A cleaner copy of her photograph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

A nice clear image indeed, but it's odd that the subject doesn't much resemble Annie Chapman's description in the Echo and the Daily News, 10th September 1888–

"Judging by the appearance of the woman, as she lay in the mortuary on Saturday, she must have been about five and forty years of age. She was a little over five foot in height, well and strongly built, with dark hair, with features somewhat plain and unprepossessing, her nose being especially flat and broad."

Also the Manchester Guardian, same date–

"She is described by those who knew her best as a decent, although poor, looking woman, about 5ft. 2in. or 5ft. 3in. high, with fair brown wavy hair, blue eyes, large flat nose . . ."

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

If you look at the middle part of her nose it appears flattened as if someone took a punch at her and broke her nose. I think that's what they were referring to...

Comment

Hi Chava,

I wish I'd thought of that.

Inspector Chandler, Official Report, 8th September 1888–

"Annie Siffey . . . complexion fair, hair (wavy) dark brown, eyes blue, two teeth deficient in lower jaw, large thick nose . . ."

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

The nose

Hello all,

Descriptions...

Annie Chapman's description in the Echo and the Daily News, 10th September 1888–

"Judging by the appearance of the woman, as she lay in the mortuary on Saturday, she must have been about five and forty years of age. She was a little over five foot in height, well and strongly built, with dark hair, with features somewhat plain and unprepossessing, her nose being especially flat and broad."

Manchester Guardian 10th September 1888

"She is described by those who knew her best as a decent, although poor, looking woman, about 5ft. 2in. or 5ft. 3in. high, with fair brown wavy hair, blue eyes, large flat nose . . ."

Inspector Chandler, Official Report, 8th September 1888

"Annie Siffey . . . complexion fair, hair (wavy) dark brown, eyes blue, two teeth deficient in lower jaw, large thick nose . . ."

Chief Inspector Swanson's report 19th October 1888

"Annie Chapman, alias Annie Siffey, 45, prostitute, 5ft tall, (Wavy) Dark brown hair, Blue eyes, thick nose, two teeth deficient in lower jaw, fair complexion..."

George Bagster Phillips, inquest statement, 13th September 1888, according to the Times 14th September 1888

"The tongue protruded between the front teeth, but not beyond the lips. The tongue was evidently much swollen. The front teeth were perfect, so far as the first molar, top and bottom, and very fine teeth they were...there was a bruise over the right temple. On the upper eyelid there was a bruise...the bruises on the face were evidently recent, especially about the chin and side of the jaw...."

Hmmmm. I really do not think one could honestly describe the nose in the above photograph above as "large and flat", nor "large and thick", nor "especially flat and broad..."

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Is it clearer? or does it just look clearer? Or is just me who thinks it's horrible and blurry?

The best copy of Annie Chapman's Mortuary photograph is in 'Scotland Yard Investigates' I would suggest people use that as a reference instead of this horrible mess.

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob and good morning,

Thank you. That is good news.
              Perhaps Mr. Stewart Evans would be kind enough to provide us the said copy from his book for us? That would be most helpful.

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Is it clearer? or does it just look clearer? Or is just me who thinks it's horrible and blurry?

The best copy of Annie Chapman's Mortuary photograph is in 'Scotland Yard Investigates' I would suggest people use that as a reference instead of this horrible mess.

Rob
                I've just checked with a magnifying glass, and the photo in Scotland Yard Investigates does appear a bit sharper, but it has a "washed out" appearence and lacks the shadowing and definition of the posted photo, in my opinion. Also, the eyelids and lips appear to be lightly drawn in. As fuzzy as it is, I'd say the posted photo is superior. Annie's nose does not appear abnormally large or flat in either the morgue or wedding photo, certainly not enough to attract attention. I suppose the camera angle or perspective could account for that.

John
                "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                  I've just checked with a magnifying glass, and the photo in Scotland Yard Investigates does appear a bit sharper, but it has a "washed out" appearence and lacks the shadowing and definition of the posted photo, in my opinion. Also, the eyelids and lips appear to be lightly drawn in. As fuzzy as it is, I'd say the posted photo is superior. Annie's nose does not appear abnormally large or flat in either the morgue or wedding photo, certainly not enough to attract attention. I suppose the camera angle or perspective could account for that.

John
                  I'd rather a slight enhancement of detail to a loss of detail (compare the ear) The posted image is way overexposed which has resulted in a loss of detail, also it's blurry. Whoever done it went a bit mad with the cleaning tools.

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

I have the pleasure to say not guilty this time. I only found it on the website stated and enlarged it slightly.

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                      Hello Rob,

I have the pleasure to say not guilty this time. I only found it on the website stated and enlarged it slightly.

best wishes

Phil
                      I'm not saying a word.

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

I am only trying to do my bit to add to the enjoyment of others who read the boards. Not everyone on here has the book you mentioned, and some rely only on what is on this site. So comparing this image to the one that is on permanently on Casebook, I would say an improvement. Hence the reactions.

Have a pleasant evening Rob.

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil,

I'm not knocking your efforts far from it.
                          And I would hope 'Scotland Yard Investigates' is on everybody's bookshelves. As it is required reading for anyone serious about the case.

Regards

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

Thank you. Much appreciated. I agree, that book is a must. It got the wrong type of review in my opinion. I also realise your photographic ability and know-how far outweigh mine!

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

A slightly clearer view of the nose and other features may be found in post #8 here:-

General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Hello Gary,

I hope you are well, thank you for the link. Your own attempts at a clearer picture are excellent. One thing is certain. The nose is clearly not large and flat.

best wishes

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X