Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Blenkingsop suggests Ripper accomplice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Blenkingsop suggests Ripper accomplice?

I was suprised upon reading JTR CSI the new book, the information on this man which I had never come across before. I find this highly suspicious conspiracy or not that he was not requested at the inquest one and two that anyone would be asking what his suspect asked when he asked, third, the suspect was a "respectably-dressed man". Someone was following the Ripper, maybe the "Lipski" story was true.

Sugden point in the above WIKI explanation makes no sense, if it was after the crime was detected, Blenkinsop would have acted accordingly and mentioned a murder.

Comment

possible explanation

Hello Krinoid. My understanding is that Blenkingsop was watching near St. James place. He was chatted up about seeing a man and woman. He denied it.

A possible explanation is that his interrogators were Met tecs. If he told the truth, either:

1. He were particularly unobservant

or

2. Kate's assassin did not exit the square through St. James passage but rather through Mitre Street or Church passage.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

The encounter was supposed to be 1:30am.

Comment

I don't see any particular reason why Blenkinsop would be called to give evidence at the inquest as he couldn't say anything material to the enquiry. As you say, he claimed this approach was made about 1.30am, at which time there was no particular reason for anyone to notice a man and a woman, even supposing they had been there.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Because if the time is correct, how would this mystery man even be there and know to ask where to go,and if he was a policeman or such why not be dressed as one or identify himself?

Comment

fixing time

Hello Krinoid. Thanks.

"The encounter was supposed to be 1:30am."

Indeed. And although I won't bore you with a lecture on LVP time pieces, I will ask, by what did he fix the time?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

tecs

Hello (again) Krinoid.

"if he was a policeman or such why not be dressed as one or identify himself?"

Plainclothes, perhaps?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Mystery man

Who is this man? This private individual.

James Harvey, at inquest, from the Daily Telegraph.

James Harvey, City constable, 964: On the night of Saturday, Sept. 29, I was on duty in the neighbourhood of Houndsditch and Aldgate. I was there at the time of the murder, but did not see any one nor hear any cry. When I got into Aldgate, returning towards Duke-street, I heard a whistle and saw the witness Morris with a lamp. I asked him what was the matter, and he told me that a woman had been ripped up in Mitre-square. Together with Constable Hollins I went to Mitre-square, where Watkins was by the side of the body of the deceased. Hollins went for Dr. Sequeira, and a private individual was despatched for other constables, who arrived almost immediately

Regards

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    "if he was a policeman or such why not be dressed as one or identify himself?"

Plainclothes, perhaps?
                    One speculation was that he was a policeman sent to tail Eddowes, perhaps with her knowledge if she was working with police or perhaps without her knowledge if police were using her for Ripper bait.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan

Could he be the man mentioned above? Or woman, notice gender is not given in Harvey's statement.Vigilance committee even?

Regards

Observer

Comment

Possibly - it seems pretty vague.
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

It is vague, I'd agree. This individual, was at the scene pretty sharp, as he was there when Morris returned with Harvey and Hollins. Watkins was with the body, Morris returned to his warehouse, Hollins was sent for a doctor, and "the private individual", was sent for more officers. Harvey sadi he waited with Watkins. The term private individual intrigues me, it doesn't seem to indicate a member of the police force.

Regards

Observer
                          Last edited by Observer; 01-30-2013, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                            I am glad the suggestion that Eddowes may have been followed with , or without her knowledge, using her as a decoy has been mentioned.
                            This has been my baby ever since I read of the Blenkinsop encounter way back, and I have brought it up many times on Casebook, but it has never been openly discussed.
                            If one takes into account many factors leading up to the arrest and release of Eddowes, one can easily speculate that such a event happened.
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

The respectably-dressed man was undoubtably one of the three City Detectives who were nearby, Halse, Marriott and Outram.

Afer the Detectives arrived on the scene they fanned out to have the neighbourhood searched and every man examined. Halse proceeded to Middlesex St, presumably via the direct route, through Church Passage, leaving the other two Detectives to exit the square through the two other exits. Blenkingsop`s man has to be either Detective Marriott or Outram, who would have asked exactly that question as he passed the night watchman.

Blenkingsop, like many Ripper witnesses, was out with his time. It was 2am and not 1.30am. If he owned a watch he would not have carried it at work as he would know that you don`t do a night shift with valuables on you.

The report was in the press and we know the Police read these reports (newspaper cutting were found in the Whitechapel Murders file) and it would have been easily corroborated by the Detectives.

Comment

Working...
                              X