Is Eddowes demise the key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now DB, you are talking my language.

News paper trawls indicate Knife crime were fairly common with stabbings far outweighing throat cuts.

Yet we have multiple killers in a small area favouring throat cuts.

How lucky is that?

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

facts

Hello DB.

"we should try to stick to the facts, no matter how difficult it may be to do so"

Just so. And that is in part because there are so few of them.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

I'm at a loss.

Hello Abby.

"Now can we all forget about this nonsense about Jack the Ripper and get back to work?"

You should be a prophet.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

research

Hello DB.

"Has anybody ever looked into the frequency of murder vs. the frequency of murder by knife in the White Chapel Area for the years surrounding the WCM?"

Well, sort of. But the population sample is skewed by fiat, as a certain gender is excluded and certain ages are too. Also, there was a bit of a conundrum about stabbing vs ripping, and knife vs sharp instrument.

If you wish to pursue this, PM me and I can supply you with all of "Lloyd's Weekly" for 1888. Then YOU decide.

Game?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello DB.

"Has anybody ever looked into the frequency of murder vs. the frequency of murder by knife in the White Chapel Area for the years surrounding the WCM?"

Well, sort of. But the population sample is skewed by fiat, as a certain gender is excluded and certain ages are too. Also, there was a bit of a conundrum about stabbing vs ripping, and knife vs sharp instrument.

If you wish to pursue this, PM me and I can supply you with all of "Lloyd's Weekly" for 1888. Then YOU decide.

Game?

Cheers.
            LC
            Wow. Nothing about this case is simple is it? But yes, I'll PM later after taking care of tedious school faculty duties that can not be avoided.
            Last edited by D.B.Wagstaff; 03-01-2012, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Heh,

Let me provide the evidence for you then you can make your own mind up.

Genius Lynn, you'd make a fine career in politics or religion.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                Hello DB.

Game?

Cheers.
                LC
                I thought the standout was the abdominal component, not the throat cuts?
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

And yet, how many victims of "throat slashing", had been strangled first?

Three componants; strangle (choke), throat slashing, abdominal mutilation.
                  All seem to set one style of killing apart from the crowd.

Regards, Jon S.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

OK

Hello DB. Sounds good.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

honestum

Hello Neil. Thanks. But at my age, I'm almost ready to hang it up.

Politics or religion? Too honest for the first, not honest enough for the second.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Later, Liz.

Hello Errata. OK. Then say goodby to Liz Stride.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Dos mi Amigo.

Hello Jon.

"And yet, how many victims of "throat slashing", had been strangled first?"

Exactly two that we are sure of--Polly Nichols and Annie Chapman.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                            Now, But what caused him to break his routine and escalate with Eddowes? Why did he cut up her face? He was pressed for time, he was not as secluded as he had been with other victims. And if popular theory is true that he was frustrated by not getting Stride, he would be more inclined to stick with his ritual that ever. His discomfort would not appear in new injuries, but in the savagery of the consistent injuries. I think he cut her face because he had to. He could not continue with his ritual with her face looking at him. So why her face? Did he know her? Did she look like someone? That's why I think she's the key.
                            I disagree with this train of thought, but agree with the general point. I think if he was frustrated by Stride that would increase the likelihood of more savagery with Eddowes. Given how dark it was, I also don't think he would have a problem with the victim's face staring at him during the mutilations. Nonetheless, this is the first instance of facial mutiliation and whether or not that represents something interesting beyond escalation is an interesting subject.

Comment

Hi Barnaby and Errata, I tend to disagree with both of you.

Barnaby, if that was the reason why he mutilated Kate's face, then why repeating it with Kelly ? There was no double event that night.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                                Barnaby, if that was the reason why he mutilated Kate's face, then why repeating it with Kelly ? There was no double event that night.
                                I didn't express any opinion as to why it was done. I said that IF he was frustrated with Stride, that could provide a motivation for the increased violence, but that certainly isn't the only explanation. However, the facial mutilations with Eddowes and Kelly could simply reflect a "normal" escalation of violence. Or are the facial mutilations meaningful beyond this?
                                Last edited by Barnaby; 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                                X