How much did the photos cost?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miss Marple,

Yes, with all that fabric, such a dress would have been very expensive, esp. if it had special features, such as lace and pearl buttons, etc.

Selling vintage costumes had to be fun, but it must be a painstaking occupation, too. You have to do special things to preserve them, don't you? The hats...I love the old hats.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I once had a vintage clothing shop, as well. Now I sell bits on eBay, but that was one of the reasons I turned my interest to collecting photos-- Images of fabulous outfits were easier than the actual clothing, to store, correctly perserve, and of course were much less expensive to acquire. (wheee! I can buy MORE!) A woman's wedding dress was to be part of her trousseau (sp?) and so it was far more practical to make it anything but white.

Comment

moving pictures

Well I suppose we are going off message talking about clothes, but then Victorian photos, give one a sense of how real people looked in clothes, as opposed to costume, seen in museums.
        If anyone has not seen them[ they have been showed on the BBC] Try and get a look at the lost world of Mitchell and Kenyon, a couple of northern photographers who took moving film of northern working class people, in the 1900s.These films have no story, but are crowd scenes etc. Shots Of people coming out of factories, mill girls etc. They are fascinating, it's like looking into a time machine.
        Its a pity they weren't Londoners, it would have been amazing had they been filming the East End.
        Cheers Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
        X