Denial, Desperation and Dishonesty - Defending Stephen Knight’s Nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Question Three > You claimed it asa fact that Gull was interviewed by Abberline over The Whitechapel Murders. I asked where you got that information from. You repeatedly ignored the question. Feel free to answer it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPYxcJLSiFg

2.37.35 mark

ROFL.

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• ...... and 36.22 mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
        ...... and 36.22 mark.
        So it was true after all

Cheers Dave
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Best parts of that mini series were Lewis Collins imitations of Michael Palin staring into space soapie style.

Comment

• There is so much Fiction in the Ripper case and I feel that is what this site is for- to weed it out and stick to the facts as much as possible. Yes there will be hundreds of theories, but I suppose like, "who was Jack the Ripper?", those theories can stand, until absolutely proven that they don't stand up. I for one do not mind putting things forward for discussion and if I am wrong, then so be it, I cross it off. Perhaps there should be a new section that lists books and people who are no longer valid, or should be considered part of the Ripper Story. Busy Beaver

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
              Best parts of that mini series were Lewis Collins imitations of Michael Palin staring into space soapie style.
              God! Someone earlier suggested a Ripper musical, but that's been done with Sweeney Todd, what would be really great is a Monty Python Ripper. The boys would love playing the victims, Idle as Polly and Annie, Cleese as Long Liz and Mary Kelly, Jones as Kate and Martha, and Palin as Abberline.

Just think of the jokes they could hang on a removed uterus.

And with Terry Gilliam visually recreating Whitechapel, it would be a visual master piece.

Comment

• Originally posted by APerno View Post

God! Someone earlier suggested a Ripper musical, but that's been done with Sweeney Todd, what would be really great is a Monty Python Ripper. The boys would love playing the victims, Idle as Polly and Annie, Cleese as Long Liz and Mary Kelly, Jones as Kate and Martha, and Palin as Abberline.

And with Terry Gilliam visually recreating Whitechapel, it would be a visual master piece.
                How about this one?

Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

How about this one?

https://ibb.co/XjJ5cq9
                  "Scenes of fun, terror, song & dance" You gotta love it, a must see! (Has anyone on this board actually seen this?)

The director's name even sounds like a Python character: Reginald Wooley -- but I suspect the Pythons would have named him Sir Reginald.

Comment

"Scenes of fun, terror, song & dance" You gotta love it, a must see! (Has anyone on this board actually seen this?)

The director's name even sounds like a Python character: Reginald Wooley -- but I suspect the Pythons would have named him Sir Reginald.
                    I can’t even recall listening to this but I did at some point. It first opened at London’s Players’ Theatre on June 24th 1974. It was recorded in 1975 though but not released at the time. 1975 was the last time it played in the West End though but over the years it played at various theatre’s including ones in The States and Sweden.

The Daily Express called it
                    .....A lively musical exhilarating, melodious, delightfully comic. Directed with zest the occasion is a musical treat.

The Daily Mirror......Lively melodic - Very amusing bawdy knees up - verve and wit and above all a good musical score.

The Sun...Super Jack is a roaring hit. This fast fun musical is the best to hit town in many a season. Rip, Rip hooray for Jack The Ripper.
                    Hard to see these reviews happening today.

Songs include - What A Life/ Ripper’s Going To Get You/ Half A Dozen Pints/ Suspects/ Policeman’s Chorus.

None Of The actors are familiar names to me but the roles certainly are - Tabram to Coles but no Mackenzie. Queen Victoria played by the same actress that played Stride. The bare knuckle boxer Daniel Mendoza makes an appearance alongside colourful sounding names like - Dinky Nine-Eights, Bluenose Stack, Slop Wallace, Lord Overcoat and someone called Montague Druitt.

I might give it a listen later on.

I found one song from it here. Not the original cast though.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but surely this is a bridge too far.

What next, a musical about the Moors Murderers?

Bearing in mind the criticisms of misogyny recently made by Hallie Rubenhold, maybe we should be a wee bit more circumspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but surely this is a bridge too far.

What next, a musical about the Moors Murderers?

Bearing in mind the criticisms of misogyny recently made by Hallie Rubenhold, maybe we should be a wee bit more circumspect.
                        Yes true! I was recently watching some old Python and realized that much of their humor would be considered unacceptable today.

But then again we are talking about a group of men who after the success of their film Holy Grail could have had any producer in the western world back them, so what do they do, they go ahead and write a parody of Jesus Christ, and then couldn't understand why everyone of their producers ran away.

In short, challenging norms is what Python did, (even when it went against their own best interest,) and I am a fan of that. Sorry if I offend, I will ease up.

Comment

Yes true! I was recently watching some old Python and realized that much of their humor would be considered unacceptable today.

But then again we are talking about a group of men who after the success of their film Holy Grail could have had any producer in the western world back them, so what do they do, they go ahead and write a parody of Jesus Christ, and then couldn't understand why everyone of their producers ran away.

In short, challenging norms is what Python did, (even when it went against their own best interest,) and I am a fan of that. Sorry if I offend, I will ease up.
                          No apology required APerno, it's all too easy on these boards to take an idea for a walk, I'm fond of doing that myself.

The Python illustration is a valid one, the Python's themselves were quick to point out that there was in fact a minor character in The Life Of Brian who received very little attention, certainly far less than the main character Brian.

The minor character, who only had a walk on part, was Jesus.

Comment

I can’t even recall listening to this but I did at some point. It first opened at London’s Players’ Theatre on June 24th 1974. It was recorded in 1975 though but not released at the time. 1975 was the last time it played in the West End though but over the years it played at various theatre’s including ones in The States and Sweden.

The Daily Express called it
                            .....A lively musical exhilarating, melodious, delightfully comic. Directed with zest the occasion is a musical treat.

The Daily Mirror......Lively melodic - Very amusing bawdy knees up - verve and wit and above all a good musical score.

The Sun...Super Jack is a roaring hit. This fast fun musical is the best to hit town in many a season. Rip, Rip hooray for Jack The Ripper.
                            Hard to see these reviews happening today.

Songs include - What A Life/ Ripper’s Going To Get You/ Half A Dozen Pints/ Suspects/ Policeman’s Chorus.

None Of The actors are familiar names to me but the roles certainly are - Tabram to Coles but no Mackenzie. Queen Victoria played by the same actress that played Stride. The bare knuckle boxer Daniel Mendoza makes an appearance alongside colourful sounding names like - Dinky Nine-Eights, Bluenose Stack, Slop Wallace, Lord Overcoat and someone called Montague Druitt.

I might give it a listen later on.

I found one song from it here. Not the original cast though.

https://youtu.be/jE1nsqd93VI
                            Interesting! I would like to say great, but I really couldn't appreciate it, because my American ear couldn't understand the lyrics. Good costumes, and the girls looked great, but weak (absent) scenery, looked low budget.

Comment

Working...
                            X