A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
    I'm sure you're right Chris, overall. But surely if it highlighted, as I am utterly confident it would, that 314.1C is really 315.1C, then wouldn't it destroy the published claims about the significant aspects of the match, and thereby throw everything into disarray?
    Yes. I suppose I just can't understand why Dr Louhelainen hasn't acknowledged the problem. It shouldn't be necessary for people to go to the lengths of repeating his work independently, to get him to do that.

Comment

• Maybe it's time to put the question to him on his Twitter account.
      Last edited by Theagenes; 10-13-2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• I'd bring up the contamination element too. The fact that these weren't tested correctly by jari suggests something that's not good. From the procedure poster about "ancient DNA handling" it appears jari didn't follow the procedure necessary. While we are at it...can we get a DNA test on whether Jari is male or female? He's a spitting image of my 5th grade substitute mrs G
        Last edited by RockySullivan; 10-13-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Yes. I suppose I just can't understand why Dr Louhelainen hasn't acknowledged the problem. It shouldn't be necessary for people to go to the lengths of repeating his work independently, to get him to do that.
          Where would he comment, Chris? He doesn't seem to frequent the boards. I must say I'm a wee bit surprised that silence seems to have descended so completely.

I may be quite wrong, but I get the impression that some members of the forums do have contacts with RE/JL in some form or other. Can they shed any light?

I mean, even if we are wrong on this point, and we're not, you'd expect someone to refute us if only to allay doubts amongst potential readers. I mean, it is possible that what is said in the book, is absolutely not what was meant. If that were the case, then the sooner a correction is made, the better.

So far, to my knowledge, our case has been confined to the forums, but it surely will go more widely at some point.

Cheers
          Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

Where would he comment, Chris? He doesn't seem to frequent the boards. I must say I'm a wee bit surprised that silence seems to have descended so completely.
            Twitter seems to be his preferred mode of communication. But I'd hope that when the penny does finally drop, he will also be contacting those who have raised this problem with him privately.

Comment

Twitter seems to be his preferred mode of communication. But I'd hope that when the penny does finally drop, he will also be contacting those who have raised this problem with him privately.
              The longer he keeps schtum, the worse he will look, and not just with the Ripper community. One would think that his employer would be raising an eyebrow.

Could the uni be an element in all this silence, I wonder? I mean anyone can make a mistake, so that's not an issue really, but when it goes high-profile, what then?

It's all rather good for RE, you'd think. 'Well', he might say, 'I took the scientist's word for it, what else could I do?'

Hard to argue with that. He's home scot free, with a few quid in the bank. The book becomes just an also-ran like so many others, and JL is left holding the baby.
              Mick Reed

Comment

• But is it really high profile, most people I know, know nothing about it.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  But is it really high profile, most people I know, know nothing about it.
                  Could be right, GUT. These things are relative, but. It's been on media outlets all over the world. But yeah, compared to, say, World War 3, or a royal baby, it ain't so big.

Cheers
                  Mick Reed

Comment

Maybe it's because he thinks we're nutters.
                    Attached Files
                    Mick Reed

Comment

And note what his fried says, it's about funding, if he adimts a mistake where does that leave his funding.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And note what his fried says, it's about funding, if he adimts a mistake where does that leave his funding.
                        Well GUT, whatever creek it is, there will be no paddle.
                        Mick Reed

Comment

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!
                          It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Well GUT, whatever creek it is, there will be no paddle.
                            Mmmmmmm that was the creek I was thinking of, and even if the mistake was Edwards' the university is probably, to say the least creeking itself about the damage.
                            G U T

Comment

In my case just leave out the "ter".
                              G U T

Comment

I'd be even more disturbed if I thought he realised it was a mistake and was trying to cover it up. Because, as we've seen from the replies to Mick's enquiries, it's the kind of mistake that will be obvious to people working in his field.

I think he just hasn't understood - or perhaps even considered properly - the explanations that have been put to him. Of course, that's disturbing enough in itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X