Proof of Tumblety's Misogyny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you've got a persecution mania.
    I took the trouble to read your articles as I wanted to understand why you thought you had 'nailed it' with Durham and what your arguments are.
    I have also read the three Palmer articles on Andrews a couple of times.
    Don Souden sent them to me a while back when I was discussing Tumblety with Jonathan Hainsworth – competitively perhaps but without rancour, and without wild and paranoid accusations. If I was to critique Palmer’s articles it wouldn’t be to target him – it would be to subject his work to scrutiny.
    However it is a complex matter that doesn’t really lend itself to forum posts.
    I have typed a lot more words on the forums about Druitt, Hutchinson and Fleming than Tumblety so don’t get too carried away with your significance.

Comment

Tumblety's Irish Political Interest

Whilst resident in Montreal in 1857.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F Tumblety on Irish Interest.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	665310
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Tumblety on Ireland

Tumblety on Irish suffering.

Name:	F Tumblety on Ireland 1.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	665311
        SPE

Comment

Tumblety's Support for Fenians

Tumblety speaking for the Fenians.

Name:	F Tumblety Fenian supporter.jpg
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	665312
          SPE

Comment

Tumblety on Hatred of English

From Tumblety's speech to the Irish Americans.

Name:	F Tumblety on hatred of English.jpg
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	665313
            SPE

Comment

Conclusion

Conclusion of Tumblety's anti-English tirade.

Name:	F Tumblety speech conclusion.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	665314
              SPE

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                The reason why Tumblety came under the notice of the police and the contents of the resulting dossier has been much debated.
                To some it suggests that he was involved in political activities – as a Fenian. After all Littlechild was in charge of Special Branch. Yet there isn’t the slightest indication in this letter to back up that claim. There is very little in Tumblety’s life to suggest any serious interest in Irish republicanism on his part, and certainly none in this letter. Littlechild was to complain that he was forever being fed information throwing suspicion on Irishmen just because they were Irishmen.
                Oh, really? Care to re-assess his Irish sympathies?
                SPE

Comment

Tumblety's Fenian Lawyers

When arrested for attempted abortion, on the prostitute Philomene Dumas, in September 1857, Tumblety was represented by two Irish supporting lawyers, Devlin and Drummond, who succeeded in getting the charge dismissed.

Name:	F Tumblety lawyers Devlin and Drummond.jpg
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	665315
                  - Michael McCulloch, Historian, B.C.
                  Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 11-23-2013, 02:13 AM.
                  SPE

Comment

Tumblety's Fenian connections

Summary of Tumblety's Fenian connections in 1857.

Name:	F Tumblety Irish sympathies.jpg
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	665316
                    -Michael McCulloch, Historian, B.C.
                    SPE

Comment

• Do try...

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                      I think you've got a persecution mania.
                      I took the trouble to read your articles as I wanted to understand why you thought you had 'nailed it' with Durham and what your arguments are.
                      Do try to spell the name 'Dunham' correctly.
                      SPE

Comment

• Thanks for posting this. While I'm sure Tumblety at least portrayed himself as a staunch Irish supporter, he doesn't seem like the guy that would do anything without something in it for him. As far as having Fenian lawyers, I assume that is merely an aside as it wouldn't matter what their leanings were. What mattered was hiring people with connections enough to get him out of trouble.

Mike
                        huh?

Comment

• Irish Born Catholic

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                          Thanks for posting this. While I'm sure Tumblety at least portrayed himself as a staunch Irish supporter, he doesn't seem like the guy that would do anything without something in it for him. As far as having Fenian lawyers, I assume that is merely an aside as it wouldn't matter what their leanings were. What mattered was hiring people with connections enough to get him out of trouble.
                          Mike
                          Tumblety was born near Dublin and was a Catholic. His sympathies would be natural and inborn. It is not a mere aside and with these published sympathies, some as early as 1857, he had all the credentials for a Fenian supporter, if not a member. Certainly enough to be worth watching as an Irish American visiting London at the time of the troubles.

As McCulloch states, 'It is not necessary to identify Tumblety as a covert Fenian organizer to understand how he could be taken as a representative of certain strands of Irish radicalism.' And this was speaking with knowledge gleaned from 1857 sources and written in 1993 before Tumblety became known as a Ripper suspect. However, people with a Ripper interest usually see only what they want to see.

It is understandable for those wishing to minimize Tumblety's profile with regard to his Fenian sympathies and hatred of women to gainsay clear evidence. That's 'Ripperworld' for you.
                          SPE

Comment

• A Ps

Merely as a postscript I should like to add the following.

Apropos of suspects I know that there is no hard evidence in support of any named suspect actually being the Ripper. I also know that the identity of the Ripper will never be proven. I am also, here, not arguing for Tumblety being the Ripper, and not trying to build any sort of theory. I am merely reproducing printed and published material. I am also happy for any individual to believe just whoever he wishes to be the Ripper.

Now, although I realize that the interpretation of such written material does rather depend on the bias of the person making that interpretation, it seems to me to be an objective conclusion in saying that Tumblety was an Irish sympathizer and that he was not afraid of broadcasting the fact.

There are several other references to this fact but I now tire of reproducing the references and I tire of some of the misguided souls who haunt these boards. I shall leave the arguments to those with more stamina than I.
                            SPE

Comment

• I'm a bit of a novice so please excuse me for misspelling Dunham.

The problem with making a case that Tumblety was a Fenian - or rather more to the point that he would have attracted Littlechild's attention as a Fenian is that he was a con man.
                              He was also vain and liked applause. So in front of an Irish audience in a district where Irish sentiment ran high he can be seen - superficially I Would suggest - playing to the crowd.
                              We see him making a great show of withdrawing as an election candidate - all too typical of the man.
                              We also see heightened bitterness against Albion following his arrest on charges of Gross indecency.
                              Prior to this London and London society - mixing with the Old Ascendancy - was his favourite playground - hence his bitterness.
                              In any case let's give all the evidence such as his grovelling pro British letter at the time of the Boer War.
                              Also be wary of ascribing any Irish reference to Fenianism and any Irish politician who represented Irish interests as being a Fenian - Littlechild seems to have understood the difference .
                              And please there were plenty of Irish Catholics who loyally served the crown - even after independence and most I am sure we're apolitical.

Comment

• Expected

The expected response, illustrating just what I mean.
                                SPE

Comment

Working...
                                X