New York World articles 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York World articles 1888

In late November and early December 1888 the New York World ran a series of long articles about Tumblety which are not in the Press Reports section. I will post these here and send for inclusion in the Press Reports. These are four in number and the first is below:-

Articles from the New York World

26 November 1888

HE IS A MYSTERY TO ALL
    WHO AND WHAT IS "DR" TWOMBLETY, THE WHITECHAPEL SUSPECT?

Among the scores of men arrested by the London police, suspected of having had something to do with the Whitechapel horrors, only one is still regarded with suspicion. He is said to be an American and his name has come over the cables as Kumberty, Twomberty and Tumberty, but the description which accompanied the various names was the same all the time, and it told of a man who, once seen, was not likely to be forgotten. He is known from one end of the country to the other, but, strange to say, while scores of people can give the most minute particulars as to his dress, carriage and personal appearance, from the color of his scarf to the size of his boot, no one appears to have the least idea of his home life, his business, his associates or his friends.
    Men who have known him by sight for thirty years never saw him greet any one as a friend, never saw him in company with any one, and never knew just what his business was. It seems impossible that a man whose appearance is so striking as to attract universal attention on a crowded street should be able to throw about his movements an air of such impenetrable mystery. He has been seen in almost every city of the country from San Francisco to Bangor, Ma., yet no one knows where he was born, where he was raised, whether he is married or single, childless or with a family, or a hundred other little details which ordinary men are so fond of talking about.
    "Dr." Twomblety, for that is the name by which he is known in New York, is a man who evidently has some strong reason for keeping his life buried in profound obscurity. The World a week ago published something of his career in this city.
    "I have known Dr. Twomblety by sight for thirty years," said William H Carr, the veteran clerk of the Fifth Avenue Hotel, last night, "and I can tell you absolutely nothing about the man's habits, except what clothes he wore and how he looked. It was along in the fifties when I first saw him. I was then living in Boston, and I believe he lived somewhere in the North End. There was a vague rumor that he had an office somewhere and sold patent medicine, but I never saw any one who knew where the shop was or what he sold. Every one noticed him in those days, as is the case now, on account of his peculiar dressing. He would appear on the street in the most outlandish garments, fancy colored vests, gorgeous jewelry, and flashy coats and trousers.
    "When I came to New York early in the sixties I saw the 'doctor' perambulating Broadway with his enormous greyhound following after him. In those days he used to wear a velvet coat, a blood red tie, a flowered vest, white trousers and flashy gloves, and he always carried a riding whip in his hand. He came into the Fifth Avenue Hotel often and would walk through the lobby in pompous style, with his chest thrown out and his shoulders well squared; but I never in my life saw him speak to any one, I never saw him accompanied by a friend and I never knew him to inquire for any one. I have often speculated about his means of living. I never saw any one who could tell anything about him, though hundreds of people knew his name and had seen him in cities all over the country. I have not seen him for several years and the last time he came into the hotel I noticed that he was aging rapidly. He is a singular character."
    "Did you ever hear that he had an aversion to women?" Mr. Carr was asked.
    "I heard several stories about that," he replied, "and the general impression among those who knew about his habits was that he avoided women. I never heard of his offering them any violence, and, indeed, he was the very last man I would think likely to be guilty of such crimes as those in Whitechapel."
    Col. James L. Sothern, of Chicago, the well known lawyer, was talking to a group of friends in the Hoffman House when some one mentioned Twomblety's name. "I have met that fellow all over America and Europe," said Col. Sothern. "The first time I saw him was in London. It was along about 1870, I believe, and he was dressed up in the most startling fashion. I never saw anything quite equal to it. He had an enormous Russian shako on his head, an overcoat, the front of which was covered with decorations; earrings in his ears and by his side a very black negro fantastically got up in a parti colored dress that appeared to be a blending of the flags of all nations. A great crowd followed him, but he didn't appear to notice them. I saw him afterwards in San Francisco, and I have seen him a hundred times in Chicago. Once I met him in Cincinnati parading through the Burnet House, and I asked the clerk who he was. He told me the fellow's name was Twomblety, but he said he nothing about him, except that he didn't live there, and appeared to know no one. He said that he was kind of patent medicine man, he believed, who sold some off color medicine."
    James Pryor, the detective of the Fifth Avenue Hotel, appeared to know more of the mysterious Twomblety than any one else. "It must be about twenty years ago since I first saw him," said Pryor, "and I can see him now just like he was then. He had an army officer's cap, a big cape and light colored trousers. He was a dandy then, I tell you. You couldn't find a finer made man in this town. He had a big black mustache, one of the backing brush kind, black eyes, a good complexion, and a walk like he had just been elected Alderman. He had a kind of a fake medicine shop down on Grand Street, where he sold his patent medicine. They chased him away from there and he opened up his place in Jersey City. I don't know how he made his money, but he always appeared to have plenty of it.
    "Wherever he went he was followed by a thickset young man who kept about twenty paces behind him. They never spoke to each other; and when the 'doctor' would come into the hotel his shadow would lounge in after him. They got to telling tough stories about the 'doctor,' and the guests complained about him - the gentlemen, I mean - and said they didn't care to have him so near them, so I determined to bounce him. I remember that day very well, because I fired another fellow just before I did the 'doctor' and what happened afterwards made me remember that other fellow.
    "The other chap was a wild faced little fellow, who used to be 'strung up' by the Republican National Committee in the daytime. They would get him to make speeches for them, and tell him they were going to give him a consulship. I said to them, 'You had better let that fellow alone. He will hurt somebody one day.' One morning I went into the reading room and there he was writing a speech in his bare feet. He had taken his shoes off and thrown them aside. I had a tough time getting him out, because he didn't want to go. The little fellow's name was Guiteau, and three months afterwards he killed President Garfield.
    "But I never had that trouble with the 'doctor.' He was very quiet and as soon as he tumbled to the fact that I knew him he went right out. I saw him a year afterwards passing the hotel. He never came in, though. I have spent the best part of twenty years on Broadway and I have seen a great many curious characters, but Twomblety is one of the oddest fish I ever saw. He always had plenty of money, he appeared to dress regardless of expense and paid his bills, but I never could find out where the money came from or where the fellow lived."
    "Do you think he is the Whitechapel murderer?"
    "I certainly do not," the detective replied emphatically. "If I were to search New York for a man less likely to be guilty than the 'doctor' I wouldn't find him. Why, he hasn't the nerve of a chicken. He just had enough nerve to put some molasses and water together and label it a medicine - the biggest nerve being in the label - and sell it."
    "Did he have an antipathy for women?"
    "He seemed indifferent to them. I never saw him in all his walks up and down Broadway look at a woman. He never appeared to care for them, and many a time I have seen women look after him, for he was a very handsome fellow. He had the smallest hand and foot I ever saw. During the later years of his residence here he wore fewer diamonds and appeared to be getting a little toned down in his dress. He used to go abroad often and what he went for nobody ever knew. I never heard the sound of his voice in all the years I saw him."
    However impressed with the belief in the 'doctor's' harmlessness those to whom he was a familiar figure here may be, the London police evidently do not share it. Although nothing tangible was produced connecting the eccentric wanderer with the Whitechapel crimes, the English authorities have evidently not abandoned their suspicions. Only a few days ago the London Chief of Police telegraphed to San Francisco requesting that specimens of Twomblety's handwriting in possession of the Hibernia bank there be forwarded to him. When these are compared with the chirography of "Jack the Ripper" another chapter may be added to the life story of this man of mystery.
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-25-2010, 12:00 AM.

Wow! This predates the Colonel Dunham interview.

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

I've had a private message querying the date of this article so, as requested, I am posting the start of the article and the banner with the date
      Hope this helps
      Chris S
      Attached Files

Comment

27 November 1888

THEY KNEW DR. TWOMBLETY.
        HE WAS AN “ELECTRIC” DOCTOR AT ST. JOHN, N.B., BUT FLED SUDDENLY

Dr. Twomblety, the eccentric character under arrest in London in connection with the Whitechapel crimes, appeared in St. John, N.B. (New Brunswick) in 1860 and left there a fugitive from justice. He located in Boston, where he is well known as a mysterious person of questionable reputation. He has made money, but his curious method of spending it first brought him under the surveillance of the London police.
        The mysterious Dr. Twomblety, the American arrested in London, Nov. 16, suspected of having had some connection with the Whitechapel murders, an account of whose singular actions appeared in yesterday’s World, seems to have figured extensively in Boston, where he is very well known. The same veil of mystery enveloped his life in that city as everywhere else.
        The first appearance of Twomblety was in 1860 and 1861, when he cut a great figure at St. John, N.B. He claimed to be an electric physician of international reputation. He put up at the leading hotel of the city, and by his pretentious airs convinced the people that he was all he represented himself to be. He adopted the same system of personal advertisement he has followed up ever since, only in those early days he was given to extremes in dress. He would dash through the streets mounted on a superb white horse, followed by a troop of thoroughbred greyhounds, and arrayed in the most gorgeous style. Practice poured into him, he charged whatever fee he pleased and made money rapidly.
        Presently it began to be whispered about that the “doctor” was a pretentious humbug and vulgar charlatan. The more respectable portion of the community dropped him. Just at this time one of his patients died, and under very peculiar circumstances. The man’s name was Portmore, and as he was well known and had many friends, his death created a sensation. A request was made by the family for an autopsy, and when it was held it was found that Portmore’s death was entirely due to the “doctor’s” atrocious treatment. So gross was the malpractice that the case was at once given to the Coroner, and a jury was empanelled to more fully investigate.
        There is a great deal of red tape about Coroners’ juries in that part of the country, and by the time the jury had thoroughly sifted all the evidence and proved that the “doctor” was guilty of manslaughter, he had fled to Boston. For some unknown reason he was never pursued, and he was soon as conspicuous in Boston as he had been in St. John. There was the same white horse, the same collection of dogs, the same gorgeous dressing.
        His St. John experience made him careful about the general practice of medicine, and he appeared in Boston as the inventor of a sure cure for pimples. He devoted his time entirely to ladies and did a rushing business. His trade increased to such an extent that he opened a branch office in this city, and afterwards he worked Jersey City and Pittsburgh and many western cities, going as far as San Francisco.
        He also made himself conspicuous in Canada, and his big form, set off by striking attire, is as familiar to Toronto and Montreal as it is to New York. In Canada he was very fond of exhibiting to newly made acquaintances a medal which purported to be the gift of his admirers when he left Canada to begin what he termed his “crusade against the pimples which disfigured the faces of American women.” In his wanderings he did not forget the fashionable watering places, and at even so exclusive and aristocratic a spot as White Sulphur Springs he paraded himself, with all his offensive vulgarity of attire, to the great horror of the staid old Virginia aristocracy.
        By some it is said that Twomblety is not the man’s real name at all, but that he was known as Sullivan and lived in Nova Scotia up to 1864. There is evidently either a confusion of names or dates about this statement as there is conclusive proof that the “doctor” was known as Twomblety in St. John two years before 1862, and as Twomblety he was quite well known in New York and Boston in 1864 and for many years afterwards. There appears to be no doubt that Twomblety in his myriad of movings did at one time live in Nova Scotia, where it is said he behaved in such a scandalous manner as to bring himself into great odium.
        In various cities the “doctor” has been shadowed by the police. Detectives have followed him, watched his office, dogged his footsteps, noted his companions and tried in every way to find out the secret of his private life which he so jealously guarded, and not one of them had been successful. Who is he? What is his nationality? Where is his home, his family? Who are his friends, his associates? None of these questions has ever been answered.
        Innumerable stories are told of the “doctor” which are all more or less apocryphal. It is said that once, when he lived at Pittsburgh, he was thrown from his horse while riding through the street and was carried home for dead. He lay in a trance for three days. Every one considered him dead, and preparations were made for his funeral. At last the undertaker came with the coffin and everything being ready the doctor was put into it. But, alas, the coffin was too short. When the “doctor” was safely stowed away, out popped his feet, and when his feet were carefully tucked in, up bobbed his head. Here was a pretty muddle. The coffin could not be sent back, there was no time for that, and besides it was the longest one available. At last the undertaker determined that it was all obstinacy on the part of the corpse, and if the coffin did not fit him he was to blame, not the coffin, and should be made to fit it. Thus reasoning he provided himself with a saw and prepared to remove the “doctor’s” legs, but they were the pride of the “doctor” in life and he was not going to desert them in death. So he sat bolt upright in the coffin and vigorously protested. The undertaker became a raving maniac and the “doctor” saved his legs.
        A few years ago the pimple banishing enterprise was moved to London, where the doctor for a time is said to have made money. It was his queer method of spending his money that attracted the Scotland Yard detectives to him, and after a slight investigation he was arrested, the idea being that if he were not the Whitechapel fiend, he is a dangerous character, and is not entitled to his liberty.

Comment

"The mysterious Dr. Twomblety, the American arrested in London, Nov. 16,..." This is referring to the second arrest!

Comment

Hi MH
            That struck me too as there has been all the discussion about whether he would still have been in custiody at the time of the Kelly murder on the 9th
            I double checked the passage and the relevant bit is below
            regards
            Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
              Hi MH
              That struck me too as there has been all the discussion about whether he would still have been in custiody at the time of the Kelly murder on the 9th
              I double checked the passage and the relevant bit is below
              regards
              Chris
              Chris,

It is very interesting that these articles were only 10/11 days after his Whitechapel arrest, and within that time an impressive amount of research was accomplished. It certainly suggests they knew him to be a Whitechapel suspect prior to their extensive search into his history.

Great find, Chris!

Mike

Comment

"Only a few days ago the London Chief of Police telegraphed to San Francisco requesting that specimens of Twomblety's handwriting in possession of the Hibernia bank there be forwarded to him."

This certainly suggests London officials considered him a serious suspect, had little on him (so, no extradition), followed him to the U.S., and then looked for additional evidence.

Also, it is interesting that the reporter asked two separate acquaintences if Tumblety disliked women. It may suggest that their source not only told them Tumblety was a Whitechapel suspect but also told them he was a woman-hater. This certainly corroborates the Littlechild comments about hating women.

Mike

Comment

Here is the first part of the article from 2 December:

2 December 1888

TUMBLETY IS MISSING
                  The American Charlatan Suspected of the Whitechapel Murders Skips from London
                  HE WAS LAST SEEN AT HAVRE
                  Is He On His Way Home Over the Ocean to New York?
                  HE HAD A BITTER HATRED OF WOMEN

Copyright 1888 by the Press Publishing Company (New York World)

London, Dec. 1.
                  The last seen of Dr. Tumblety was at Havre, and it is taken for granted that he has sailed for New York. It will be remembered that the doctor, who is known in this country for his eccentricities, was arrested some time ago in London on suspicion of being concerned in the perpetration of the Whitechapel murders. The police, being unable to procure the necessary evidence against him in connection therewith decided to hold him for trial for another offense against a statute which was passed shortly after the publication in the Pall Mall Gazette of “The Maiden Tribute,” and as a direct consequence thereof Dr. Tumblety was committed for trial and liberated on bail, two gentlemen coming forward to act as bondsmen in the amount of $1,500. On being hunted by the police today, they asserted that they had only known the doctor for a few days previous to his arrest.

TUMBLETY’S CAREER.
                  The Grounds of Suspecting Him of Committing the Crimes.

A London detective wishing to get information about the man now under arrest for complicity in some way with the Whitechapel crimes has only to go to any large city the world over, describe the curious garb and manners of Francis Tumblety, M.D., and he can gather facts and surmises to almost any extent. In London he calls himself Twomblety. In this city there are scores who know him, and not one has a kind word to say for the strange creature, but from those most intimate come rumors, reports and positive assertions of the practices of the man.
                  In this city he had a little experience with the law, and this enabled the lawyers to worm out something of his history. William P. Burr, of No. 320 Broadway, speaking of the man yesterday, said:
                  “I met him in July 1880. He brought a suit against a Mrs. Lyons, charging her with the larceny of $7,000 worth of bonds, and I was retained to defend her. It seems that several years before he met the son of Mrs. Lyons while walking on the Battery. The lad had just come from college and was a fine looking young man. He was out of employment. Tumblety greeted him and soon had him under complete control. He made him a sort of secretary in the management of his bonds, of which he had about $100,000 worth, mostly in governments, locked up in a downtown safe deposit company. He employed the youth as an amanuensis, as he personally was most illiterate. On April April28, 1878, the ‘Doctor,’ as he was called, started for Europe by the Guion line steamer Montana. See, here is his name on the passenger list, ‘Dr. Tumblety.’ He gave a power of attorney to the young man, and under that some South Carolina railroad bonds were disposed of, as it was claimed and shown, under an agreement that they were to be taken as compensation. When Tumblety got back the young man had disappeared and the mother was arrested, charged by the ‘Doctor’ with having taken the bonds. I remember the examination to which I subjected him at the Tombs Police Court.
                  “James D. McClelland was his lawyer, and I went into a history of the doctor’s life. I remember well how indignant he became when I asked him what institution had the honor of graduating so precious a pupil. He refused to answer, and was told that the only reason for which he could refuse was that the answer would tend to humiliate of criminate him. He still refused to answer, and I thought he would spring at me to strike. There was quite a commotion in court. The case fell through and the old lady was not held. The son returned and brought a suit against the doctor, charging atrocious assault, and the evidence collected in this case was of the most disgusting sort. The lawyer who had the matter in hand is now dead, but I remember that there was a page of the Police Gazette as one exhibit, in which the portrait of the doctor appeared, with several columns of biography about him. This suit was not pushed, and then came another suit brought by this Tumblety against William P. O’Connor, a broker, for disposing of the bonds. Boardman & Boardman defended and gathered up a great mass of evidence against the doctor. Charles Frost and Charles Chambers, detectives of Brooklyn, had evidence against him. At this time he kept an herb store, or something of that sort, at No. 77 East Tenth Street. The suit did not come to anything, and I do not know of any other law matters in which this notorious man was concerned.

HIS LIFE HISTORY NOT KNOWN.
                  “I had seen him before that time hovering about the old Post Office building, where there were many clerks. He had a seeming mania for the company of young men and grown up youths. In the course of our investigations about the man we gathered up many stray bits of history about him, but nothing to make a connected life story. He had a superabundance of cheek and nothing could make him abashed. He was a coward physically, though he looked like a giant, and he struck me as one who would be vindictive to the last degree. He was a tremendous traveller, and while away in Europe his letters to young Lyon showed that he was in every city in Europe. The English authorities, who are now telegraphing for samples of his writing from San Francisco, ought to get them in any city in Europe. I had a big batch of letters sent by him to the young man Lyon, and they were the most amazing farrago of illiterate nonsense. Here is one written from the West. He never failed to warn his correspondent against lewd women, and in doing it used the most shocking language. I do not know how he made his money. He had it before he became acquainted with the Lyon family, and was a very liberal spender. My own idea of this case is that it would be just such a thing as Tumblety would be concerned in, but he might get one of his victims to do the work, for once he had a young man under his control, he seemed to be able to do anything with the victim.”

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    Here is the first part of the article from 2 December:

2 December 1888

TUMBLETY IS MISSING
                    The American Charlatan Suspected of the Whitechapel Murders Skips from London
                    HE WAS LAST SEEN AT HAVRE
                    Is He On His Way Home Over the Ocean to New York?
                    HE HAD A BITTER HATRED OF WOMEN

Copyright 1888 by the Press Publishing Company (New York World)

London, Dec. 1.
                    The last seen of Dr. Tumblety was at Havre, and it is taken for granted that he has sailed for New York. It will be remembered that the doctor, who is known in this country for his eccentricities, was arrested some time ago in London on suspicion of being concerned in the perpetration of the Whitechapel murders. The police, being unable to procure the necessary evidence against him in connection therewith decided to hold him for trial for another offense against a statute which was passed shortly after the publication in the Pall Mall Gazette of “The Maiden Tribute,” and as a direct consequence thereof Dr. Tumblety was committed for trial and liberated on bail, two gentlemen coming forward to act as bondsmen in the amount of $1,500. On being hunted by the police today, they asserted that they had only known the doctor for a few days previous to his arrest.

TUMBLETY’S CAREER.
                    The Grounds of Suspecting Him of Committing the Crimes.

A London detective wishing to get information about the man now under arrest for complicity in some way with the Whitechapel crimes has only to go to any large city the world over, describe the curious garb and manners of Francis Tumblety, M.D., and he can gather facts and surmises to almost any extent. In London he calls himself Twomblety. In this city there are scores who know him, and not one has a kind word to say for the strange creature, but from those most intimate come rumors, reports and positive assertions of the practices of the man.
                    In this city he had a little experience with the law, and this enabled the lawyers to worm out something of his history. William P. Burr, of No. 320 Broadway, speaking of the man yesterday, said:
                    “I met him in July 1880. He brought a suit against a Mrs. Lyons, charging her with the larceny of $7,000 worth of bonds, and I was retained to defend her. It seems that several years before he met the son of Mrs. Lyons while walking on the Battery. The lad had just come from college and was a fine looking young man. He was out of employment. Tumblety greeted him and soon had him under complete control. He made him a sort of secretary in the management of his bonds, of which he had about $100,000 worth, mostly in governments, locked up in a downtown safe deposit company. He employed the youth as an amanuensis, as he personally was most illiterate. On April April28, 1878, the ‘Doctor,’ as he was called, started for Europe by the Guion line steamer Montana. See, here is his name on the passenger list, ‘Dr. Tumblety.’ He gave a power of attorney to the young man, and under that some South Carolina railroad bonds were disposed of, as it was claimed and shown, under an agreement that they were to be taken as compensation. When Tumblety got back the young man had disappeared and the mother was arrested, charged by the ‘Doctor’ with having taken the bonds. I remember the examination to which I subjected him at the Tombs Police Court.
                    “James D. McClelland was his lawyer, and I went into a history of the doctor’s life. I remember well how indignant he became when I asked him what institution had the honor of graduating so precious a pupil. He refused to answer, and was told that the only reason for which he could refuse was that the answer would tend to humiliate of criminate him. He still refused to answer, and I thought he would spring at me to strike. There was quite a commotion in court. The case fell through and the old lady was not held. The son returned and brought a suit against the doctor, charging atrocious assault, and the evidence collected in this case was of the most disgusting sort. The lawyer who had the matter in hand is now dead, but I remember that there was a page of the Police Gazette as one exhibit, in which the portrait of the doctor appeared, with several columns of biography about him. This suit was not pushed, and then came another suit brought by this Tumblety against William P. O’Connor, a broker, for disposing of the bonds. Boardman & Boardman defended and gathered up a great mass of evidence against the doctor. Charles Frost and Charles Chambers, detectives of Brooklyn, had evidence against him. At this time he kept an herb store, or something of that sort, at No. 77 East Tenth Street. The suit did not come to anything, and I do not know of any other law matters in which this notorious man was concerned.

HIS LIFE HISTORY NOT KNOWN.
                    “I had seen him before that time hovering about the old Post Office building, where there were many clerks. He had a seeming mania for the company of young men and grown up youths. In the course of our investigations about the man we gathered up many stray bits of history about him, but nothing to make a connected life story. He had a superabundance of cheek and nothing could make him abashed. He was a coward physically, though he looked like a giant, and he struck me as one who would be vindictive to the last degree. He was a tremendous traveller, and while away in Europe his letters to young Lyon showed that he was in every city in Europe. The English authorities, who are now telegraphing for samples of his writing from San Francisco, ought to get them in any city in Europe. I had a big batch of letters sent by him to the young man Lyon, and they were the most amazing farrago of illiterate nonsense. Here is one written from the West. He never failed to warn his correspondent against lewd women, and in doing it used the most shocking language. I do not know how he made his money. He had it before he became acquainted with the Lyon family, and was a very liberal spender. My own idea of this case is that it would be just such a thing as Tumblety would be concerned in, but he might get one of his victims to do the work, for once he had a young man under his control, he seemed to be able to do anything with the victim.”
                    Hi Chris,

I'm scratching my head. Does anyone else not know the significance of these finds? A couple of the most convincing arguments against Tumblety being a serious JTR suspect were, Scotland Yard not considering him a serious suspect, and there was no convincing evidence Tumblety hated women (only the Colonel Dunham interview and we know to be bad goods), thus no motive. These articles clarify that there is a very high probability Scotland Yard considered him a serious suspect AND these articles predate the Dunham interview (Scotland Yard had evidence he was a woman-hater just as the Littlechild interview states). Dunham may have even crafted his story around these very articles.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
                      I thought it important for these to be on the site as they are not yet in the Press Reports
                      The Dunham interview and others feature in the second part of the 2 December article
                      Regards
                      Chris

Comment

Hi Chris and Mike.

The World had its own news service so many of its stories went out on the wire and were reprinted in newspapers around the US. This is certainly true of the three articles you have posted here Chris. Because of this fact these three articles already appear in the Press Section of the Casebook.

The 26th of November World article can be found reprinted by the Pittsburgh Daily Chronicle and Telegraph, 27 November, 1888; the 27th of November article was reprinted by the Washington Evening Star, 27 November, 1888, and the 2nd of December article can be found as the Rochester Democrat and Republican, 3 December, 1888.

I should also point out that extreme caution should be taken when attempting to theorize using articles printed by the World on the subject of Tumblety.

That “Colonel” Dunham obviously faked the information found in his interview of the 1st of December, 1888, should not be news to anyone interested in the quack doctor. However, it should also be noted that Tim Riordan, author of the excellent Tumblety biography, Prince of Quacks, has been unable to find any evidence that the “Col. James L. Sothern, of Chicago, the well known lawyer…” interviewed in the 26th of November, 1888, World article ever actually existed. He appears in no Chicago census records, city directories or newspaper stories. Tim’s conclusion, and I have to agree with him, is that Sothern is just another of Dunham’s lies made up to cash in on Tumblety’s newsworthy name. There are probably other examples of this deception by Dunham which have yet to be uncovered.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                          Hi Chris and Mike.

The World had its own news service so many of its stories went out on the wire and were reprinted in newspapers around the US. This is certainly true of the three articles you have posted here Chris. Because of this fact these three articles already appear in the Press Section of the Casebook.

The 26th of November World article can be found reprinted by the Pittsburgh Daily Chronicle and Telegraph, 27 November, 1888; the 27th of November article was reprinted by the Washington Evening Star, 27 November, 1888, and the 2nd of December article can be found as the Rochester Democrat and Republican, 3 December, 1888.

I should also point out that extreme caution should be taken when attempting to theorize using articles printed by the World on the subject of Tumblety.

That “Colonel” Dunham obviously faked the information found in his interview of the 1st of December, 1888, should not be news to anyone interested in the quack doctor. However, it should also be noted that Tim Riordan, author of the excellent Tumblety biography, Prince of Quacks, has been unable to find any evidence that the “Col. James L. Sothern, of Chicago, the well known lawyer…” interviewed in the 26th of November, 1888, World article ever actually existed. He appears in no Chicago census records, city directories or newspaper stories. Tim’s conclusion, and I have to agree with him, is that Sothern is just another of Dunham’s lies made up to cash in on Tumblety’s newsworthy name. There are probably other examples of this deception by Dunham which have yet to be uncovered.

Wolf.
                          Point well taken Wolf. Could the Colonel Sothern have a connection with Colonel Dunham?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Hi Wolf
                            Just caught up with your post for which many thanks
                            I remember some time back posting a sentiment to the effect that "I would prefer an item of information to be on Casebook (i.e. available for study) twice rather than not at all"
                            So I do not in any way consider situations like this a waste of time.
                            In fact as the World was the source of the articles I will still forward them for inclusion in the Press Reports
                            But many thanks Wolf for the valuable info that these reports were reprinted and available elsewhere
                            Hope all is well
                            Regards
                            Chris

Comment

Hi All,

I, too, was unable to find "Col. James L. Sothern, of Chicago, the well known lawyer" and suspect it's another invention.

But I did find William H. Carr of the Fifth Avenue Hotel in the Syracuse Journal, 20th September 1890, so at least he might have said what was reported. He appears to have been quite well known, and was shot in the hip during a New York Orangemen disturbance in 1871. Note he is referred to as 'Col'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CARR SYRACUSE JOURNAL SEP 20 1890.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	658495

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                              X