An intriguing historical rumour...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An intriguing historical rumour...

It's not often you'll find tid-bits which independently seem to indepently verify or hint at aspects of the Royal Conspiracy. As I'm in a sharing mood...

The Spitalfield's Life blog chronicles the recollection of local lad, Aubrey Goldsmith - https://spitalfieldslife.com/2011/05...of-shoreditch/

Which includes this memory:

Lowering his voice, Aubrey will then tell that you his father Samuel, one of the first pupils at Rochelle School in 1902, used to line up with the other neighbourhood boys to watch Prince Edward arrive at the Blue Anchor, a notorious boxing booth and brothel at the corner of Chance St – where the prince had a weekly appointment with a whore who gave him VD, that he passed on to Princess Alexandra.
    This is obviously Prince Edward, shortly to be King Edward VII in August 1902. Interestingly though, this Blue Anchor is the very same pub where Steven McCarthy, John McCarthy's son, may have given a recital on his 14th birthday. And this is Bill Richardson's Blue Anchor (later Tom Symonds) where boxing was a regular feature and various boxers connected to John McCarthy, including Ching Hook and Black Jack Stevens regularly appeared.

This is the only source I've yet seen which claims that in addition boxing, sex work was an attraction. I was struck by the link to John McCarthy and the supposed link to Royal Infidelity. It's just a bit of gossip though.

Interesting stuff Sean. Thanks for posting it. That’s a brilliant website. I haven’t had a look for ages.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
    X