New Catherine Eddowes baptism found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Catherine Eddowes baptism found

Catherine Eddowes was baptized at St Peter’s Church in Wolverhampton. Many who attended the Wolverhampton conference of 2007 may remember this church close to the conference venue and outside stands a fine statue of Lady Wulfren.

The full baptism entry reads:

Catherine Eddows baptized 26th April 1842. The address of her parents George and Catherine was given as Merridale Street, Wolverhampton.

There are also entries for her siblings:

Alfred Eddows 2nd August 1833
    Harriet Eddows 3rd October 1834
    Emma Eddows 30th November 1835
    Eliza Eddows 14th May 1837
    Eliza Eddowes 23rd September 1838

Their father George is recorded as a locksmith for Alfred’s baptism but afterwards as a tinplate worker.

The last baptism is meant to read Elizabeth Eddowes and was the only one spelt with an ‘e’ between w and s.
    “be just and fear not”

Splendid work!

Comment

Excellent Jenni - didn't I read somewhere recently that many of the descendants have also subsequently discarded the second E in the Eddowes surname? Can't recall where though (Damned memory!)

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Excellent Jenni - didn't I read somewhere recently that many of the descendants have also subsequently discarded the second E in the Eddowes surname? Can't recall where though (Damned memory!)

All the best

Dave
        In all honesty, there is unlikely to be direct descendants to Catherine called Eddowes. Her children were called Conway, and even her sisters children were called various names like Jones, Gold, Fisher and Good. Her brothers probably didn't have any children. So whoever those Eddowes people are, they are probably very distant cousins at best.

All the best
        “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi Jenni

Thanks for clarifying...still racking my (addled) brains trying to remember where I saw that...it was recently too...Doubtless it'll come to me eventually!

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
            Catherine Eddowes was baptized at St Peter’s Church in Wolverhampton. Many who attended the Wolverhampton conference of 2007 may remember this church close to the conference venue and outside stands a fine statue of Lady Wulfren.

The full baptism entry reads:

Catherine Eddows baptized 26th April 1842. The address of her parents George and Catherine was given as Merridale Street, Wolverhampton.

There are also entries for her siblings:

Alfred Eddows 2nd August 1833
            Harriet Eddows 3rd October 1834
            Emma Eddows 30th November 1835
            Eliza Eddows 14th May 1837
            Eliza Eddowes 23rd September 1838

Their father George is recorded as a locksmith for Alfred’s baptism but afterwards as a tinplate worker.

The last baptism is meant to read Elizabeth Eddowes and was the only one spelt with an ‘e’ between w and s.
            Wonderful research, Jenni, thanks for sharing.

Can't help wondering . . . Since Catherine Eddowes was born in 1842 in Wolverhampton, and since William Henry Bury (born about 1859) spent his teen years and early years in Wolverhampton ----

Just starts my mind to wondering . . . .

How big was Wolverhampton?

Might there be some findable connection between the families?

And if Catherine Eddowes might have had reason to believe Bury was JtR?

The age difference would likely mean that she was grown and gone before he arrived there, but perhaps there were rumors????

Very interesting, Jenni.

Thanks

curious

Comment

Kate

This proves that the newspaper (can't remember which) report that Kate's parents moved to London as newly-weds is wrong.

Best wishes,
              C4

Comment

Working...
              X