No announcement yet.

Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've no wish to put a dampener on your theory but wouldn't a Jewish immigrant unable to speak English, have some difficulty finding employment as a thespian in Britain?

Pirate

Comment

• Anyone interested in an actor's life at rouighly the same period Jack was active should read On the Stage and Off by Jerome K. Jerome. While it obviously does not refer to the Yiddish theater of the time, it paints a very grim picture of the profession. Certainly, there were no patrons or producers to impress, just company managers to keep in constant sight lest they abscond with the day's take. It was also a life that would seem to have provided little time for political musings of any sort. Rather, it was a constant grind of lines learning, rehearsals, performances and travel throughout the provinces.

Appended is a contemporary illustration of an actor. Certainly flamboyant and a bit of a dandy.

Din.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Supe; 08-13-2009, 09:44 PM.
      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• Perry and Pirate,

It's quite possible that Schwartz was an actor in the Yiddish theater, of which there were a number in London, including in Dorset Street. Having said that, it was the reporter's opinion that Schwartz was 'theatrical looking', whatever that means. The value I get out of that is the indication that Schwartz was not hassidic. Perry's notion that actor's would have been 'religion neutral' is, to my mind, completing unfounded.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
          But where is the evidence that there was any sort of club involvement in the crime itself apart from the unfortunate geography?
          Indeed, Caz...

Elizabeth Long covered up for the Society of Politically Apathetic English Protestants based at 29 Hanbury Street!!

(Sorry, just transplanting the idea to another scenario to see how it compared.)
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• We don't have another elephant in the room here do we?

This time Pink ...

I understand that this upsets some people state side?

Pirate

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              Perry and Pirate,

It's quite possible that Schwartz was an actor in the Yiddish theater, of which there were a number in London, including in Dorset Street. Having said that, it was the reporter's opinion that Schwartz was 'theatrical looking', whatever that means. The value I get out of that is the indication that Schwartz was not hassidic. Perry's notion that actor's would have been 'religion neutral' is, to my mind, completing unfounded.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
              Hi Tom,

Its actually current local stage actors that I used to make my comments, many of which I know .Politics is indeed of great interest to many of them today, primarily for concerns regarding the preservation of arts funding and the protection of our cultural diversity. But religion is for the most part left a subjective thing, having little or nothing to do with their "craft", and I know zero actors who perform only within their own ethic communities, although Im sure a small non-professional group do.

If Schwartz was "theatrical looking" and not ethnically tagged in the same line, I thought perhaps he was an actor in the broader sense, within the theatrical community locally at large, but perhaps not limited to "Yiddish Theatre" as you mention. I suppose Schwartz might be either type, my guess is that without a qualifier like "Yiddish Theater actor", "theatrical looking"...as in flamboyant and expressive....might just mean he acts.

To Dons comments, all I can say is that for local community theater, or mainstream theater at large, raising money and appeasing the producers has always been integral to their success and their livelihood....which is why youll find almost any actor worth his or her salt very willing to portray ideals or characters that within their personal faith might be abhorrent notions. Good acting training teaches people to leave their own personal makeup and agendas outside, and to become an empty vessel that the character can occupy. Good economic training for actors is getting them to understand that they cannot afford to limit their work potential by their look or religious principles. That process detaches actors from their own ethnicity and religious foundations. Therefore to be a true actor, you must be ultimately flexible with your own your perspectives and beliefs, and be a human canvass instead. Because the character, not the actor, chooses his or her own beliefs, regardless of how they may or may not marry with their own philosophies.

Mainstream professional actors in an economy like the one that existed in London in 1888 would be as "religion neutral" as they needed to be to get productions mounted. Im afraid that actors and hookers share a commonality,...they are who you want them to be.

Think of the last time you saw or read about an actor who lives his or her professional life strictly according to their own religious doctrines. Think Richard Gere only works on films that respect animals and all living things? Would he work on a Chinese funded film if the story and character and money were right?

His life and values are kept separate from the ones his characters have....or his employers.

Again, just addressing some posts at my comments....sorry to get off topic.

Best regards all.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Blimmey Michael, this disease you describe sound's very similar to a course my daughter is taking in London called 'Silver Younges'

Any advice welcome, trusting it is not catching

Pirate

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                  Blimmey Michael, this disease you describe sound's very similar to a course my daughter is taking in London called 'Silver Younges'

Any advice welcome, trusting it is not catching

Pirate
                  Hi Pirate,

Im assuming this is Performing Arts education....music, acting?

Then get used to hearing "vessel"....thats my advice.

Cheers mate.

Comment

• Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                    Hi Pirate,

Im assuming this is Performing Arts education....music, acting?

Then get used to hearing "vessel"....thats my advice.

Cheers mate.
                    I don't think us oldies get a choice in the matter

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate Jack
                      We don't have another elephant in the room here do we?

This time Pink ...

I understand that this upsets some people state side?
                      Since Don and I are the only Americans presently posting, what is the elephant and who do you assume is upset?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        Indeed, Caz...

Elizabeth Long covered up for the Society of Politically Apathetic English Protestants based at 29 Hanbury Street!!

(Sorry, just transplanting the idea to another scenario to see how it compared.)
                        And of course, Sam, a certain lavatorially challenged ear witness obviously had his work cut out to prevent a stink involving himself and fellow members of the Privy Council based at 27.

I suspect a genetic condition, hence the rather onomatopoeic surname: Cadosch ("the Splosh"). I believe he was also a deeply religious man as he was known to call out "Jesus Christ Almighty" every morning when nature called at 4am and he woke as regular as clockwork at 5.15.

Clearly there was something in the water with all these members going through the motions and covering their arses, by pretending that it was business as usual and just "another murder" in Whitechapel which had nothing to do with them personally.

A likely story.

Love,

Caz
                        X

PS If I can't beat the off topic shi*, I may as well add to it.
                        Last edited by caz; 08-14-2009, 05:46 PM.
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry Mason
                          Its actually current local stage actors that I used to make my comments, many of which I know .Politics is indeed of great interest to many of them today, primarily for concerns regarding the preservation of arts funding and the protection of our cultural diversity. But religion is for the most part left a subjective thing, having little or nothing to do with their "craft", and I know zero actors who perform only within their own ethic communities, although Im sure a small non-professional group do.
                          Since when was Canada 'culturally diverse'? You gotta be careful comparing people of today to those of 1888. That's a very Cappuccina approach to Ripperology that usually backfires. These days many actors are atheists because they're gay, liberal, or from California. But many (such as Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis, and countless others) see no reason they have to lose their soul to follow their calling. I understand where you're coming from, but I still consider it very unfair generalization to assume all or most actors are Godless creatures.

Regarding Schwartz, the reporter found him of 'theatrical appearance' but he did not say that he was actually in the theater. It's just a way of describing his appearance.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            Regarding Schwartz, the reporter found him of 'theatrical appearance'
                            He wore tights and carried a skull around with him?

Comment

• Perhaps he was running around shouting “out damn spot?’

Comment

• Seriously, years ago, I played with the possibility that "theatrical appearance" could be describing "Astrakhan Man".

Comment

Working...
                                X