No announcement yet.

A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps the consideration was being allowed access to the shawl. If Jari has developed a method for extracting ancient DNA, he might not have too many opportunities to test it out. But if that were the case, you would imagine that he would be as hot on provenance as anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
      I think considering all of your hard work he certainly owes you a moral obligation. Mind you, I'm not sure that your alternative conclusions, which contradict both his and Dr Jari's analysis, will necessarily help his book sales!
      Maybe, therefore, his gratitude to you, for drawing his attention to his mistakes and failings, maybe slightly tempered!
      Chris, you'll probably get, what's the old saying - five-eighths of three-fifths of stuff-all?
      Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
        Oh dear I seem to have entered a legal minefield! I should perhaps point out that I graduated some time ago. Nonetheless, a basic principle of English Law is that you can't have a legally binding agreement without the element of consideration.

In respect of confidentiality agreements it does appear that you can address the problem of consideration if you draft a document in the form of a deed; include a token obligation, i.e an agreement by the other party to pay £1; or include mutuality in some other way, such as an exchange of mutually beneficial promises: see Thorpe et al. (1999), p52.
        G'day John

Not so sorry a contract needs consideration a deed doesn't, but as you say the consderation can be a pepper corn or a penny.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligo Umbrator View Post
          Hi, John G.
          I understand what you're saying.
          Surely, though, a non-disclosure agreement would be legally binding, if signed by all parties.
          And such an agreement doesn't require any economic exchange to take place - it can be used purely to ensure that intellectual property or personal confidential information is protected from dissemination.
          What I'm saying here is that one could potentially sign a form of contract that might require silence regarding certain facts and not actually receive any financial or economic benefits in return.

Your, Caligo.
          G'day Caligo

The short answer on this one is maybe.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Sad, sad, sad.
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

Though there is one good comment left.
              G U T

Comment

Hi, drstrange,
                17 different documentary offers? That's great news from their point of view. For those of us seeking further elucidation on specific matters regarding the mDNA that was found I would suspect that its rather less good.
                https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

• Film....

Originally posted by Caligo Umbrator View Post
                  Hi, drstrange,
                  17 different documentary offers? That's great news from their point of view. For those of us seeking further elucidation on specific matters regarding the mDNA that was found I would suspect that its rather less good.
                  Ooh,

Think they should really go with Tim Burton on this....fantasy is more up his street.

Amanda

Comment

'Strewth!

They must be hoping nothing rains on the party from here on in.
                    Mick Reed

Comment

• Well this little cumulus nimbus is thinking more and more that some sort of public accounting needs to occur.
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Well this little cumulus nimbus is thinking more and more that some sort of public accounting needs to occur.
                        Who knows what storms may yet occur?

I'd be even more disturbed if I thought he realised it was a mistake and was trying to cover it up. Because, as we've seen from the replies to Mick's enquiries, it's the kind of mistake that will be obvious to people working in his field.

I think he just hasn't understood - or perhaps even considered properly - the explanations that have been put to him. Of course, that's disturbing enough in itself.
                        Chris's words. Perhaps we now know whay he can't admit to owt, or daren't look more closely.
                        Mick Reed

Comment

• Hi Amanda,

I really can't see this ever becoming a movie. At least not a movie based purely on the book. One could juxtapose scenes from the events in 1888 to the modern day investigation, I suppose but I think the drama would be limited.
                          It really would have to be a ' Da Vinci code ' style movie to work.
                          https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

Last edited by Caligo Umbrator; 10-16-2014, 11:46 PM. Reason: delete accidental post.

Comment

• And while Russell is still trying to take in the incredible amount of interest, it’s absolutely stunned Jari, who says: “My life has suddenly taken a new direction. After 25 years of doing research for limited audiences, I now find myself in a situation where – after all the countless TV, radio and Press interviews we’ve done – some 800 million people in countries including the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Israel have seen the story which involves this particular research.”

It's the kind of thing that could certainly turn someone's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                And while Russell is still trying to take in the incredible amount of interest, it’s absolutely stunned Jari, who says: “My life has suddenly taken a new direction. After 25 years of doing research for limited audiences, I now find myself in a situation where – after all the countless TV, radio and Press interviews we’ve done – some 800 million people in countries including the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Israel have seen the story which involves this particular research.”

It's the kind of thing that could certainly turn someone's head.
                                And, seemingly, all from an 'error in nomenclature'.
                                Mick Reed

Comment

Working...
                                X