• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS wouldn't he have said

"Get a gripski Lynn"

Comment

epistemology

Hello Observer. Belief in the same breath as certainty? Those are poles apart, epistemologically speaking.

"I suppose one could claim . . ."

A supposition is baffling? In logic, one may suppose anything to see what follows from it.

The best.
      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

By the way, who's pissed? I'll have you know I'm tea total

Poles apart or not, believe me, Lawende, Levy, and Harris, saw Catherine Eddowes with JTR at approximately 1:35 a.m. 30th September 1888. And as far as logic is concerned, taking into consideration your supposition

" one could claim Lawende did not see Kate, that she was already inside Mitre square at the time. On this scenario, perhaps Jack was hiding inside one of the empty houses."

You wouldn't recognise logic if it came up and smacked you between the eyes.

all the best

Observer
        Last edited by Observer; 11-30-2009, 06:21 AM.

Comment

antecedent of the pronoun

Hello Observer. What is the antecedent of the pronoun "it"? What is about to smack me?

The best.
          LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

Ehhh??? Sorry???

You're talking in riddles again. What is about to smack you.

Logic of course, can't you read English. My Dictum

"You wouldn't recognise logic if it came up and smacked you between the eyes."

It's plain to see.

all the best

Observer
            Last edited by Observer; 11-30-2009, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Hey Lynn

No worries. English grammar you go down a bomb, spelling likewise. Latin phrases you could play for England, you could give Julius Caesar a run for his money. Logic not so good, room for improvment, no big deal. Some of us have it, some of us don't, hang in there.

all the best

Observer
              Last edited by Observer; 11-30-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

PS

Lay off those Hollywood Scripts, real life aint like that.

all the best

Observer

Comment

Hi Lynn

No problems, what do you want to know? Lets start with the man whom was seen with Catherine Eddowes on the morning of the 30th September 1888. Three witnesses saw those two individuals at 1:35 a.m. At 1:45 a.m. she is found mutilated, 40/50 yards away. Expert witness testifies that the mutilations took up to 5 minutes. Logical reasoning would indicate that the individual who was sighted with Eddowes was her killer. Do you see how it works? I'll let you into a little secret, her killer wasn't hiding in an unoccupied house in Mitre Square waiting to pounce on her as she walked by.

all the best

Observer

PS Methinks your logic smacks of things medieval, flat Earth, philosophers stone etc. A Damsell in distress if ever I saw one.
                  Last edited by Observer; 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM.

Comment

And now tis time for this Guy to fly the roost Lynn Catesby, I'm aboot Fawked. By the way if I look out of my bedroom window, I can see a real life English castle which was there throughout the late medieval period. How neat is that?

All ye bestest

Ye Observere
                    Last edited by Observer; 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM.

Comment

session 1

Hello Observer. Since you are tutoring logic (as per your dictum) perhaps you can explain what kinds of modal semantics are consistent with the axiom schemata of S4 and S5. In particular, what sorts of Kripkean models would support them?

Mediaeval logic differs little from contemporary logic. In fact, about the only major difference is Frege's revision of Aristotle's existential assumption made in the 1870's.

Looking forward to my next session. Perhaps you can help me pin down the first occurrence of De Morgan's theorem. 12 th c or 14 th c? There are reasons to accept either.

The best.
                      LC

Comment

focus

Hello All. We seem to digress here. Perhaps the fault is mine.

Let's return to Annie Chapman and her time of death. Observations about Kate Eddowes would be appropriate on her threads. Questions about credentials are best resolved through the private message function.

So, was it 5:30 AM or 4:30 AM?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

To answer a question you posed Observer, "why would Kate walk into Mitre Square alone"...its worth considering that some investigators of the case thought that Kate might have had a pre-arranged meeting with someone at or near Mitre Square. Perhaps something she arranged that afternoon, maybe she alluded she had information that was worth some money and someone set up a meeting for her. But maybe she mentioned her "information" to the wrong people.

Speculation of course.

But she does turn left out of the station, which is the opposite direction to where her man would be found, she does get loaded that afternoon without any money and the likelihood that she solicited during the afternoon hours is slim I think. We do have a "story" that supposedly she told her ex-landlady. And we do have her using aliases for the 2 documents that required having a name affixed to them within her last 24 hours.

Perhaps she didnt want a lot of people knowing she was back from hopping.

Im just pointing out that since we do not know what drove her in that direction as yet, we cannot know whether she was with the ONLY man, or more to the point, the LAST man she might have met near Mitre Square when The Three Wise men saw her.

Best regards

Comment

[QUOTE=perrymason;107834]. But maybe she mentioned her "information" to the wrong people.

Perhaps she didnt want a lot of people knowing she was back from hopping.

Im just pointing out that since we do not know what drove her in that direction as yet, we cannot know whether she was with the ONLY man, or more to the point, the LAST man she might have met near Mitre Square when The Three Wise men saw her.

END QUOTE

Exactly, and someone didn't have to be waiting in Mitre Square for her.

She could have picked up a shadow at the jail (someone who was interested in "Mary Jane Kelly") or a shadow somewhere along the way. A shadow that was adept at remaining in the shadows.

I'm new to this, of course, so I'm still in the process of sifting and sorting, but it's very, very strange to me that she gave her name as Mary Jane Kelly at the jail and is very soon dead as a Ripper victim. Then, the very next "Ripper" victim IS Mary Jane Kelly. What is the logical likelihood of that?

curious

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post

2 broken locks do not a theory make, I know ....but they do show us that there were spots here and there that he could have waited in....I would imagine with the abandoned and empty housing in Mitre Square, a spot might have been secured there possibly. In the case of Dorset Street, we do have the alcove with the large dust bin in it opposite Marys windows....could someone hide behind that? Maybe.
                              It does seem there were spots for hiding (perhaps after the deed as well? then slipping away in the confusion), but would he more likely be laying in wait and it being just sheer luck if he found someone or not (plus, could he have an overview of other people who might be lurking?) OR more likely that he might discretely follow a prospect, taking care to remain hidden.

Then he would more likely know if other people were about or not, wouldn't he? Plus, if he were seen, he'd simply saunter off and there'd be no reason for someone to remember him.

curious

Comment

Working...
                              X