The reputation of Sir William Withey Gull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

Are you inferring that I made it all up?
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      Yes.

Are you inferring that I made it all up?
      If you have a source for these claims, feel free to share it.
      "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Gladstone's letter was to The Sporting Times,13 October 1888.

I know the publication that reported the meeting of The Royal Society that included WEG and WWG,however have not been able to relocate it.
        The internet changes over 11 years.

Incidentally,you have not had the manners to reply to FISHY1118's request for your information concerning Sickert being on holiday in France.
        Quid pro quo!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

The police never interviewed William Gull about the Ripper murders.
          A point that tends to get glossed over. When a story relies on the words of a ‘clairvoyant’ and a forged diary it’s a bit difficult to treat it seriously.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Incidentally,you have not had the manners to reply to FISHY1118's request for your information concerning Sickert being on holiday in France.
            Quid pro quo!
            I linked my source in the post that Fishy replied to, so there was no reason to link it a second time. It is not my fault if Fishy did not read the linked source I had already given or if he chose not to believe it.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Gladstone's letter was to The Sporting Times,13 October 1888.
              Thank you. That was enough information to find a copy of the letter. It does show that shows that Gladstone did believe the Ripper was collecting organs to advance medical science, which Gladstone felt was "extenuating circumstances", but he still considered the murders to be "horrible and wicked". There is no indication that Gladsotne's letter was influenced by Gull. Gladstone was also in Opposition in 1888, and so wildly unlikely to have been brought in by any government conspiracy/

I know the publication that reported the meeting of The Royal Society that included WEG and WWG,however have not been able to relocate it.
              The internet changes over 11 years.
              From what I have found, the annual meeting of the Royal Society was in June that year, though surely they had other meetings. The fact that both Gull and Galdstone attended the same meeting is evidence of nothing, the Society had hundreds of members.

Comment

I've not suggested a government conspiracy.
                Certainly not involving Gull and/or Gladstone.
                Gull obviously knew what was going on.

I have never been an advocate of the Royal Conspiracy/PAV/Sickert nonsense.
                The Michael Caine telemovie really annoys me.From Hell almost as much.

I do believe Matthews and Abberline were conspiring to ensure Jack the Ripper/Sutton was not caught.
                Very much like the Cleveland Street scandal.

Comment

I linked my source in the post that Fishy replied to, so there was no reason to link it a second time. It is not my fault if Fishy did not read the linked source I had already given or if he chose not to believe it.
                  Where is that link ?
                  'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
                    Correct, it was Stowells claim that Lady Gull was there and she was questioned by police inspector .

Lets not dismiss Stowells importance here , look at his relationship he had with Catherine Gull and Dyke Ackland , he was an executor of his will , they were very close . No motive for him to make up a story like that way way back in the 1920s when the word ''conspiracy'' probably wasn't even in the dictionary.
                    You are correct as well. Why would Stowell attribute a story that was making the rounds to someone he personally knew? Did he create a false memory? All we're talking about is a simple police visit that included a medium. In the end, even if it wasn't the wife or the daughter, it was a close associate of the daughter and a physician himself who started the ball rolling. He wrote an apology letter but I don't think anyone else needs to. Sensibilities aside which interfere with the investigatory process, I might give up Trapperology and try Ripperology.

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

Where is that link ?
                      It's in red.
                      Most here would not recognize it as a link.
                      Links to some vague idea that Sickert might have been in France for part of September.
                      Given there were no murders from 9 to 29 September .....

Comment

Gull obviously knew what was going on.
                        Not a shred of evidence for this of course and yet it’s stated as a fact.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Not a shred of evidence for this of course and yet it’s stated as a fact.
                          of course Gull was involved. haven't you ever seen the documentary From Hell? ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

of course Gull was involved. haven't you ever seen the documentary From Hell? ; )
                            Damn! I forgot about that one Abby. And the Michael Caine series.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It's in red.
                              Most here would not recognize it as a link.
                              So most people here don't know how to use the link button in replies? It's one of the first things I learn on any new forum, because without sources we're just discussing opinions, not evidence.

Comment

Did not know.

Obviously not the only one here.

Two other forums that I rarely post on do not usually employ it.

Mainly cut and paste or just use the https.

Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X