Was Sickert 'Nemo'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Sickert 'Nemo'?

The word 'nemo' is Latin for 'no one'. It appears to have been a popular pen name for letter writers in Victorian days, particulary when writing to newspapers. There are a few Jack the Ripper related letters that are signed 'Nemo' as well as a few to newspapers.

In her book Patricia Cornwell points out that Walter Sickert's stage name was 'Mr. Nemo' and she is convinced that Ripper-related correspondence bearing that pseudonym is the work of Walter Sickert. This is discussed at length in her book and I should be interested to hear the views of others on this aspect.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Without a doubt, Stewart, Walter Sickert did indeed write letters under the pen name of 'Nemo', they are scattered through 'The Times'; but are always associated with the National Liberal cause, Mr. Gladstone, and the parlous situation in Norther Ireland. It appears that Sickert enjoyed a fond and useful relationship with the Liberals, and Mr Gladstone in particular, where he was able to sell his art to them.
    Personally I couldn't see a man like Sickert writing spoof letters as Jack the Ripper, or even Nemo, in any other connection but a political one.
    But hey what do I know?

Comment

Real simple, if the Nemo letters are in Sickert's handwriting, then we can attribute those to him and he's still not Jack the Ripper. If they're not in his handwriting then he didn't write them and he's still not Jack the Ripper. Writing Ripper letters was in itself a passtime for a couple of years. We know a ton were written, and therefore many people were 'Ripper writers'. We can even name a few with certainty. Why such a big fuss is being made over one man who at worst had some fun writing letters and at best had absolutely nothing to do with Ripper Mania doesn't make sense to me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Stewart,

One might as easily suggest that Jules Verne wrote the letters or (shudder) that he was Jack himself (now there's new suspect for someone with a febrile imagination to conjure with) because Captain Nemo features prominently in two of his novels, 20,000 Leagures Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island.

Of course, as you cogently point out, Nemo was a frequent pseudonym adopted by letter writers of the time; it being an age when anyone with any pretense to an education was quite conversant with at least the rudiments of Latin. Nor was Walter Sickert the only person in the LVP to appear in a playbill as Nemo. It was a convenient artifice for those wishing to be anonymous, much as Hollywood today uses "Alan Smithee" in place of a director's real name when that person no longer wishes to be associated with a film.

To me, the connection between Sickert and the Nemo of the Ripper letters is tenuous at best.

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Supe
          One might as easily suggest that Jules Verne wrote the letters or (shudder) that he was Jack himself
          I'll bet Jenni would beg out of co-authoring THAT project with you!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Due to Sickert's obvious obsession with Jack the Ripper I would be surprised if he hadn't written at least one faux Ripper letter, but if he did so under the pen name of "Nemo" I'd wonder why he didn't use the "Jack the Ripper" name, since it had already captured the popular imagination. But anything is possible.
            "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Tom,

I know, but I was hoping you'd be available.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                One might as easily suggest that Jules Verne wrote the letters or (shudder) that he was Jack himself (now there's new suspect for someone with a febrile imagination to conjure with) because Captain Nemo features prominently in two of his novels.
                James Mason played Nemo in Disney's version of 20,000 Leagues, and gives a guided tour of Ripper territory, as well as Sickert's favourite Bedford Theatre (Camden), in The London Nobody Knows. This documentary has recently been re-released on coupled with Les Bicyclettes de Belsize - and, since Belsize Park is just up the road from Camden Town, do you think James Mason is sending us a message beyond the grave? That's "James" and "Mason", by the way, in case you hadn't noticed.

I think we should be told
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                  Tom,

I know, but I was hoping you'd be available.

Don.

Count me in. We'll call it Sick Art.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

Count me in. We'll call it Sick Art.

Deal. But how about expanding the title to Sick Art: Draw Your Own Conclusions. And just as long as the byline is Nemo and Alan Smithee.

Don.

Comment

Sam,

Was that film "The London Nobody (or Nemo) Knows"? And that reference to bicyclettes, could it be a suggestion that Sickert, while ostensibly in France, was able to pedal back to London for the murders through some proto-Chunnel? Maybe you should join with me and Tom on this projected article.

And if anyone thinks we have hijacked a thread, I would think this sort of levity is what the notion that because Sikert was once listed as Nemo in a playbill means he wrote the Nemo Ripper letters deserves.

Don..

Comment

Get Colin Wilson to pen the foreword and I'm in. We'll call the movie A Fistula Full of Dollars.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          if the Nemo letters are in Sickert's handwriting, then we can attribute those to him
                          Another claim by the author was that Sickert could disguise his handwriting.

Paddy

Comment

I can claim that you could disguise your handwriting, but that doesn't prove it. She needs to produce a letter unquestionably from Sickert that's identical to the Ripper letters being compared. If she can't, she loses. If the pen don't fit you must acquit. As stated before, it's all mox nix since Sickert was not Jack the Ripper.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

'Nemo' Letter of 2 October 1888

Second page of 'Nemo' letter of 2 October 1888.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nemo146a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	653813
                              SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Working...
                              X