No announcement yet.

The Goulston Street Apron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im not sure if anyone has already mentioned this theory as i have only just been accepted on this site and havent read all the comments on here yet, but the theory i have in my head is this...

...while working on Eddowes, quickly and in the dark he may have possibly sustained a self injury. This could have then caused him to cut away a piece of apron and use it as a bandage, and also to stop a trail of blood when fleeing. I doubt it was to just clean his knife, he could have done this on Eddowes clothing, or his own. Plus no other victim had their clothing cut, so doubt it was used to carry any of the organs. When the killer arrived in Goulston Street he may have spied a water trough or fountain, removing the apron-bandage, he threw it into the entrance to the flats and quickly washed his hands before moving on. The apron also had fecal matter on it meaning there would have been a higher risk of infection. In the dark he may not have known, or even cared about what was on the apron as stopping the bleeding and not leaving a blood trail deemed more important at the time. This would also explain the Ripper's six week leave of absence which ended with the murder of Mary Kelly.

If this is what could have happened than i beleve he would have seeked medical attention soon after, possibly at the London hospital. I then was wondering if any medical records existed of patients coming in with hand lasterations any time after the double event? Also possible suspects mug shots could bare a scar on 1 of their hands. Any1 think this theory has potential?

Comment

• Hullo hill806.

Welcome! Yes, this has been preposed before. Someone else I am sure could give you the who/what etc on it.
      Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• Welcome!

Originally posted by hill806 View Post
        Im not sure if anyone has already mentioned this theory as i have only just been accepted on this site and havent read all the comments on here yet, but the theory i have in my head is this...

...while working on Eddowes, quickly and in the dark he may have possibly sustained a self injury. This could have then caused him to cut away a piece of apron and use it as a bandage, ....
        Yes, but the piece of apron was quite large, estimated to have been half the full apron. The other point would be, why discard it? - if the wound was serious enough to warrant a large piece of apron then what occurred to cause him to throw it away, did it suddenly stop bleeding?

I doubt it was to just clean his knife, he could have done this on Eddowes clothing, or his own. Plus no other victim had their clothing cut, so doubt it was used to carry any of the organs.
        Well, apparently, Annie Chapman was wearing a scarf which was not found on her body. So if the killer needed something to carry her uterus away then this explains why none of her clothing was cut.

And yes, as Dig pointed out, this theory is already being toyed with.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• I think working in pretty much total darkness and possibly panic sticken from his sudden injury, Its POSSIBLE he cut to much of the apron that was needed. When he hid in the doorway for a few moments he may have removed the larger than needed rag to see if it had stopped bleeding...the fact the rag was too large could have been 1 factor to why he wanted to discard it as it would have stood out like a sore...hand. :P As mentioned he could then have spotted something to wash his hands with...or he was near to his home, or just somewhere he could take refuge like a family members that lived in the area.

I think it could be worth checking hospital records anyway just in case. If nothing came up then oh well.

Btw does the apron still exist? Diddnt the police take any pictures of it?

Comment

• Oh and thanks for the replies guys. Its good to know theres a place like this where you can discuss these theories with people sharing the same interest in the case.

Comment

• dark

Hello Hill. Welcome to the boards.

Actually, it was NOT as dark as all that. Dr. Sequiera said there was sufficient light without any being added.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Thanks Lynn, I have however read that PC Holland went immediately to fetch Dr George Sequira from his house on nearby Jewry Street after finding the body.
                Sequira then apparently reached Mitre Square at around 1.55am and later told the inquest that the murder had occurred in what was probably the darkest corner of the Square. Im not sure whats true now. hmm

Comment

• Sequiera

Hello Hill. Thanks.

It IS true. He said:

1. I know that corner.

2. It is the darkest in the square.

3. Notwithstanding, there was sufficient light.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• I suppose there was some light...after all Eddowes did suffer from BRIGHTS desease

Comment

• Hullo hill806.

Originally posted by hill806 View Post
                      I suppose there was some light...after all Eddowes did suffer from BRIGHTS desease
                      That was beautiful. Keep it up.
                      Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• Hullo again hill806.

If the murderer did indeed cut the apron, transport, and deposit it in Goulston street, I would suggest the possibility that whatever the killer took the bloody organs away in was wrapped up inside the apron. I'd put a little money on that. It's too big for cleaning. Too big for a cut. Just too big. It doesn't exclude them as possibilities but what would you do with a piece of that size? Now it may have not been bloody enough for the organs to have been in directly. So wrap it around your initial carrying device so blood can't seep through and get you bloody(ier) and you don't leave a trail. Just something to think about if you find any merit in it.
                        Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                          Long's version was also witnessed by the Inspector, so apart from a spelling correction, we also have confirmation.

Assuming that both copied the original, rather than one officer copying the note made by the other.
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• It could have been written by the killer or it could be just one of a lot of similar sentiments written by all sorts of people. The knife may or may not have landed underneath by chance.
                            Hi Chava,

Piece of apron surely - not knife?

Comment

• If this is what could have happened than i believe he would have seeked medical attention soon after, possibly at the London hospital. I then was wondering if any medical records existed of patients coming in with hand lasterations any time after the double event?
                              Hi Hill,

Welcome to the Boards.

The In-Patient Records of the London Hospital for the relevant time are held in the archives on Prescot Street, but you need to make an appointment to view them. Well worth the effort though.

Comment

• Yeah id say it is worth the effort and if nothing came from it then at leist it could be ruled out. Now regardless of the fact it was completly dark or just quite dark, he could have still cut himself if he was working quickly and frantically, especially if only an hour ago he had killed stride and wasnt able to finish. He also possibly nearly got caught and he knew police were still out after him. He may have still cut the piece of apron larger because he was hurrying, or just because he would wrap it around his cut a good few times. Anyway i think the killer would have blended in with the shadows, possibly wearing a dark coat, thus the reason no1 saw any blood on him and i personally imagined he would just shove the organs in his pockets of the coat.

Comment

Working...
                                X