Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Victims

Good day to all

I see there are many varying opinions on how many JTR victims there actually were?

With respect to the 'Canonical 5,' it would seem highly likely that there were several more victims.

I can understand why some are reluctant to branch away from the Canonical 5 as it no doubt conclusively rules out several key suspects; Druitt included.

It seems that over time there has been a balance made with trying to legitimately solve the case and unmask the killer, with keeping the legend of the most infamous murderer in history alive by NOT wanting to unmask him; albeit subconsciously.

This bizarre paradox isn't lost in it's own irony.

I of course say 'legend' not from a point of admiration, but in terms of the fact that over a century later and we are still discussing the case and seemingly attempting to not actively attempting to look at the bigger picture.

This is perhaps explained better by the way that it is often said that JTR was a mysterious figure who could somehow do his vile work and then seemingly disappear without trace. an almost inhuman quality which explained why he was never caught.

However the reality is very different.

When we open our minds and look at including a much more extensive list of potential victims and incorporate some of the written letters and correspondences, we see that JTR was often cumbersome and very lucky to have escaped several of his victims.

Alice McKenzie for example is clearly a victim of JTR, but because her wounds weren't as extensive and the dating destroys the likes of Druitt being the Ripper, some argue that she couldn't possibly have been a victim. Mainly because it disrupts the 'legend' of the ripper.

The reality is that JTR often couldn't finish his work and aside from MJK, i would argue that he was never satisfied with what he did.

This is another factor which may have driven him to re-offend.

If we look at the bigger picture it seems highly likely that the killer didn't just operate in 1888, but committed many ore murder over several years.

It would be fair to say that there are some among us who are eager to find the truth and others who would feel deflated it the mystery was ever solved. This is a self perpetuating cycle which feeds into the legend of the man.

I for one would love to unmask him and discover the truth and crush the legend dead.

Has anyone ever made a 'league table' of potential victims based on the statistical likelihood they were JTR victims?

Thought, theories and onslaught please?

TRD

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

The reality is that JTR often couldn't finish his work and aside from MJK, i would argue that he was never satisfied with what he did.
    Start with the somewhat heroic assumption that Dear Boss and saucy jacky are genuine.
    That is, written and/or authored by the Whitechapel Murderer, or an accomplice of some sort.

The letters dated 6 October 1888 (threating a witness), and 14 October 1896 ('Winters coming'), are arguably by the same hand.

Who does the writer of these four pieces of correspondence make reference to, other than 'the Boss' and the police?

Nichols (implicitly) - Grand work the last job was.
    Chapman was "the last" - not "the first". Therefore there was at least one before her.

Chapman - Grand work the last job was. I gave the lady no time to squeal.

Stride and Eddowes - you'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow double event this time

Stride - number one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off.

Witness - You though your-self very clever I reckon when you informed the police. But you made a mistake if you though I dident see you...

Coles - The last job was a bad one and no mistake nearly buckled, and meant it to be best of the lot & what curse it

Using the same argument as with Nichols, "The last job" does not preclude Kelly or any of the other post-double event candidate victims.
    However, Mary Jane is the most famous supposed victim of the most infamous serial killer in history.
    Why no mention of her in the letters?
    Why no threats to any of the possible Nov 9 witnesses?
    Francis Coles (assuming she is the one being spoken about in 'Winters coming'), was 'meant to be the best of the lot'.
    How could that 'job' be done 'better' than MJK? Simple; MJK was not one of JtR's victims.
    Jack is an 'outdoors type', and likes collecting human organs.
    Kelly's murderer could have taken away a bag full, but possibly took none.
    Suspect it was that nutjob, Charles Ludwig.
    Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Thank you for your response.

Very valid points right there across the board.

I find the theory that MJK wasn't even a victim of JTR rather fascinating.

I can see your point in that it doesn't fit with some of the others in terms of the threats/correspondences.

However, the physical act and literal actions undertaken in the obliteration of MJK would strongly suggest that it was the same killer.

Which is stronger evidence, the physical actions carried out by a killer across multiple victims or the absence of threat or written correspondence to a particular crime?

I would therefore argue that the actual presence of evidence is more important to consider than the absence of evidence when trying to ascertain the statistically likelihood of potential facts being correct.

TRD

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

Which is stronger evidence, the physical actions carried out by a killer across multiple victims or the absence of threat or written correspondence to a particular crime?

I would therefore argue that the actual presence of evidence is more important to consider than the absence of evidence when trying to ascertain the statistically likelihood of potential facts being correct.
        Yes, I agree. Not overwhelmingly, but on balance.
        Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Working...
        X