Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Prime Minister

Greetings all,

Recently on the Jack the Ripper Writers web site, Joe Chetcuti posted a letter that was written by Francis Tumblety on January 22, 1890. Tumblety mailed it to the Prime Minister of Canada, Sir John Alexander MacDonald. It was sent from 245 Washington Street in Brooklyn. A year earlier, Tumblety was known to have taken up residence at 204 Washington Street in Brooklyn, so he was familiar with the nighborhood.

Joe e-mailed a copy of the letter to me and gave me permission to share it with whoever I want. So here it is:
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

The following is the letter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tumblety letter to PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	659568

Comment

This is how I think the Tumblety's letter reads:

Sir:
      I take the liberty of send-
      ing you herewith a copy of a
      Autographical sketch of my
      own life.

I have been bitterly maligned
      and have thought it best
      to let an unvarnished account
      of my career be an answer
      to malice and inadversions.

Hoping that you will give the
      book your kind considerations.
      I am yours sincerely,
      Francis Tumblety M.D.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Hello Mike,

Thank you and Joe for posting this letter. A very nice find indeed. An excellent example of his handwriting, is it not?

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Mike and Joe,

Nice find.

I wonder why someone with as many social pretensions as Tumblety didn't use headed notepaper.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Joe and Mike, thanks for posting this.

Mike, thanks for the transcript. I read one word slightly differently from you. It looks like "malice and malversions" to me rather than "malice and inadversions", but that particular word isn't very clear so I'm not sure which is correct.

"Malice and malversions" does have alliteration going for it, which might appeal to Tumblety, and it also reinforces the idea that those who criticize him do so from bad motives- "mal".

What do you think?

Thanks again guys.
            Archaic

Comment

Thanks all. I certainly appreciate Joe allowing me to do this.

Archaic. I believe you are correct. There is a tiny blemish that looks like a dotting of an "i".

The Brooklyn Bridge was opened up in 1883, and this address is so close to the bridge. It's also about three miles from his residence in NYC on the other side of the bridge with NYC's "Whitechapel" district inbetween.

Just as Phil was commenting upon, I am intrigued about the handwriting, especially his signature. Interestingly, Chris Scott made a copy of Tumblety's signature from the book Tumblety has presented to the Prime Minister. There are many differences. ...hmmm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumbsig.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	659581

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                I wonder why someone with as many social pretensions as Tumblety didn't use headed notepaper.
                That's a very good point. Here's a guy who was always having cards and newspaper advertisements printed but, apparently, wouldn't spring for personal stationery. Odd.

BTW, Canada's first Prime Minister did, in fact, spell his surname with a lower-case "d". I'm impressed that Tumblety got that right.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                  That's a very good point. Here's a guy who was always having cards and newspaper advertisements printed but, apparently, wouldn't spring for personal stationery. Odd.

BTW, Canada's first Prime Minister did, in fact, spell his surname with a lower-case "d". I'm impressed that Tumblety got that right.

Continuing with Simon's point, here's a thought. Tumblety most likely printed a number of these books in order to send them out to selected people like the PM. If he used this type of paper intentionally, maybe he wanted a personal/private touch, as opposed to an official looking touch. Just a thought.

Grave Maurice, your comment about Tumblety knowing the "d" was because he was actually born in Canada and not Ireland...just kidding Wolf

Mike

Comment

Not that important but...

Doesn't it read biographical rather than autobiographical?

All the best

Dave

PS I too believe it's inadversions rather than malversions...compare the d in the former with the d in consideration...the character isn't at all like the other "l"s eg bitterly or biographical...
                    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM. Reason: PS added

Comment

Three years to the month Dave! You mean biographical rather than 'autographical'. I believe you are correct.

I'm glad you posted. Since this thread, we are now privy to twenty other letters from Tumblety (thanks to Neil Storey), and in comparing them, they are so similar in tone!

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                        Just as Phil was commenting upon, I am intrigued about the handwriting, especially his signature. Interestingly, Chris Scott made a copy of Tumblety's signature from the book Tumblety has presented to the Prime Minister. There are many differences. ...hmmm.

[ATTACH]9376[/ATTACH]

Sincerely,

Mike
                        Possible a secretary penned this?

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                          Possible a secretary penned this?
                          Hi Beowulf,

Certainly, especially since he was known to do this. My guess is Tumblety's private letters to Hall Caine are his handwriting, so we could compare with those.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Great find (Jo C)! Thanks for posting Mike.
                            It reads as "inadversions" to me as there is a dot over the lettering in the word so the first letter would be an "i".
                            Did I read somewhere that T dictated his autobiographies to his secretary so could the letter have been dictated rather than written by him?
                            Just a thought...
                            Best,

Siobhán
                            Blog: http://siobhanpatriciamulcahy.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                              Continuing with Simon's point, here's a thought. Tumblety most likely printed a number of these books in order to send them out to selected people like the PM. If he used this type of paper intentionally, maybe he wanted a personal/private touch, as opposed to an official looking touch. Just a thought.

Grave Maurice, your comment about Tumblety knowing the "d" was because he was actually born in Canada and not Ireland...just kidding Wolf

Mike
                              If it was dictated, that explains the paper, because people taking dictation used paper that folded at the top, rather than notebooks.

Although, people taking straight dictation were using shorthand by 1890, if they were professional secretaries, and then typing the letter.

Is it possible that Tumblety had something even more pretentious than engraved stationery-- an early version of a Dictaphone?

That kind of paper is also what academics use, so maybe the idea is to make it seem like researched, academic paper, and not just some guy saying he's telling the truth about himself, and you know it's true because he says so. Yeah, that's more likely than a Dictaphone. Although, Tumblety does seem like the kind of guy who'd've gotten a car phone in 1988, and a laptop when most people still didn't have desktops at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X