Eddowes Photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stewart,

Not Macnaghten, eh? Then I give up. Who was it?

Who is it a photograph of? Unfortunately I don't know the name, but there's a number of clues to suggest it isn't Eddowes.

The corpse is laying in a boat. Look at all the surrounding bits and pieces.
    The corpse has been severed at around waist level.
    The head and face are completely different sizes and shapes compared to the other Eddowes pics.
    If this photograph was taken before the post-mortem there are no wounds on the body which match those inflicted in Mitre Square.
    And if this photograph was taken after the post-mortem then the stitching running from her neck to groin is absent.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Photograph

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      Hi Stewart,
      Not Macnaghten, eh? Then I give up. Who was it?
      Who is it a photograph of? Unfortunately I don't know the name, but there's a number of clues to suggest it isn't Eddowes.
      The corpse is laying in a boat. Look at all the surrounding bits and pieces.
      The corpse has been severed at around waist level.
      The head and face are completely different sizes and shapes compared to the other Eddowes pics.
      If this photograph was taken before the post-mortem there are no wounds on the body which match those inflicted in Mitre Square.
      And if this photograph was taken after the post-mortem then the stitching running from her neck to groin is absent.
      Regards,
      Simon
      1. Don Rumbelow, it was one of the City Police photographs of Eddowes that he located.

2. A boat??? You get some funny ideas - it is clearly a shell, which was a rough old coffin that was used for transporting bodies to the mortuary.

3. The body is not 'severed at around waist level.'

4. The head is not a different size, it's the foreshortening and distorting effect of looking upwards at the face.

5. This is a pre-autopsy photograph and the long wound up the torso is visible, but out of focus.

Back to the drawing board Simon.
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Hi Stewart,

Mortuary shells were simple wooden boxes lined with copper so they could be easily washed out.

I think you'll find that this is the correct way around for the pic. It renders some of the writing almost readable, including that on the left arm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eddowes4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	658422

And here's the Foster and Brown drawings.

Name:	eddowes2.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	658423 Click image for larger version

Name:	EDDOWES DR BROWN.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	658424

The long wound up the torso is visible, but out of focus? I'm going to send you a Specsavers coupon.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

That's almost certainly Eddowes; look at that first diagram[?] and the body in the crate, the wounds are a perfect match. The only thing about that photo I'm a bit stumped on is a) why she's already been stripped if that's to transport corpses to the morgue and b) what all that presumed junk is that she's been lain on top of. Unless it's her clothes? Or maybe the wood panneling's all scratched and the lighting made the photo a bit blurry (could make sense of how stony her lower torso looks).

Comment

It's not "almost" certainly Eddowes, it is Eddowes. The cut is the same, the wounds to the face are the same, the mutilation is the same, the cut throat. I couldn't care less if she was in a spaceship when the pic was taken, it's still Eddowes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

And your prize for that post, Tom, is a Lenscrafters gift card.

Comment

Different Planet

Hi Stewart,
                Mortuary shells were simple wooden boxes lined with copper so they could be easily washed out.
                I think you'll find that this is the correct way around for the pic. It renders some of the writing almost readable, including that on the left arm.
                [ATTACH]7766[/ATTACH]
                And here's the Foster and Brown drawings.
                [ATTACH]7767[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7768[/ATTACH]
                The long wound up the torso is visible, but out of focus? I'm going to send you a Specsavers coupon.
                Regards,
                Simon
                You really are on a different planet Simon.

Name:	ceddowes.jpg
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	658425
                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Hi Stewart,

That's a much better version, so it's a fair cop Guvnor. I'll come quietly. You've got me bang to rights about it being a boat. But I still want to know what all that other stuff is in the shell. It's no way to treat a lady.

While I'm waiting for the handcuffs, have you got another version of the photo which shows the wounds?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

[QUOTE=Suzi;117602]

Name:	chick2.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	658405 Eddowes from Vacher l'Eventreur c/o Robert Mc Laughlin

Hi Suzi,

I have Lacassagne's book and Eddowes picture (whose caption reads "the last victim of JtR" btw) is a bit different.
                    No "stain" on the right arm, and apart from the head, the whole body, which is visible down to the knees, looks like a sketch.

Amitiés,
                    David
                    Last edited by DVV; 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Autopsy stitch?

In looking at the Eddowes photo from your link I am reminded again that I've always assumed that the vertical stitch going strainght up her body from abdomen to neck is a stitched-up autopsy cut. Do you think that's right?

Comment

Hi All,

My favourite "Eddowes photograph" is the Bob Marley version. Have you seen the width of those shoulders?

Name:	MARLEY.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	658430

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Sox View Post
                          To my knowledge, cameras of this era could not take a picture at an angle i.e pointing downwards. I came across this little oddity while doing research on Jesse James, I was curious as to why he was pictured propped up in his coffin (as were many slain outlaws from that period) so I spoke to a friend who specializes in sepia photography, and that's what she told me.
                          Thanks Sox, it looks so weird taken like that doesn't it, but your reply would explain it, thanks.
                          Looby

Comment

Hi All,

My favourite "Eddowes photograph" is the Bob Marley version. Have you seen the width of those shoulders?

[ATTACH]7776[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Simon
                            Hi Simon,

Don't you think you lack respect in putting it this way?

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                              Having studied this photograph at great length, there are discrepancies I would like to discuss. First of all, the "tattoo" on her right arm.

It certainly does not say "T.C." The writing appears to be reversed and inverted. Neither does it say "Conway" nor "Kelly" nor "Eddowes". Thoughts anyone?
                              Hi Phil

It seems to say T something.

Name:	kate_s arm.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	658743
                              Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM.
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Stephen,

Different photo..

The one of "Eddowes" in the "shell" is the one I refer to

best wishes

Phil
                                Last edited by Phil Carter; 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM.
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X