Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spider View Post
    Love the title of the poll ;-) The Dairy of Jack the Ripper

Why would any forger pick a suspect living 200 miles away from the crime scene?

Regards
    And so my question goes unanswered save for the usual comedy rhetoric because no-one has the answer.
    How very little casebook has changed in my absence

Regards
    ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I must be one of the few who believe in the 'diary' 100% all day long, or at least one of the even fewer that dare stand up and admit to it on this site, considering the amount of anticipated tirades faced in reply ;-)

The 'diary' was on poor footing from the start with it's dubious introduction, but putting this to one side my thoughts are, that the diary originated from Battlecrease House, making it's way to Ann Graham's family from her fathers step mother via a servant at Battlecrease.
      When Maybrick say's in the 'diary' he will "place this where it will be found", there is only one place it could logically have been put. Maybrick couldn't risk it being found whilst bedridden and so must have kept it with him, if he lived it was safe, if he died it didn't matter.
      The 'diary' was probably placed under the mattress. Had a family member found it, then it would have been destroyed. In all likelihood it would have been found by the lowliest servant of the house charged with changing the bed linen after Maybrick's death.

Regards
      So how did it get from under the mattress to where it was found?
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And so my question goes unanswered save for the usual comedy rhetoric because no-one has the answer.
        How very little casebook has changed in my absence

Regards
        Maybe because the forger had plenty of knowledge about maybrick.

Maybe to assist Mrs M if it was forged around the time of her trial.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Why would any forger pick a suspect living 200 miles away from the crime scene?
          A hoaxer might have, for a mischievous bit of fun.

1888 - the infamous murders in London

1889 - Maybrick's untimely (or timely?) death in Liverpool

The theme of the dairy is very much a Liverpool/London, north/south one, milking these two notorious cases for all they are worth. Possibly inspired by the cartoon Whitechapel at Whitehall, featuring Jack the Ripper on the left and Florie Maybrick on the right?

Love,

Caz
          X
          Last edited by caz; 02-05-2015, 06:56 AM.
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
            A hoaxer might have, for a mischievous bit of fun.

1888 - the infamous murders in London

1889 - Maybrick's untimely (or timely?) death in Liverpool

The theme of the dairy is very much a Liverpool/London, north/south one, milking these two notorious cases for all they are worth. Possibly inspired by the cartoon Whitechapel at Whitehall, featuring Jack the Ripper on the left and Florie Maybrick on the right?

Love,

Caz
            X
            Hello my dear,I think the diary is connected to Mrs Maybricks trial maybe a lame brain attempt to save her if she was found guilty or maybe it was going to be sold to a newspaper after she was hung who knows?
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• At first, I was in agreement with Spider that a modern hoaxer would be easier to find, but now I believe otherwise. If you think Michael was just a patsy, the hoaxer could be anyone with the books, the science, and a lot of luck, channelling Jim and Jack.

If it's an old hoax, it would be much easier to find the 'forger' because he'd likely be in the Maybrick circle, and involved somehow in the Ripper investigation or have access to the information that was not released until the 1980s (e.g. matchbox was made of tin).

Then again, I think most of the Modern Hoax theorists think he's already been found no matter what you say - Michael.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                So how did it get from under the mattress to where it was found?
                According to The Definitive Casebook, Anne Graham thinks the Diary was smuggled out of Battlecrease wrapped in the laundry and given to her father's grandmother, Elizabeth Formby, who ran a laundry and whom she believed was the local fence.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                  According to The Definitive Casebook, Anne Graham thinks the Diary was smuggled out of Battlecrease wrapped in the laundry and given to her father's grandmother, Elizabeth Formby, who ran a laundry and whom she believed was the local fence.
                  What so straight after he died?

And then what of the claims that it was found in Battlecrease by electircians, you know to me the whole thing might have more chance if there weren't so many different stores

The mattress just doesn't work for me.
                  G U T

Comment

What so straight after he died?

And then what of the claims that it was found in Battlecrease by electircians, you know to me the whole thing might have more chance if there weren't so many different stores

Absolutely right with all the lies told concerning the dear diary what ever we are told we will never believe it such a shame .I have no doubt though that the electricians drinking in Mr Barretts pub is the only thing that connects Mr Barrett to the diary.
                    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

You prefer floor boards?

Comment

• Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                        You prefer floor boards?
                        Well it's better for me.
                        G U T

Comment

• Why would any forger pick a suspect living 200 miles away from the crime scene?
                          Either the diary is a forgery (in which case the forger did pick a suspect living 200 miles away) or it isn't. This is ripperology, a world in which a theorist can speculate that Vincent Van Gogh committed these murders at a time when all the available evidence shows that he was in the South of France.

Maybrick fitted the "top-hatted toff" figure of the public's imagination and a contemporary forger (assuming, for the sake of argument, that such an individual existed) would have had the added benefit of knowing that his framed suspect was dead and therefore in no position to issue a denial.
                          Last edited by Bridewell; 02-06-2015, 04:38 PM.
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• I've still not seen a convincing explanation as to why a supposedly prosperous man like Maybrick didn't write his 1888 journal in either an 1888 diary or at least a previously unused contemporary document. Both would have been readily available and easily affordable. Acquiring either might, however, have presented almost insurmountable difficulties to a latter-day forger who would then have been compelled to abandon the attempt at deception or to choose a less convincing alternative from what was available to him/her at the time of writing.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                              I've still not seen a convincing explanation as to why a supposedly prosperous man like Maybrick didn't write his 1888 journal in either an 1888 diary or at least a previously unused contemporary document. Both would have been readily available and easily affordable. Acquiring either might, however, have presented almost insurmountable difficulties to a latter-day forger who would then have been compelled to abandon the attempt at deception or to choose a less convincing alternative from what was available to him/her at the time of writing.
                              A very simple basic fact about the diary that is always forgotten about a man like Maybrick would have used a proper diary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                I've still not seen a convincing explanation as to why a supposedly prosperous man like Maybrick didn't write his 1888 journal in either an 1888 diary or at least a previously unused contemporary document. Both would have been readily available and easily affordable. Acquiring either might, however, have presented almost insurmountable difficulties to a latter-day forger who would then have been compelled to abandon the attempt at deception or to choose a less convincing alternative from what was available to him/her at the time of writing.
                                Not on solitary thing to explain why he had to rip the first few pages out either.

I have at times used old books to make notes when I am in a hurry and can't find anything better, but I don't then rip the other pages out to me that is the biggest pointer that something is "fishy".
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X