No announcement yet.

Stephenson and family Chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was busy looking at the Stephenson family during the 1860's and noticed that they were involved in local voluntary organisations.

I did find some info several months ago and some letters showing their involvement, but on there own they didn't really help and I was under the impression they were part of something much bigger.

As I carried out my research online yesterday, I discovered the collection was split and the second half of the collection is being held locally.

The collection is, however under lock and key, and the archivist responsible is away until wednsday (today being tuesday!!)

I did make an appointment but have been told I might not get to see the files until Saturday!!

Either way, it could provide more info into the families efforts with voluntary organisations!!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Whilst visiting an old antiques store today I came across this wonderful colour postcard of the Old Town Hall, Hull.
      This was replaced by the current Town Hall.
      Richard Stephenson junior would have sat here during his stint as a Councillor, and in later years he was brought before the police court for several crimes he was involved in.
      Attached Files
      Regards Mike

Comment

Part 1/2 of map showing wooden bridge over Barmston Drain. Is this the bridge that inspired Stephenson when writing "Dead or Alive"?
        Attached Files
        Regards Mike

Comment

Part 2/2 following the wonderfully named Cotton Mill Street (Now Barmston Street) we come out near the rear of Willows House. It's roughly about 1,000 ft distance from the drain to the house.
          Attached Files
          Regards Mike

Comment

Barmston Drain Bridge as it appears now, this structure is late Victorian and not the structure that was here when RDS lived locally. It is on the same spot though.

This picture is looking South towards the River Hull, several mills can be seen by the tree line, one of which is still in working order, albeit slightly more modern than it's neighbour.
            Attached Files
            Regards Mike

Comment

Another shot looking from the same direction with a better view of the drain and the mills in the distance. This is also in the same direction of the High Flags!
              Attached Files
              Regards Mike

Comment

Some shots of the bridge over the drain from along the banks of the drain.
                Attached Files
                Regards Mike

Comment

Finally on this topic, this is the shot from the bridge along Cotton Mill Street (Barmston street) towards York Street, were the rear of Willow House looked out onto.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Here is an 1889 map of Hull showing St Silas Church off St Silas and Barmston street. The church was the location of Richard Stephenson Junior's first run in with the law!!
                    Attached Files
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• All good things must come to an end, this is the spot today!
                      Attached Files
                      Regards Mike

Comment

• St Silas Church, Interior shot!!
                        Attached Files
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• Rare drawing of St Silas Church from Barmston Street. The Church was designed by Samuel Musgrave and built in 1871.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards Mike

Comment

• Previously unseen pictures of Charles Street

Yes, thats right, never before seen pictures of Charles Street have indeed surfaced showing the street when it was a thriving metropolis with shops, houses and pubs. I was shown these earlier today and I am communictaing with owners to be able to post them on this thread. Watch this space!!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Charles Street showing Clarence pub, dated 1930.
                              Courtesy of my good friend Stewart.
                              Attached Files
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• Spring Street, home to Richard Stephenson Snr for many years.
                                The photo is dated 1905 long after Mr Stephenson had moved to Arlington Street and passed away!
                                Attached Files
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X