Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is confusing.

Hello Mike. Thanks.

I know what you mean. It is QUITE confusing.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
      Kosminski seems to be the local "nutter" wandering round eating from the gutter so surely he would have been well known in the areas of the murders.Of all the witnesses not one states that they have seen this man before wandering round the area.
      Kosminski only became overtly insane in the manner you describe AFTER the murders, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
        Kosminski only became overtly insane in the manner you describe AFTER the murders, no?
        He was still local ?
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
          He was still local ?
          London was one of the largest cities in the world in 1888.

Comment

I think there is a decent chance that Lawrende was mistaken because the encounter:
            1. was relatively brief,
            2. it was dark,
            3. the couple were some 15 or 16 feet away
            4. and because witness testimony is notoriously unreliable

It is very possible that Lawrende saw a woman other than Eddowes. If so and, if she were a prostitute with client, then it is unlikely that either would have come forward.

Lawrende may also have been exaggerating although he does seem to have been respected and his veracity was not questioned at the time.

Comment

A Good Policeman Never Gets Wet

I think much of this depends on the veracity of PC Watkins myself, and PC Harvey.
              Very much so. We know that Messrs Lawende, Levy & Harris were late leaving their club because they were sheltering from the rain. I don't see it as unlikely that others, perhaps even Eddowes herself, were doing the same.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                Very much so. We know that Messrs Lawende, Levy & Harris were late leaving their club because they were sheltering from the rain. I don't see it as unlikely that others, perhaps even Eddowes herself, were doing the same.
                Hello Colin,

Am I correct here in thinking that you believe that certain policemen, on duty that night, were also sheltering from the rain?

If so, I have one question.

Where could Watkins be sheltering?

I have a loose suggestion.

With a certain nightwatchman, having a cuppa..or such like.

Because when one thinks over it, it might actually explain quite a lot of things...especially the oddity that the nightwatchman failed to hear Watkins enter the square that night, yet on every other night he heard a policeman's footsteps. It might also help to explain the "break time" Watkins normally took whilst at work..but didn't that night.

Speculation of course... but the title of your posting may well be the answer to the riddle of the Mitre Square problem over times and timings?
                (A good policeman never gets wet)

What do you think Colin?

Phil
                Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM.
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  Hello Colin,

Am I correct here in thinking that you believe that certain policemen, on duty that night, were also sheltering from the rain?

If so, I have one question.

Where could Watkins be sheltering?

I have a loose suggestion.

With a certain nightwatchman, having a cuppa..or such like.

Because when one thinks over it, it might actually explain quite a lot of things...especially the oddity that the nightwatchman failed to hear Watkins enter the square that night, yet on every other night he heard a policeman's footsteps. It might also help to explain the "break time" Watkins normally took whilst at work..but didn't that night.

Speculation of course... but the title of your posting may well be the answer to the riddle of the Mitre Square problem over times and timings?
                  (A good policeman never gets wet)

What do you think Colin?

Phil
                  As you say, it is indeed entirely speculation on my part but yes,
                  I am indeed suggesting that Watkins may have been sheltering from the rain with ex-Pc George Morris at Kearley & Tonge. I don't think that's an original thought, but it is, to my mind, a plausible possibility.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    As you say, it is indeed entirely speculation on my part but yes,
                    I am indeed suggesting that Watkins may have been sheltering from the rain with ex-Pc George Morris at Kearley & Tonge. I don't think that's an original thought, but it is, to my mind, a plausible possibility.
                    Of course if that be the case then they would have been talking which would have been heard in the square. Would the killer have risked carrying out the murder with known persons in close proximity especially if the door was ajar and a light on perhaps the killer would have been able to see the police man if that had been the case.

Two sides to every argument !

Comment

Even if Watkins was having a sly cuppa' with his friend, his story only starts when the body is noticed at 1:44 am. This is the end of the time window.
                      Lawende provides the start of the time window.

I'm not seeing why it matters what Watkins was doing before he discovered the body.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It doesn't... if Lawende did see Kate Eddowes with her killer.
                        Apparently, some people haven't thought that one out.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                          Is there a problem over times and timings ?

Comment

Even if Lawende had been sure in his own mind that it was the murdered woman he saw chatting with the man, he could not have been certain that this was the same man who went on to commit the murder. For all he knew, the man could have left Eddowes unharmed and her killer could have jumped out of the shadows and taken the opportunity to pounce. Maybe this made him reluctant to say he would recognise the man again, and one can see why he wouldn't want the man hanged on his account, Jewish or not.

We have similar situations with Chapman and Stride, where the last man allegedly seen with each victim need not have been the man who killed them. The killer could have been following, watching and waiting in the wings, with the aim of striking as soon as the woman was alone and any witnesses had departed.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                              It doesn't... if Lawende did see Kate Eddowes with her killer.
                              Apparently, some people haven't thought that one out.
                              Hello Hunter,

IF... that is the question Michael asked at the start..IF Lawende DIDN'T see Kate Eddowes with her killer... THEN it makes a whole lot of difference.

Because we don't know how long Watkins or ANY policeman WASN'T on duty when they testified IF they were having a shelter from the rain..hence.. all timings are....?

Well you work it out.

That leaves us with the timings of the TWO doctors, which, when worked out, provide different possible earliest times of death.

Mind you some, if believed said that Watkins blew the whistle, not the nightwatchman. Now why would that have been said? Presumption or assumption that it was Watkins?

Phil
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                                The killer could have been following, watching and waiting in the wings, with the aim of striking as soon as the woman was alone and any witnesses had departed.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                Hello Caroline,

Or the killer could already have been IN the square waiting in the dark corner.

Which brings us back to each policeman and his beat. And sheltering from the rain...at 1.30 it was raining....

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X