Tumblety's Libel Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumblety's Libel Suit

I recall reading about the libel suit Tumblety presented against the manager of a Washington, D.C. theatre, accusing him of including a character in a production that parodied him so outrageously that he had lost business. What I read (from my memory) was that he had, himself, played the part onstage, and in Tumblety fashion, was fanning the flames of fame. Am I imagining that, or has it been written by someone?
    Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

You're right. Colonel Dunham said that when he heard Tumblety complain about the performance he took some friends along to see it and they concluded that it was Tumblety himself on stage and it was all just a publicity stunt.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      You're right. Colonel Dunham said that when he heard Tumblety complain about the performance he took some friends along to see it and they concluded that it was Tumblety himself on stage and it was all just a publicity stunt.

JM
      Thank you! At least, there's one point on which I can still claim my memory holds up! I thought I remembered reading that aloud to someone and we had a good laugh. What a character!
      Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Yes, Dunham did claim this but it never happened. It's just one of Dunham's many lies.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post

Yes, Dunham did claim this but it never happened. It's just one of Dunham's many lies.

Wolf.
          I'm going to have to look into that! Thanks.
          Joan

Comment

Working...
          X