Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
    So you did!

Okay, but Dane's 'Dane is ill' was still a cracker.

I'm off to Innerleithen now - yes, home to Jack's 'Brother in trade' letter - and it's about 300 miles away and it's raining. Just what you want!

Icon
    Where the heck is Innerleithen, I know Google Maps.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      Welcome to Casebook!

I'm of the same mind with regard to the authenticity or otherwise of the 'diary'. In fairness to Iconoclast though, it has to be pointed out that the admission of forgery was retracted at one point. No-one has ever come up with a convincing explanation of why Maybrick, if he wrote it, would do so in a scrap book with pages torn out of it. The only explanation of the use of a scrap book for this purpose which convinces me is that it was necessary to use something which could be dated to the late 1880's. The scrap book was the only item available to the writer from that time period (ergo the writer was someone other than Maybrick).
      Thanks very much Bridewell

I wasn't aware the statement was retracted, blimey I do need to get up to speed.

I agree regarding only available time accurate paper, although was it to be the real article, writing said diary in a tatty unassuming book would in effect lessen suspicion or even curiosity. Which in double form would ascertain that such a book would be thrown out as trash without being looked at upon the demise of the writer.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Where the heck is Innerleithen, I know Google Maps.
        Map multiple locations, get transit/walking/driving directions, view live traffic conditions, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery. Do more with Bing Maps.

Just South East of Peebles.

Hope that helps

Comment

• Originally posted by NeilG View Post
          http://binged.it/1DS3E5W

Just South East of Peebles.

Hope that helps
          I should have known... is that near BamBam.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I should have known... is that near BamBam.
            That's the one!!

Comment

• I'm just posting to let everyone know I survived the night though it was touch and go for a few moments.

I wish everyone success wherever they are headed today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                As I sit here in front of my lap-top I can see the line of Maybrick books on my shelves, and not one of them has convinced me that Maybrick penned the Diary, let alone was Jack the Ripper. Which is not to say that the 'Diary' is a modern production, as I don't believe it is, but whoever wrote it was not, as far as I am concerned, James Maybrick.

Graham
                Hear hear, Graham.

But just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, Ripper Diary, The Inside Story didn't actually set out to 'convince' its readers of either of those things.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Hear hear, Graham.

But just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, Ripper Diary, The Inside Story didn't actually set out to 'convince' its readers of either of those things.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Thanks for the untestimonial soliciting, Caz. I have to say that I did enjoy Feldman's book, but disagreed with him. I enjoyed your book too, but agreed with you!

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
                    I'm just posting to let everyone know I survived the night though it was touch and go for a few moments.

I wish everyone success wherever they are headed today.
                    Excellent news Dane.

It rained the entire day today - up to Scotland and back - but I got some Moffatt Toffee out of it and some Coldsfoot Rock. Not a bad return on 500 miles!
                    Iconoclast
                    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• As you may have noticed, Iconoclast, the one sure fire way to start an argument on Casebook is to launch a Maybrick Diary thread. It's good to see that you have a sense of humour and don't take negative comment as a personal attack.

(And a belated welcome to the boards btw!)
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Excellent news Dane.

It rained the entire day today - up to Scotland and back - but I got some Moffatt Toffee out of it and some Coldsfoot Rock. Not a bad return on 500 miles!
                        Time to continue my education...

What is Coldfoot Rock?

(A Sort of boiled lolly is my guess).
                        G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                          As you may have noticed, Iconoclast, the one sure fire way to start an argument on Casebook is to launch a Maybrick Diary thread. It's good to see that you have a sense of humour and don't take negative comment as a personal attack.

(And a belated welcome to the boards btw!)
                          That is very kind of you, Bridewell. Yes, I think you probably have to be ready for a little banter!
                          Iconoclast

Comment

Time to continue my education...

What is Coldfoot Rock?

(A Sort of boiled lolly is my guess).
                            It may be called Coltsfoot Rock - but either way it is a hard liquorice sweet which crumbles when you bite it and which is a bit like Marmite (you either love it or loathe it).
                            Iconoclast

Comment

It may be called Coltsfoot Rock - but either way it is a hard liquorice sweet which crumbles when you bite it and which is a bit like Marmite (you either love it or loathe it).
                              Is it a bit like Edinburgh Rock then?
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Now licorice I understand.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X