Mitre Square - Drawing from Ipswich Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    No pub but the abandoned houses of 6-7 mitre Street, behind which Eddowes was found, were used as coffee rooms until they were vacated.
    When were they vacated, Monty? I only ask out of curiosity piqued by having read that some coffee houses of the LVP were known to have been used as mere fronts for "houses of easy virtue". (Casts an interesting question over Mr and Mrs Stride, but that's by the by in terms of this thread )
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks Monty, and I love that image you uploaded, its going to be my wallpaper for a while.

Interesting that Sam mentioned clandestine bawdy houses under a veneer of a coffee house, I was wondering if Victorian London had what we in North American now call booze cans....after hours illegal drinking spots, usually in commercial areas....and if a coffee house might become that after midnight or when the legit pubs closed.

Cheers Monty.

Comment

Gareth,

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        When were they vacated, Monty? I only ask out of curiosity piqued by having read that some coffee houses of the LVP were known to have been used as mere fronts for "houses of easy virtue". (Casts an interesting question over Mr and Mrs Stride, but that's by the by in terms of this thread )
        Bloody good question.

The occupiers of Nos 6 & 7 are not listed in the Kelly Directories of 1882 so they may (and I stress may) have been vacated that far back. However, Ive a year of 1886 ringing in my head and trying to find why it does.

In the Kellys of 1895 we have a John Jacobs, Orange Merchant, living at No 6 Mitre Street and, now this is odd, a Thomas Newham, Coffee Rooms at No 7. He may have took advantage of the previous occupiers lay out.

Michael,

There was another image of the pub that Jake put up on the old boards. Its a better one in terms of the fact you can actually see the building almost full on. Ive a hard copy of that image but cannot locate it in my PC files. If I come across it I shall post it.

Cheers
        Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
        X