Catherine or Catharine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherine or Catharine?

I am sure that this has been discussed before so apologies for that but after a trawl round the boards I am still confused. Which is it?

Best wishes,

Steve.

Catherine Steven.

The error arose from an error by a census taker or registrar (cant remember which).

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Catherine Steven.

The error arose from an error by a census taker or registrar (cant remember which).

Monty
      Thanks, Monty, only I came across an article on here which stated it was spelled Catharine on her birth certificate and that Kate's mother was also called Catharine.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Huh yeah I thought that it was establish as Catharine from her birth certificate. I am a Katherine and I can get quite cross if it is mispelled!
        In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

This was discussed at least once on these boards before the last crash. I'm not sure I remember the details clearly, but I believe "Catharine" first surfaced in 1991 with the publication of the A-Z where one of the authors (Begg, I think) got it from her birth certificate. Turned out the the spelling on the certificate was incorrect and that her name was actually "Catherine". Nearly all authors now, including Begg, have adopted "Catherine", although I notice that a lot of people avoid the issue completely by calling her Kate.

Comment

LOL, something we have in common!
            In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Yeah Catherine and Kate was what she appeared to call herself in all the records I've seen. I've not tracked down her baptism, which if there is one, could confirm that her parents never gave her the alternative Catharine spelling, but I've not given up hope yet.

Comment

Working...
              X