Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Patterson View Post

Doctors. 3.
    Comas, September 27. Luke the Evangelist, October 18. Pantaleon, July 27.

Butchers. 2
    George, April 23 & May 6. Peter the Apostle, June 29.

Since October 18th is for Luke who is patron of butchers and doctors etc., and nothing happened on that that date, then the pattern is not such a pattern anymore.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Patterson View Post
      I think when you use a knife to kill or cut into people, you might rightly expect the police to suspect occupations who carried knives and knew anatomy. Thompson, although himself a failed doctor and soldier, at the time of the murders looked like neither. I can not imagine why a murderer would leave clues in the hope it'd get spotted. That would be the opposite of clever.
      Did he also used to be a midwife? He doesn't mention them in the comment you quoted. And the 'Jill the Ripper' theory wasn't really explored, as far as I know, until the 1930's. I don't know how he could have known about Abberline's conversation with his mentor. And it was the mentor who raised the idea of 'midwife' - IF it was a woman, *which he doubted*.

So no, I don't "police" suspected midwives. And I don't think it's at all a natural choice to make for someone capable of these crimes. I think it's a ridiculous stretch.

While sailors -- an *actual* heavy-contender suspect pool, men who wield knives by way of occupation, were highly superstitious and extremely distrustful of hospitals (as per reports from 1838) and a number of whom are therefore likely to have a basic knowledge of the body in case some serious accident happened at sea, and are FAR more likely a subset to contain a mutilating killer -- are completely ignored.

Not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Julius Caesar was not a Roman emperor.
        Sorry. I was wrong. - general, statesman, Consul, and notable author of Latin prose.
        Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
          Since October 18th is for Luke who is patron of butchers and doctors etc., and nothing happened on that that date, then the pattern is not such a pattern anymore.
          What is before or after a pattern does not not a pattern make.
          Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
            Did he also used to be a midwife? He doesn't mention them in the comment you quoted. And the 'Jill the Ripper' theory wasn't really explored, as far as I know, until the 1930's. I don't know how he could have known about Abberline's conversation with his mentor. And it was the mentor who raised the idea of 'midwife' - IF it was a woman, *which he doubted*.

So no, I don't "police" suspected midwives. And I don't think it's at all a natural choice to make for someone capable of these crimes. I think it's a ridiculous stretch.

While sailors -- an *actual* heavy-contender suspect pool, men who wield knives by way of occupation, were highly superstitious and extremely distrustful of hospitals (as per reports from 1838) and a number of whom are therefore likely to have a basic knowledge of the body in case some serious accident happened at sea, and are FAR more likely a subset to contain a mutilating killer -- are completely ignored.

Not buying it.
            Lo and behold we even have a sailor suspect who carried a long knife and used it to kill a woman in ripper like fashion

Comment

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post

Not buying it.
              Abortion in 1888 was highly illegal, but so was murder and that didn’t stop the Ripper. Historical records show that although prohibited by law and also by the Catholic Church, abortions took place. These hidden, though sometimes necessary, practice in the 19th century of abortions were mostly carried out by midwives. This profession had been known to carry out this operation in secret for centuries. While you will not find midwives openly suspected, abortionists were, and most people, including the police knew that in the back streets of Whitechapel often the midwife & abortionist was one in the same. You might never buy it - it's priceless.

As to a sailor having basic knowledge of the body if a serious accident happened at sea - necessity does not always account for skill, since an obvious serious accident on a ship would a 'man overboard' and most sailors did not know how to swim.
              Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Hakeswill View Post
                Here's my $0.02 worth.

A lot of assumptions are implicit in a statistically based argument. The high level of 'improbability' of the event being random for example contains assumptions.

Hypothesis: the killer chose specific dates relating to Saint's days associated with Butchers/Doctors

Null hypothesis: the dates were coincidental with these dates

So what assumptions must be made for the hypothesis, and how likely are they? It assumes killer could have potentially chosen any days in the year, or in fact any year since the Saints days would fall on different days in other years. I feel that the fact that the murders occurred on weekends or Bank Holidays to be a convincing argument that the killer was employed during weekdays. If so, does this mean he had to wait until the Saints day's conveniently fell on the times when he would be off work?
                What if we use the assumption (not unreasonable) that some event was the catalyst for the murders (I'm thinking along the lines of stressful events that are often mooted as being the tipping point for such crimes). This would further pin the killer down to a certain time period, so for the C5 (we could put Martha Tabram in here too since the timing is so close), we're looking at a time period running from 7/8/88 to 9/11/88, or a total period of 93 days to everything in, assuming that he wanted to complete the task all in one year. Suddenly four Saint's days appearing in one 93 day block starts to look a bit closer to being randomly possible, particularly if you take out Mondays-Thursdays if the killer couldn't operate on those days for whatever reason.
                But if the days were relevant, could the killer have chosen a different year? In 1885 31 aug, 8th and 30th Sep fell on weekends, so that would have worked too. If he'd waited until 1894 he could have got a similar pattern. The hypothesis would have us accept that these days were significant to the killer but we also have to build in when the killer was 'free' to commit the crimes. If he had no particular timing constraint e.g. a job then it makes the hypothesis slightly more plausible. If the timings of the killings are influenced more by other factors such as availability, psychologically inciting events and also of course whatever brought the killings to an end then the apparent unlikelihood of the events being explained by specific Saint's days recedes.
                There is a problem with using such probabilistic approaches, namely that the events were all rare. There aren't that many killers running around (thankfully) to see if there are enough to fit patterns, and to start assigning probabilities to an event occurring. Consider two cases that are often compared with JTR - Cummins and Napper. What are the chances that causally unrelated cases would occur within a few miles of each other rather than being randomly distributed around the whole of the country? The answer most likely to do with related to a function of the large metropolitan build of London, but you could make a probabilistic argument that since all cases occurred within the areas most densely populated with churches their must be some theological basis for the crimes. I don't feel that would be a reasonable claim.
                To sum up, to look at probabilities you must also consider how likely or unlikely other scenarios are, and demonstrate (not easy) that a claim is more likely than other possible scenarios, or at least more than could be explained by other possibilities. I remain unconvinced by your suggestion but absolutely open to changing my mind.

Keep going and good luck.
                Thanks for all that. When looking for a suspect to match the astronomical odds I have given, we should therefore be seeking someone not restricted by the time constraints met by an employed person, like Francis Thompson.
                Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                  Even if you are correct, and the dates were selected by their association with saints, there would still be no proof that he was a religious fanatic. It could just as easily be a pissed off agnostic sending a message. Or a twisted joke. Patterns happen all the time, purposefully or accidentally. But just because a pattern exists doesn't mean there is only one explanation for that pattern. And just because it's a popular theory doesn't make it a right one. Any theory that the killer was a zealot is not going to come from the dates of the murders. It's going to come from the murders themselves.
                  You could be right in saying the killer could have been an outraged agnostic or a prankster, but it is reasonable to first suspect an agnostic choosing just any religion to antagonize or a joker also plucking a religious doctrine out of a hat? No of course it is reasonable to first assume the killer was a Catholic who saw more significance in following these dates. Once we discount Catholic suspects with deep knowledge of saint's, then we can look for your agnostics or pranksters or whatever.
                  Author of

Comment

third man theme

Hello Richard. Don't forget member of the first triumvirate.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Richard. Don't forget member of the first triumvirate.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Et tu, lynn.
                      Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                        Your premise is that the subject of some patrons has been preselected by a religiously motivated person for the times he will murder but there is a subject date where nothing happened so the preselected pattern wasn't followed at all.

Also it isn't a 1:1 ratio for saint/subject. There are often many subjects attributed to each saint.
                        Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

There's only a .000000000003 percent chance that anyone will take anything said on this theory seriously.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Here's a list of saints for the first 12 days of August:

St. Hope
                            St. Sofia
                            St. Alphonsus
                            St. Charity
                            St. Peter in Chains
                            St. Almedha
                            St. Alphonsus Marie Liguori
                            St. Arcadius
                            St. Verus
                            Bl. Thomas Welbourne
                            St. Secundel
                            St. Dominic Van Honh Dieu
                            St. Eluned
                            St. Ethelwold of Winchester
                            St. Exuperius of Bayeux
                            St. Friard
                            St. Jonatus
                            St. Justin
                            St. Leontius
                            St. Leus
                            St. Rioch
                            St. Mary the Consoler
                            St. Peregrinus
                            Bl. Martyrs of Nowogrodek

August

St. Eusebius of Vercelli
                            St. Peter Julian Eymard
                            St. Alfreda
                            St. Betharius
                            St. Boetharius
                            St. Theodota
                            St. Thomas of Dover
                            St. Rutilius
                            St. Maximus of Padua
                            St. Peter of Osma
                            St. Plegmund

August

St. Lydia Purpuraria
                            St. Abibas
                            St. Aspren
                            St. Waltheof of Melrose
                            St. Trea
                            St. Senach
                            St. Dalmatius of Constantinople
                            St. Euphronius
                            St. Gamaliel
                            St. Faustus
                            St. Peter of Anagni

August

St. John Vianney
                            St. Agabius
                            St. Aristarchus
                            Bl. William Horne
                            St. Tertullinus
                            St. Eleutherius
                            St. Epimachus
                            St. Euphronius
                            St. John Baptist Vianney
                            St. Lua
                            St. Raynerius of Spalatro
                            St. Peregrinus, Maceratus, and Viventius
                            Bl. Frederick Jansoone

August

St. Abel
                            St. Addal
                            St. Afra
                            St. Venantius
                            St. Theodoric
                            St. Cantidius
                            St. Cassian of Autun
                            St. Emygdius
                            St. Eusignius
                            St. Gormcal
                            St. Nouna
                            St. Memmius
                            St. Paris
                            St. Eusignius

August

St. Agapitus
                            St. Hormisdas Pope
                            St. James the Syrian
                            Martyrs of Cardena

August

St. Cajetan
                            St. Cajetan
                            St. Claudia
                            St. Agathangelo Noury
                            St. Albert of Trapani
                            St. Victricius
                            St. Secundus
                            St. Carpophorus
                            St. Donat
                            St. Donatian
                            St. Donatus & Hilarinus
                            St. Donatus of Besancon
                            St. Faustus of Milan
                            St. Hyperechios
                            St. Peter, Julian, and Companions
                            St. Acirianus
                            St. Basicicus of Kemet (Egypt)
                            Bl. Edmund Bojanowski

August

St. Dominic
                            St. Hormisdas
                            St. Altman
                            St. Ternatius
                            St. Eleutherius & Leonides
                            St. Ellidius
                            St. Emilian
                            St. Gedeon
                            St. Famianw
                            Bl. John Felton
                            St. Leobald
                            St. Marinus
                            St. Mary MacKillop
                            St. Mummolus
                            St. Myron
                            St. Mary of the Cross MacKillop

August

St. Edith Stein
                            St. Nathy
                            St. Amedeus
                            St. Amor
                            St. Autor
                            St. Bandaridus
                            St. Samuel of Edessa
                            St. Secundian
                            St. Serenus
                            St. Candida Maria of Jesus
                            St. Domitian of Chalons
                            St. Firmus & Rusticus
                            St. Julian
                            St. Romanus Ostiarius
                            St. Rusticus
                            St. Numidicus
                            St. Maurilius
                            St. Phelim

August

St. Laurentinus
                            St. Lawrence - Martyr
                            St. Blane
                            St. Agilberta
                            St. Aredius
                            St. Asteria
                            St. Thiento & Companions
                            St. Deusdedit of Canterbury
                            St. Acrates (Aragawi)
                            St. James of Manug

August

St. Philomena
                            St. Clare
                            St. Susanna
                            St. Lelia
                            St. Alexander of Comana
                            St. Attracta
                            St. Taurinus
                            St. Tiburtius
                            St. Chromatius
                            St. Digna
                            St. Equitius
                            St. Francis of St. Mary
                            St. Gagericus
                            Bl. Lawrence Nerucci
                            St. Rufinus

August

St. Jane Frances de Chantal
                            St. Euplius
                            St. Anicetus
                            St. Anthony Peter Dich
                            St. Just
                            St. Cassian of Benevento
                            St. Eusebius of Milan
                            St. Hilaria
                            St. Jambert
                            St. James Nam
                            St. Just
                            St. Macarius & Julian
                            St. Merewenna
                            St. Michael My
                            St. Murtagh
                            St. Porcarius
                            Bl. Karl Leisner
                            Bl. Isidore Bakanja

What this proves is that not only is the post correct with regards to the JTR victims being killed on saints' days, but it also proves that anyone ever murdered anywhere in the world must have been done so for religious reasons. Great work! Oh, and I didn't list Orthodox saints.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

As Richard's list has both Orthodox and Catholic saints, it's a big ole load of hooey. Someone who was a religious "fanatic" wouldn't pick his "saint day" from the wrong religion and randomly stick in an Orthodox like Theodor if he were a Catholic fanatic, and he wouldn't pick the majority of Saint Days on the Catholic spectrum if he were an Orthodox fanatic.

Just idiotic. Because religious fanatics... they are obsessed with their saints, unless they need to kill someone really bad so they'll just adopt another religion's saint for the purpose.
                              Last edited by Ally; 02-23-2015, 04:54 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

When the saints go marching in I don't want to be in that number - I'd get trampled underfoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X