Tumblety and Pinkerton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
    And with that I shall exit these boards....
    Geez, I thought he'd never leave. Now, let's get back to the uninformed comments.

Comment

• Hi GM,

Would you care to start the ball rolling?

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• No mystery as to why Tumblety or anyone else ,for that matter,who were watched by special branch might slip out of the country.Incoming or outgoing passengers would be monitored by Customs and immigration personnel.They would act on requests from the police.Did the police give such a request in the case of Tumblety?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          Geez, I thought he'd never leave. Now, let's get back to the uninformed comments.
          Sadly, this is the very reason why the top ripperologists leave this forum.
          The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
          http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

• Hi Mike,

Any answers yet to post #100?

Regards,

Simon
            Last edited by Simon Wood; 11-20-2010, 08:26 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi Mike,

Any answers yet to post #100?

Regards,

Simon
              Hi Simon,

Actually I do, but first of all, do you ever sleep?

Recall that Tumblety himself stated when he was in the Whitechapel district during the time of the murders he dressed "as to not draw attention to himself." We know he did this because the reporter who interviewed him in early 1889 stated he did not dress in his public flamboyant attire.

Your problem is you do not understand visual bias. Your perception is when the average man was only 5 ft 8 inches a 6 ft 2 inch person would stick out like a sore thumb. Average does not mean ALL men were 5 ft 8 inches. Height fits into a bell curve and 6 ft 2 inch men were on the high end of the bell curve, but they were within the curve. Check out photos of crowds and taller people do not stick out dramatically. A 7 ft tall man would not be on the bell curve, thus, would stick out like a sore thumb. Keep in mind, this was also at a time when many men wore hats of all sizes, which would further mix the crowd. To say that a person just a few inches taller than the average could not blend in conflicts with visual perception.

For decades, Tumblety was an expert at leaving town when the proverbial heat was turned up. He was very good at it AND he could afford it. You of all people slam on Scotland Yard ineptitudes, and they met their match with the elusive Francis Tumblety - a man who always seemed to get out of a tight spot.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                ...As far as I know Andrews was not a Special Branch man. Andrews had arrested Barnett in the first place and, I suppose, was the natural choice to return him to Canada. According to Dew (the only source I'm afraid) Andrews was one of three Scotland Yard Inspectors assigned to the Ripper investigation, along with Abberline and Moore. The official records prove Dew to be right about Abberline and Moore, so did Dew have a memory of Andrews carrying out a Ripper connected inquiry in America?

As to evidence of Andrews not being involved in Parnell-related inquiries we have the flat denial of the Home Secretary that that was not the case in the House of Commons on Thursday March 21, 1889. Mr. T. Healey asked if Inspector Andrews had visited America since the passing of the Special Commission Act; and whether his business there was connected with the charges and allegations made before the Royal Commission. Matthews replied in the negative.

Further to that we have Anderson stating, "Neither before nor during the Parnell Commission did the Criminal Investigation Department either directly or indirectly render any assistance to the Times; I disclaim any connection with any move in a political game..." In his 1906 book Anderson stated, "And I say this emphatically, because I find there are people still who credit Mr. Labouchere's statments that I sent police officers across the Atlantic to tout for evidence against the Parnellites. The allegation was unequivocally denied by the Secretary of State in Parliament, and by the Chief Commissioner of Police in a letter to the Times..."

So we have to accept that Home Secretary Matthews, Chief Commissioner Monro and Assistant Commissioner Anderson were all lying, in print, about this and that totally unsubstantiated press claims in the USA were correct [in direct contradiction to the principle of parsimony]. I appreciate that there are those who will say (as it suits their argument) that this is the case and that is their interpretation. It seems to me that to risk a serving Scotland Yard man making such enquiries (with the huge risks that entailed) when there were plenty of other private agents who could do the same thing is a bit silly.
                This just needs to be repeated again. It's too bad that there's this "last man standing" belief on the threads, meaning "I'm still posting so I win". It's interesting how those who outright deny Tumblety being considered a serious suspect ignore Dew. I'm curious as to why people also ignore the principle of parsimony when this tool is foundational in scientific inquiry. There's a reason why science works.

Sincerely,

Mike
                Last edited by mklhawley; 11-20-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Hello Mike,

If your statement on post No. 127 is true, it takes all contributions to cause that feeling, I opine. That includes, you, me, Stewart, Roger, Simon, Wolf, and all. I honestly don't interpret it that way.

In some forms of Ripperology, there will be a great divide. This debate is a by-product of that divide, with effect. There is a passion in Ripperology, which isn't such a bad thing either. That is why this forum is the cutting edge. More and more people question things that have been presented to us over the years. In many cases, it is sorely needed too, imho.

It should also be remembered that behind the present discussions and arguments, lay a few years of personal disagreement as well.

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                    Hello Mike,

If your statement on post No. 127 is true, it takes all contributions to cause that feeling, I opine. That includes, you, me, Stewart, Roger, Simon, Wolf, and all. I honestly don't interpret it that way.

In some forms of Ripperology, there will be a great divide. This debate is a by-product of that divide, with effect. There is a passion in Ripperology, which isn't such a bad thing either. That is why this forum is the cutting edge. More and more people question things that have been presented to us over the years. In many cases, it is sorely needed too, imho.

It should also be remembered that behind the present discussions and arguments, lay a few years of personal disagreement as well.

best wishes

Phil
                    Phil, you have an excellent way of saying things. Well spoken (...or written).

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike,

What on earth has "Foggy" Dew got to do with Tumblety? Don't you recognize SPEculation when you see it?

Just prior to the Millers Court murder two police constables arrested a man in Whitechapel after he approached a well-known prostitute. He was wearing an old shooting coat and a slouch hat, and it occurred to the constables that the man answered the popular description of Jack the Ripper.

The man protested, expostulated and threatened the policemen with the vengeance of royal wrath, but in vain. Finally, a chance was given to him to send to a fashionable West End Club to prove his identity, and he was released with profuse apologies for the mistake.

The man was Sir George Compton Archibald Arthur. At the time of his arrest he was a 28 year old captain in the Royal Horse Guard and also an amateur actor, who had appeared as the corpse when the Bancrofts produced "Theodora". He also enjoyed slumming in London's poor areas.

Sir George Arthur's London clubs were Brooks, Marlborough, Carlton and the Beefsteak.

Needless to say, the story did not reach the London newspapers.

Interviewed in January 1889, Tumblety told a reporter about being accused of being Jack the Ripper. "It was owing to the stupidity of the London Police, who arrested him because he was an American and wore a slouch hat." Tumblety also said that he was "a frequenter of some of the best London clubs, among others the Carlton Club and the Beefsteak Club."

Over to you.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Mike,

Unfortunately, you were right the first time around: There has been considerable incivility, rudeness and insulting on this thread and others. Such that often the best and brightest among us decide they have better things to do than suffer the slings and arrows of puffed up pygmies.

Nor is Phil's suggestion that everyone involved created the acrimonious situation correct. Most of us could go on for months (and sometimes have) discussing the finer points of Ripperology without recourse to insult, smear, name calling or snide insinuations. There are only a vocal few who create those problems, but sadly they prevail.

Don.
                        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• Puffed up?

Hello Don,

"...the best and brightest among us"..."puffed up pygmies"

It it exactly this sort of comment that shows and causes divide. While one treads on this treadmill, I would respectfully remind you that you are no better than the "pygmies" you accuse of being "puffed up", in demonstrating a "holier than thou", "we know better than thee", attitude whilst pretending to look down from aloft.

Don, you continually put down just about everything I, and some selected others write, whilst commentating from this self-acclaimed lofty perch. Being the Editor of an on-line magazine, or any other job title for that matter, doesn't entitle you to sit in judgement over which human beings are or are not "better and brighter" amongst us. Some of the people who write more regularly on this website are of far greater intelligence than many others, and all should be shown the same respect, whatever they contribute with. Some have a more limited education than others, but that doesn't mean that their words are less valuable either.

Just for your information Don, there is NO hierarchy in Ripperology.

This statement that has been commented upon and agreed with by SPE himself, on one of my early threads. Unless of course, SPE also belongs to your proclaimed community of the "lesser bright", "puffed up pygmies"?

I would have thought that unity and encouragement was more important within Ripperology, than trying to insinuate divide between the likes of yourself..the "best and brightest" and the rest of us down here with our feet on the ground.

Your comments only serve, as I see them, to stir up more divide. It will do no good at all. But then, who I am to dare to confront and comment the words of the "great" Mr. Don Souden?
                          Just one who clearly isn't one of the "better and brighter among us" that's who....

So why not tell us exactly to WHOM you are referring Don? A nice long list it should be, given you sit amongst the few who are " the best and brightest among us." Or is that "below" you?

Who was it that fiddled whilst Rome burned again? Oh yes, the one that got on with doing his thing whilst the more vocal "minions" screamed "fire!"

"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself." (Andersson/Ulveaus)

best wishes

Phil
                          Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM.
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Supe View Post
                            Mike,

Unfortunately, you were right the first time around: There has been considerable incivility, rudeness and insulting on this thread and others. Such that often the best and brightest among us decide they have better things to do than suffer the slings and arrows of puffed up pygmies.

Nor is Phil's suggestion that everyone involved created the acrimonious situation correct. Most of us could go on for months (and sometimes have) discussing the finer points of Ripperology without recourse to insult, smear, name calling or snide insinuations. There are only a vocal few who create those problems, but sadly they prevail.

Don.
                            I have rarely read a post so full of rectitude and pomposity and misplaced vanity.Dont flatter yourself so much, Mr Souden.
                            Stewart has had enough for the time being,thats a real shame because he is a kind and generous man .
                            But a lot of feathers have been ruffled lately .No need to ruffle any more really is there?

Comment

• Hello Nats,

Thank you. Well said. I totally agree.

best wishes

Phil
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

• Norma,

I think my point has been made.

Don.
                                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
                                X