The Lodger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svensson View Post

In my younger (partying) days I used to walk from Camden to Angel Islington early on sunday mornings several times. The distance is not an issue if you are young and you have a purpose for the walk. This even more so in 1888 when people would be used to walking a lot more than we are in our cushy 21st century .

Also, Goulston Street is maybe only 5 minutes from Mitre Square so in the grand scheme of things (walking from the East End back to Camden), dropping a clue in the opposite direction is well worth the detour.
    Hi Svensson,

The distance isn't too far for someone to walk, particularly, as you say, to someone young and used to walking. Rather, it just seems awfully far for someone who has just committed a murder and probably has some blood on them to walk. Annie Chapman's murder in particular strikes me as the sun was up, certainly by the time he would have gotten back there. It seems incredible that nobody spotted him, or noticed any blood, either on his hands or cuffs, or dripping from the organs, etc. I suppose he could have put his hands in his pockets, or something, but it just seems a long time to be out in the open, in daylight, and not have someone notice. Perhaps not so bad for the nighttime murders, but Chapman's, in the dawn light, has always struck me as indicting JtR probably lived close to that area. But, that's not proven, of course.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
      I find this line of questioning interesting, its always nagged me that we had no proof that he ever drew attention to himself, even if he had people very close to him. Very few instances of families suggesting they had the Ripper in their midst. Not even a "this mate of mine might be Jack" to the police.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

There are very few instances of families suggesting one of their members was a serial killer, regardless of which serial killer we refer to, so I find nothing odd in no one doing that for the Ripper. There are plenty of cases of suspicious people being reported to the police as being the Ripper, but the police ended up discounting all of those accusations.
      "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

The "appropriately named Hewitt" is in reference to the paragraph just before the above in A-Z, which reads:

- Jeff
        Don’t know how I missed that one Jeff.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I know what you mean Tristan but it’s interesting that there was a veterinary student who ended his studies before the end of 1888 and did come from Bournemouth as the landlady said.
          Indeed it is. Apologies, I have become way too cynical over the years. It would be great for someone, with skills far greater than mind to take a look into this, even if it is ultimately, to eliminate another potential suspect.

Tristan
          Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

Indeed it is. Apologies, I have become way too cynical over the years. It would be great for someone, with skills far greater than mind to take a look into this, even if it is ultimately, to eliminate another potential suspect.

Tristan
            No problem Tristan. I tended to think that someone might have looked into it more already but no one has come forward yet. It might be worth me mentioning it over on JTRForums.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Hi Svensson,

The distance isn't too far for someone to walk, particularly, as you say, to someone young and used to walking. Rather, it just seems awfully far for someone who has just committed a murder and probably has some blood on them to walk. Annie Chapman's murder in particular strikes me as the sun was up, certainly by the time he would have gotten back there. It seems incredible that nobody spotted him, or noticed any blood, either on his hands or cuffs, or dripping from the organs, etc. I suppose he could have put his hands in his pockets, or something, but it just seems a long time to be out in the open, in daylight, and not have someone notice. Perhaps not so bad for the nighttime murders, but Chapman's, in the dawn light, has always struck me as indicting JtR probably lived close to that area. But, that's not proven, of course.

- Jeff
              Yes, I see.

In that case, let me quickly start a "Chapman wasn't a Ripper victim" thread. I'll be right back...

Comment

Working...
              X