1861 Tumblety 'Related To A Bug' Funny Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Tumblety 'Related To A Bug' Funny Article

This gem was published by the editors of a New York journal called the Knickerbocker in 1861.

They are discussing the relationship between Humbugs, Bugs, and Dr T.; the editors clearly had a lot of fun with this article.

The bug whose activity they describe is the Dung Beetle, an insect that forms its own dung into a ball and then busily rolls it along.

Best regards, Archaic
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    The bug whose activity they describe is the Dung Beetle, an insect that forms its own dung into a ball and then busily rolls it along.
    Hmmm, dung beetles... scarabs. An allusion to Ancient Egyptian iconography, perhaps?

"I'm down on Horus..."

"Kheper this letter back till I do a bit more work..."

"From Heliopolis"
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

humbug

Hello Archaic. Nice find! I like the humbug aspect vis-a-vis Tumblety.

The best.
      LC

Comment

uraeus

Hello Sam. Thanks for making no puns on "uraeus." (But DO consider the possibilities. snicker!)

The best.
        LC

Comment

Oh, drat you Sam Flynn; I wish I had thought of those!!!

LOL

I love Egyptology & have a collection of antique Scarab jewelry. In fact, I'm wearing an antique Azurite Scarab ring right now.

I think the Dung Beetle allusion is less a direct reference to Egyptology than it is to the very bizarre
          'insectual' phenomena that looks for all the world like pointless bustle & almost self-worship: that of rolling your own dung along as you go!
          It's awfully funny. A bit Mark Twain-ish, in fact.

I keep wondering if Tumblety ever read these mocking articles, and how he soothed his bruised ego afterward?

Hmmm; if Tumblety read this one I bet his ego came to the rescue and he suddenly saw himself as
          the Great Khepera who single-handedly (8 leggedly?) moves the life-giving Sun across the Sky.

Cheers, Archaic

Comment

1861 Article Mocking Dr. Tumblety

Here's another poke at Dr. Tumblety by the Knickerbocker's editors; July 1861.

Best regards, Archaic
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X