Where Did The Shawl Come From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Did The Shawl Come From?

I've been reading about Jack The Ripper since the Autumn of 1988 and I never heard a single thing about a shawl until recently. Am I to assume that an actual piece of physical evidence survived being lost, destroyed, or pilfered?

I don't recall Eddowes' belongings being recorded anywhere. And wouldn't she have been buried in the clothes she was wearing at the time of her death, or did a funeral home provide a nice dress free of charge?

G'day Trick Dicky

According to Mr E it was pinched by a police man [Amos Simpson] and took a blood and semen stained piece of material home to wifey, but since there is no record of it at the scene of the murder nor at the mortuary, and the ridiculous nature of any claim that a police officer [with the approval of his supervisor according to Edwards] would take evidence let alone take such an item home to his wife, many doubt this.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Mr President,

This question has really been covered to death in the main thread on the subject of the shawl. You can get yourself up to speed on that by skimming that very extensive thread. I don't think we really need another thread going over the same ground again. Most of us are still trying to regain our sanity after reading the first one

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
        Mr President,

This question has really been covered to death in the main thread on the subject of the shawl. You can get yourself up to speed on that by skimming that very extensive thread. I don't think we really need another thread going over the same ground again. Most of us are still trying to regain our sanity after reading the first one
        G'day Henry

I've given up on the whole sanity thing.

Probably given up on the table cloth too.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

To give a short recount:
          Not sure when it first showed up, family descendants of Pc Simpson leant it to the Yards Black Museum. It had no proven relationship to the case so eventually it was given back. It was then put up for auction where it didn't reach its reserve, but was sold immediately after to Russell Edwards.

Pc Simpson was met police, and Kate Eddowes died in city police area. Simpson was later proven to have moved to Cheshunt Herts 1881 and was stationed there at the northern end of N division. No where near Mitre Square.
          Police inventories of Eddowes earlier arrest for drunkenness and the scene of her demise describe no such shawl, neither does a police sketch of the scene.
          Make of that what you will.

Comment

Richard .... E Nixon?
            What´s with the E?

the best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Richard .... E Nixon?
              What´s with the E?

the best,
              Fisherman
              First letter of evil?

Comment

GUT - re your giving up on the whole sanity thing, it had been widely noted, rest assured

DicksyNix:

Am I to assume that an actual piece of physical evidence survived being lost, destroyed, or pilfered?
                Evidence often survives being lost, but no evidence ever survives being destroyed. This particular piece of evidence is alleged to have survived precisely because it was pilfered.

Comment

GUT - re your giving up on the whole sanity thing, it had been widely noted, rest assured

DicksyNix:

Evidence often survives being lost, but no evidence ever survives being destroyed. This particular piece of evidence is alleged to have survived precisely because it was pilfered.
                  G'day Henry

And proud of it I be.
                  G U T

Comment

Hi,

The second photograph of MJK was definately pillfered,albeit returned some considerable time later. But no one appears to be claiming that it is fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
                      Hi,

The second photograph of MJK was definately pillfered,albeit returned some considerable time later. But no one appears to be claiming that it is fraud.
                      What has one got to do with the other.

IF it was definitely pilfered we know where it came from.

And there is a long thread where some are adamant that it is a fraud.
                      G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        And there is a long thread where some are adamant that it is a fraud.
                        Which tells us a lot about the worthlessness of adamance.

('The Worthlessness of Adamance'; that could be a good name for a sequel to 'The Audacity of Hope', and far more apt than the original.)

Comment

Which tells us a lot about the worthlessness of adamance.

('The Worthlessness of Adamance'; that could be a good name for a sequel to 'The Audacity of Hope', and far more apt than the original.)
                          And maybe a good name for some JtR books??
                          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            And maybe a good name for some JtR books??
                            OH yes!

And maybe a good new name for 'Message Boards'

Comment

Hi Gut,

The photograph disappeared for decades and then mysteriously was returned. It doesnt take a genius to work out that some one took it.

The point is that it exists.

On the reliability of the shawl I am awaiting further DNA evidence, or perhaps evidence regarding the validity of the DNA evidence presented.

All I am saying that it is not beyond belief that somewhere other items valuable to the case could exist, and could one day be found.

Comment

Working...
                              X