Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Eddows Know her killer ?

Hello all ,

I was just reading through some old press when i stumbled upon this ol chestnut !

A reporter gleaned some curious information from the Casual Ward Superintendent of Mile End, regarding Kate Eddowes, the Mitre-square victim. She was formerly well-known in the casual wards there, but had disappeared for a considerable time until the Friday preceding her murder. Asking the woman where she had been in the interval, the superintendent was met with the reply, that she had been in the country "hopping". "But," added the woman, "I have come back to earn the reward offered for the apprehension of the Whitechapel murderer. I think I know him." "Mind he doesn't murder you too" replied the superintendent jocularly. "Oh, no fear of that," was the remark made by Kate Eddowes as she left. Within four-and-twenty hours afterwards she was a mutilated corpse.
    Which begs the question, did Eddows know her killer ?

cheers

moonbegger

the apocrypha

Hello MB. That story might be a tad apocryphal.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi Lynn ,

Maybe a tad , but when do we know who to believe , and who not to believe as far as the press is concerned ? very interesting all the same

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
        Which begs the question, did Eddows know her killer ?
        To be fair, she only said, " I think I know him.", a claim made by a number of people, ...as we can see, she was also mistaken.

Regards, Jon S.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
        X