Misc. Tumblety Articles From Contemporary Medical Journals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misc. Tumblety Articles From Contemporary Medical Journals

I have a number of short articles relating to Dr. Tumblety that for the sake of simplicity I'm going to group together on one thread.
    The articles span 20 years or so, and virtually all of them come from contemporary medical journals. Many discuss Tumblety as a 'quack' and a nuisance to genuine physicians; some of the later articles refer to his 1888 London arrest and the Whitechapel murders.

As far as I can tell these particular articles have not been posted on Casebook before, but if they have, my apologies...
    I sincerely hope it won't kill anybody to see them again.
    I'm not a Tumblety expert and I'm not making any claims of exclusivity; in fact, just the opposite.

> Please note that all of these articles come from Public Domain sources which are available to everyone
    through their local Public Libraries, University Libraries, and via archived Internet collections.

Anyone can find them with a little patience. All of the resources that I used were completely free.
    Unlike newspapers, only a small percentage of the old medical journals have ever been digitized, so who knows
    what gems are lurking in the dusty volumes held in storage at your local library?

If others wish to contribute articles etc to this thread they are very welcome to do so.

Thanks and best regards, Archaic

This first article is from The Western Druggist, December 1888:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Archaic; 01-05-2010, 12:04 AM.

gems

Hello Archaic. Nice find!

"what gems are lurking in the dusty volumes held in storage at your local library?"

Indeed!

The best.
    LC

Comment

1881 Tumblety Article re: 'Picking A Pocket' -Medical & Surgical Reporter

This is from the April 9, 1881 edition of The Medical and Surgical Reporter.

Does anybody know about the incident it refers to?

I assume that Dr T sold a bogus remedy and ended up with an unhappy customer.

Best regards, Archaic
      Attached Files

Comment

1888 Dr T Arrested for WCM: 'Busy Bees', 'Dr Blackburn' etc

This is from the December 1888 'Medical Standard'.

The 'Busy Bees' was some kind of NY men's club; apparently they scandalized everyone with their parties.

By the way, 'Busy Bees' was a very popular name for Woimens charitable Organizations connected to various Churches, so I think the ale "debauchees" might have chosen it for this reason.
        There was also an Athletic Club made up of US Army veterans named The Busy Bees, but I don't know if they are connected.

Best regards, Archaic
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Archaic; 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Hi, Lynn; thanks. I love libraries!

I live in an area that was barely settled in the late 19th Century, but I still found quite a bit; I was surprised.
          I'm sure that those who live in older cities- especially cities with universities and medical schools- will be able to find a lot more.

Cheers, Archaic

Comment

April 1875 Dr T: Liverpool Poison Charges

Article from the April 22, 1875 edition of 'The Boston Medical and Surgical Journal'.

Best regards, Archaic
            Attached Files

Comment

Woman-Hater predating Colonlet Dunham's Interview

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              I have a number of short articles relating to Dr. Tumblety that for the sake of simplicity I'm going to group together on one thread.
              The articles span 20 years or so, and virtually all of them come from contemporary medical journals. Many discuss Tumblety as a 'quack' and a nuisance to genuine physicians; some of the later articles refer to his 1888 London arrest and the Whitechapel murders.

As far as I can tell these particular articles have not been posted on Casebook before, but if they have, my apologies...
              I sincerely hope it won't kill anybody to see them again.
              I'm not a Tumblety expert and I'm not making any claims of exclusivity; in fact, just the opposite.

> Please note that all of these articles come from Public Domain sources which are available to everyone
              through their local Public Libraries, University Libraries, and via archived Internet collections.

Anyone can find them with a little patience. All of the resources that I used were completely free.
              Unlike newspapers, only a small percentage of the old medical journals have ever been digitized, so who knows
              what gems are lurking in the dusty volumes held in storage at your local library?

If others wish to contribute articles etc to this thread they are very welcome to do so.

Thanks and best regards, Archaic

This first article is from The Western Druggist, December 1888:
              Awesome find Archaic. Am I wrong, or is this the first confirmed record of Scotland Yard considering Tumblety a woman-hater prior to Colonel Dunham's December 1888 interview? If so, it confirms that Dunham was not the source for Tumblety being a woman-hater, since some suggest this confirmed scam artist made it all up. It would be clear evidence that Scotland Yard discovered Tumblety as a woman hater.

Mike
              The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
              http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hi, Mike; glad you like the articles.

I'm afraid I'm not a Tumblety expert so I can't answer your question about Colonel Dunham & Scotland Yard,
                but I'm confident that someone will come along soon who can.

Best regards, Archaic
                Last edited by Archaic; 01-05-2010, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike, Archaic,

Mike, perhaps the answer to what you ask may be somewhere on the Casebook.
                  I am no expert on Tumblety, but I am sure there are dissertations about him that have info?

Archaic, really interesting articles. Thank you for posting them! :-)

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

September 1860 Dr Tumblety Fined In New Brunswick

This article is from The Boston Medical & Surgical Journal, September 27, 1860.

The article cites 'British Am. Journal'- I'm not sure, but this might be 'The British American Medical & Physical Journal'.

Tumblety was fined in St. John's, New Brunswick, Canada.

Best regards, Archaic
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tumblety expert

Hello Archaic. You are getting to be quite the expert on Tumblety.

Have you run across any of his political notions? Contributions, things of that nature?

"I love libraries!"

Agreed. They are old, musty and mouldy--like me!

The best.
                      LC

Comment

Hi, Lynn.

I'm really not a Tumblety expert by any stretch of the imagination, I just read too much....and the longer it's been out of print, the better!

In fact, while re-reading that last article I was just thinking that our dear friend Dr. Tumblety is like a character out of Thackeray's 'Vanity Fair'

I have been looking mostly in medical journals and a few 'variety' journals, so i haven't come across much in the way of Dr T's political notions... Let me look & see if I have anything you might find interesting. (My bag of tricks is a little disorganized, but I'm working on it. )

Cheers, B.

Comment

Canadian Parliament Pays For Chemical Analysis of Tumblety's Medicines

This is from an 1867 volume called 'Canadian Parliamentary Proceedings and Sessional Papers'.

Tumblety is mentioned in #92, 'Chemical Analysis'.

This chemical analysis may pertain to his abortion case at that time; I'm not sure.

Wish I could find the analysis that revealed what ingredients Tumblety's 'cures' contained!

Best regards, Archaic
                          Attached Files

Comment

1888 Medical Ad

This advertisement is so funny I couldn't resist.

I found it in the same December 1888 edition of 'The Medical Standard' that the article in Post #4 came from,
                            the one that says Dr. T was arrested for complicity in the Whitechapel murders.

Please note the metal 'stirrups'... according to its writeup, this combination desk/operating table
                            is highly recommended for all Surgical and Gynecological procedures.

Talk about Yankee Ingenuity!

I wonder why Ikea never thought of this?

lol, Archaic
                            Attached Files

Comment

politics

Hello Archaic. Thanks. Please keep us posted on Tumblety's political stuff.

The best.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X