Kate's Apron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

Do you have any idea what GUT used to do for a living?
    Actually still do from time to time, just no desire (actually not true, still the desire but the body won’t cooperate) to work 100 hour weeks or run 60-100 trials a year anymore.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

Actually still do from time to time, just no desire (actually not true, still the desire but the body won’t cooperate) to work 100 hour weeks or run 60-100 trials a year anymore.
      Ah, I thought as much. Your succinct summary of hearsay evidence, combined with your knowledge it is taught in dedicated papers over multiple semesters, suggested a legal background.

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Ah, I thought as much. Your succinct summary of hearsay evidence, combined with your knowledge it is taught in dedicated papers over multiple semesters, suggested a legal background.

- Jeff
        I am a Barrister, occasionally I have sat as a Judge, I have also lectured in law at University level, I am married to an Historian who has published works that are (or were) required reading in University level history courses in Australia, Japan, England, Denmark, France, Holland and the USA, at least.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

- Jeff
          it dosnt matter what one does for a living when discussing this case. trevor was a detective for god sake. lawyers dont mean **** either. give me a good researcher with common sense any day.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I am a Barrister, occasionally I have sat as a Judge, I have also lectured in law at University level, I am married to an Historian who has published works that are (or were) required reading in University level history courses in Australia, Japan, England, Denmark, France, Holland and the USA, at least.
            who cares dude. good for you

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• like i said this thread has deteriorated into people trying to impress each other.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

who cares dude. good for you
                Ummm, I was asked. The only reason I replied, the whole thread has been a joke since it started,
                G U T

Comment

Ummm, I was asked. The only reason I replied, the whole thread has been a joke since it started,
                  maybe we should start a thread where everyone can brag about their credentials.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

it dosnt matter what one does for a living when discussing this case. trevor was a detective for god sake. lawyers dont mean **** either. give me a good researcher with common sense any day.
                    Oh, don't get me wrong, when it comes to the case discussions directly our backgrounds don't mean a thing. They just give us different strengths to draw upon, but in the end, it comes down to an evaluation of the quality of the reasoning we present and that is unrelated to what we do outside of the forums. And I don't care what someone's background is, or what they do in every day life, when it comes to that point. I'm a researcher, primarily in visual perception but have dabbled in other areas, like the geographical profiling stuff I've presented. I'm not a historian, but I am aware of research methods and have done a lot of reading on the philosophy of research (don't get me started, unless you really need a nap). But that doesn't mean if I make a flawed argument it isn't just as flawed as if someone with a different background had made it; flawed is flawed. I hope, though, I'll recognize and accept it when my flaw is pointed out to me when it happens in the future, as I believe I have on at least the majority of occasions in the past where this has occurred.

- Jeff

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong, when it comes to the case discussions directly our backgrounds don't mean a thing. They just give us different strengths to draw upon, but in the end, it comes down to an evaluation of the quality of the reasoning we present and that is unrelated to what we do outside of the forums. And I don't care what someone's background is, or what they do in every day life, when it comes to that point. I'm a researcher, primarily in visual perception but have dabbled in other areas, like the geographical profiling stuff I've presented. I'm not a historian, but I am aware of research methods and have done a lot of reading on the philosophy of research (don't get me started, unless you really need a nap). But that doesn't mean if I make a flawed argument it isn't just as flawed as if someone with a different background had made it; flawed is flawed. I hope, though, I'll recognize and accept it when my flaw is pointed out to me when it happens in the future, as I believe I have on at least the majority of occasions in the past where this has occurred.

- Jeff
                      word! i hear ya jeff. im just sick of the whole background crap, heck, according to pierre, im a historian! LOL

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

maybe we should start a thread where everyone can brag about their credentials.
                        Hi Abby Normal,

No, it's just the thread topic really could have been resolved in a couple of posts and left at that. It's dragged on far longer than useful. It's turned into a bit of a "getting to know each other" as a result of some of the issues being talked about. It's just normal conversations, no one's bragging here by simply stating what they do (which is a very normal topic to get into when socializing). You could call us for going "off topic", but that train de-railed a few stations back I'm afraid.

- Jeff

Comment

Hi Abby Normal,

No, it's just the thread topic really could have been resolved in a couple of posts and left at that. It's dragged on far longer than useful. It's turned into a bit of a "getting to know each other" as a result of some of the issues being talked about. It's just normal conversations, no one's bragging here by simply stating what they do (which is a very normal topic to get into when socializing). You could call us for going "off topic", but that train de-railed a few stations back I'm afraid.

- Jeff
                          oh ok. well just for the record im a hand model

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

oh ok. well just for the record im a hand model
                            And that of course is another point, anyone can claim to be anything.
                            G U T

Comment

• Found at 2:55am yet reported at 2:40am
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Ok, now we're doing it. Let's not take a nasty turn here. The chatty stuff probably should have been done via PM's, I accept that. Sure, we could all pretend to be something we're not, but that would serve no purpose in the end, given we're all going to focus on the arguments presented and not worry about the profession of who they come from. I think it's nice to know such things as it personalizes us all more than just random names at the top or bottom of a post, but not everyone need share that view.

So, as I've tried to do a few times (the fact it has required a few attempts already shows why I really shouldn't be a moderator), if there's anything left to discuss about Kate's Apron, and it's worn status, we should get on to that. I can't say I have anything I think needs to be initiated.

- Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X