Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie Chapman Descendants

Hi all,

I have been asked by Neal Shelden to post this small tribute to the last grandchild of Annie Chapman who sadly died last week aged in her nineties. It was because of this lady and her daughter that the picture of Annie Chapman came to light, and Jack the Ripper research will forever be in her debt for allowing it's publication. Condolences have been passed on to the daughter by Neal Shelden on behalf of all Jack the Ripper writers and researchers.
    “be just and fear not”

Just wanted to add how sad I was to learn this news from Neal earlier.

Jenni
    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Having just read the book recently that is tragic news.
      The book has some great pictures of the descendants and is a great read, and ultimatley very touching.

Thanks for letting us know.
      Regards Mike

Comment

So sorry to read that.

I wonder if she's the last grandchild of any victim.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hello you all!

I hope, she will rest in piece!

And I think we are all grateful for seeing a photo of at least one victim alive and at the best time of her life!

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hey guys, after an absence of several weeks I had sufficient time to register again..

So another link to the victims has become missing...my sincere condolences.

But another thing that strikes me as awkward: if she was in her 90s, she was born between 1909 and 1918, so possibly up to 30 years after Annie's death. It must be strange to have missed one's grandmother by so many years.

Just for information's sake, could someone possibly post a family tree of Annie because I kind of lost the overview which of her children lived and died where and when
            In heaven I am a wild ox
            On earth I am a lion
            A jester from hell and shadows almighty
            The scientist of darkness
            Older than the constellations
            The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              So sorry to read that.

I wonder if she's the last grandchild of any victim.
              She was the last living grandchild of a canonical five victim.

It always strikes me as interesting that Annie Georgina Chapman the daughter of Annie Chapman died in the 1950's and would have heard of Elvis.

That Henry Alfred Nichols the son of Mary Ann Nichols died in the 1960's and would have watched England win the football World Cup.

And that Annie Phillips daughter of Catherine Eddowes was still alive when War raged with Hitler's Germany.

All these examples take the families into other major times in history and that I find fascinating.

Comment

Cheers for that Neal..may she rest in peace.

Comment

PS I was walking down OLd Montigue street today with a couple of JtR retrobates and noticed a new sign has appeared near the Nichols murder scene (Durward street) saying: Mary Ann Nichols Way.

Is this part of your work? does it link to the sign in Mitre sq?

Comment

Hi Neal,

Thanks for that information. I was wondering a couple of years back how near a victim relative might still be alive and thought that a grandchild would be a long-shot.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

How amazing--and awful--it must be to know that your mother was a victim of the most famous murderer of all time. I'm especially thinking of Chapman's daughter and Nichol's son. Eddowes daughter was grown and married when her mother died, I believe. So would have had a recollection of her. Did any of the children do interviews over the years?

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Shelden View Post
                        She was the last living grandchild of a canonical five victim.

It always strikes me as interesting that Annie Georgina Chapman the daughter of Annie Chapman died in the 1950's and would have heard of Elvis.

That Henry Alfred Nichols the son of Mary Ann Nichols died in the 1960's and would have watched England win the football World Cup.

And that Annie Phillips daughter of Catherine Eddowes was still alive when War raged with Hitler's Germany.

All these examples take the families into other major times in history and that I find fascinating.
                        Hi Neal

This is fascinating to think about, I agree with you entirely. It reminds me of something my Granddad said to me just before he died in 1972, that there had been more changes to the world in his lifetime (he was born in 1894) than in the previous several hundred years.

Kind regards,
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
                          I'm especially thinking of Chapman's daughter and Nichol's son. Eddowes daughter was grown and married when her mother died, I believe. So would have had a recollection of her. Did any of the children do interviews over the years?
                          Sadly, Chava, many of the victims' children seem to have become estranged, or even actively distanced themselves, from their less-than-ideal mothers long before their deaths. This is not quite the case with Annie's children, who either pre-deceased her, or ended up being taken into care. There is the tale that Annie's surviving daughter ended up in a circus, but I shouldn't be surprised if this were a white lie, or cover-up, for her also having been "taken away" from her mother.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                            PS I was walking down OLd Montigue street today with a couple of JtR retrobates and noticed a new sign has appeared near the Nichols murder scene (Durward street) saying: Mary Ann Nichols Way.

Is this part of your work? does it link to the sign in Mitre sq?
                            No sorry Jeff, I said about those signs at the conference last year and they've been there since early last year, maybe it was Banksy

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
                              How amazing--and awful--it must be to know that your mother was a victim of the most famous murderer of all time. I'm especially thinking of Chapman's daughter and Nichol's son. Eddowes daughter was grown and married when her mother died, I believe. So would have had a recollection of her. Did any of the children do interviews over the years?
                              No unfortunately they didn't

Comment

Working...
                              X