Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ello

Hi!!

This is my first post after being a lurker for a good 4 years (ever since I moved to East London). I'm not a 'suspect person'; I don't expect the mystery ever to be solved but, to me, that's not the point. I'm drawn to Victorian London fuelled no doubt by an interest in Sherlock Holmes and enjoy the exploration of that world as it's as close as I'll ever get to it.
    Anyway, my first casebook point/question ever...
    Why do many treat the women as VictimBots? All the murders were unique events, at that point in time there was no one in the world exactly like the victim at that time and no one in the world exactly like Jack at that time. Jack wasn't the same exact person in Berner Street as he was in Mitre Square (yes, i'm a 5+ victims person). Mood of the people involved, weather conditions (another question I have which if this post goes okay I'll bring up in another thread), anything, there are so many random factors involved in each murder that I don't see how anyone can discount, say Stride, on that premise that it seems unlike the other killings. Perhaps Liz fought back. Perhaps this one wasn't so simple.

Originally posted by Cody75111 View Post
    Hi!!

This is my first post after being a lurker for a good 4 years (ever since I moved to East London). I'm not a 'suspect person'; I don't expect the mystery ever to be solved but, to me, that's not the point. I'm drawn to Victorian London fuelled no doubt by an interest in Sherlock Holmes and enjoy the exploration of that world as it's as close as I'll ever get to it.
    Anyway, my first casebook point/question ever...
    Why do many treat the women as VictimBots? All the murders were unique events, at that point in time there was no one in the world exactly like the victim at that time and no one in the world exactly like Jack at that time. Jack wasn't the same exact person in Berner Street as he was in Mitre Square (yes, i'm a 5+ victims person). Mood of the people involved, weather conditions (another question I have which if this post goes okay I'll bring up in another thread), anything, there are so many random factors involved in each murder that I don't see how anyone can discount, say Stride, on that premise that it seems unlike the other killings. Perhaps Liz fought back. Perhaps this one wasn't so simple.
    Hello Cody,

Welcome to casebook.org.

I’m assuming that I know what you mean by VictimBots (maybe I don't though) in that they were all different in various ways and the individual circumstances of each murder was different? I’m pretty sure that you’d struggle to find anyone to disagree with that point but you might form the opinion that that’s how they might subconsciously see them when forming they are interpreting various events. And on Stride again I agree with you. I’m not certain that she was a victim but I’d say that I was well over 50% (maybe 70%) according to which way the wind blows

But in general yes I’m not keen on the view that Jack the Ripper had a rigid, unalterable method or that we have to adhere to some form of profile to try and understand or interpret. Unforeseen events kick in. Interruptions, injuries, victims fight back etc.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
    X