New Book: The Maybrick Murder and the Diary of Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post
    I found a dog lying under Kelly's window!

Do we know if Maybrick was fond of dogs?!

From the Maybrick A to Z:

Tinne, Earnest ... allegedly had two of his dogs poisoned by James Maybrick because their barking annoyed him...

So here we have it gentlemen, JM was known to be a dog killer, and we have clear 2 dogs drawings on the walls of Kelly's room, I mean what do you want more than this a proof, it is as obvious as the sun in the sky.

TB​

Comment

From the Maybrick A to Z:
      Tinne, Earnest ... allegedly had two of his dogs poisoned by James Maybrick because their barking annoyed him...
      So here we have it gentlemen, JM was known to be a dog killer, and we have clear 2 dogs drawings on the walls of Kelly's room, I mean what do you want more than this a proof, it is as obvious as the sun in the sky.
      TB​
      Brilliant - this definitely cracks it in my favour! "At last!" I hear you all gasp!

But, just to clarify, where is the James Maybrick document in which he makes reference to his having drawn dogs in Mary Kelly's room or on her walls (inside or out)?

That bit's a wee bit crucial, wouldn't you say? Otherwise, the random, desperate, facile identification of an amorphous canine here and an amorphous canine there could not lead to the whoring mother nor her whoring husband, now, could it?
      Iconoclast
      Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

Hi Baron,

I suspect Maybrick poisoned dogs just for jolly. He'd have shot yours if he'd been there and seen it.

And Liz Prater's kitten would have been silenced with the 'Poison for Cats' found in Battlecrease among Florie Maybrick's effects, despite the fact that she adored kitties and died surrounded by her furry friends.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• VOTED BOOK OF THE YEAR!
          THE MAYBRICK MURDER AND THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE END GAME
          By Christopher J.M. Jones and Dr Daniel L. Dolgin

We're excited that The Maybrick Murder and the Diary of Jack the Ripper has been voted Book of the Year by the influential Facebook group 'Ripperology Books and More', whose 1,300 members read and discuss hundreds of books on the Whitechapel murders and related history.

It's a fantastic seal of approval on what is the seminal account of two of the greatest mysteries in the annals of crime.​

Available in softcover, A4 374 full colour pages.

zz0.vgm85j15mgrzz

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post

VOTED BOOK OF THE YEAR!
            THE MAYBRICK MURDER AND THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE END GAME
            By Christopher J.M. Jones and Dr Daniel L. Dolgin

We're excited that The Maybrick Murder and the Diary of Jack the Ripper has been voted Book of the Year by the influential Facebook group 'Ripperology Books and More', whose 1,300 members read and discuss hundreds of books on the Whitechapel murders and related history.

It's a fantastic seal of approval on what is the seminal account of two of the greatest mysteries in the annals of crime.​

Available in softcover, A4 374 full colour pages.

www.FlorenceMaybrick.com

zz0.vgm85j15mgrzz
            Getting your JtR themed book voted book of the year by a JtR themed Facebook book group is kind of like having your fishing book voted fishing book of the year by the Anglers Association Facebook book group.

Saying that, with the sheer volume of ridiculous JtR books being crapped out every other week by every other Tom, Dick and Harry, that probably is some kind of feat.
            Last edited by Mike J. G.; 02-27-2023, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Looks more like a kangaroo to me tbh.

Comment

It cannot be a coincidence then, now we have established the existence of two dogs!!!

We know that Aaron kosminski had been charged for walking an unmuzzled dog!

I say this is a case closed now , this is a definitive proof of his guilt.

TB
                A shaggy dog story if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post

Getting your JtR themed book voted book of the year by a JtR themed Facebook book group is kind of like having your fishing book voted fishing book of the year by the Anglers Association Facebook book group.

Saying that, with the sheer volume of ridiculous JtR books being crapped out every other week by every other Tom, Dick and Harry, that probably is some kind of feat.
                  I'm quite surprised by this post, as I thought Mike J. G. would have cheered his head off to see this particular title being voted 'book of the year'. Instead, his tone sounds a bit derogatory.

Has our Mike changed his football scarf, or has he not even bothered to work out the nature of THE END GAME?

This was not the end, in case Mike was wondering. It was not even the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning.

And of course, there was no MAYBRICK MURDER on Riversdale Road either. I think the authors got that bit right, despite what the title might suggest.

You can't 'murder' cats and dogs.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Last edited by caz; 03-08-2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

I'm quite surprised by this post, as I thought Mike J. G. would have cheered his head off to see this particular title being voted 'book of the year'. Instead, his tone sounds a bit derogatory.

Has our Mike changed his football scarf, or has he not even bothered to work out the nature of THE END GAME?

This was not the end, in case Mike was wondering. It was not even the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning.

And of course, there was no MAYBRICK MURDER on Riversdale Road either. I think the authors got that bit right, despite what the title might suggest.

You can't 'murder' cats and dogs.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    I'm not sure why you think I'd be cheering, Caz, but I applaud your vision of me as the type of fella who cheers about stuff, lol.

Most Ripper books are incredibly daft, in my honest opinion. Don't get me started on Ripper fiction! Absolute horseshit.

I was basically just pointing out how unremarkable it is (in my humble opinion, of course) to be voted "Ripper book of the year" by an online Ripper book group. Kind of like having your homemade walnut cake voted cake of the month by the old lady who lives up the road.

​​​​​​I agree, though, that no murder took place on Riversdale. And you already know that I'm quite partial to a bit of Maybrick, though I think enough has been penned already, and I still don't think he wrote any diary, mind, nor do I reckon he was ever supping a jar of bitter in the Poste Haste...err, House... Or slaying unfortunates down in London town. But I do enjoy the Diary as a bit of Tom Slemen-type fiction... Indeed, the only Ripper fiction I'm partial to.

I've nothing against a new book, though, that's not what I was saying. To each, their own, and all that.

I'm still a red, by the way, though I'm still employed by the blues, for all my sins!

Hope you're well, Caz.

X

Comment

• Just popping by to say that, to add to my above post, I've nothing against the book at all, that wasn't my point at the time.

As for the book itself, having read and listened to Chris's thoughts on the topic, I generally applaud and agree with a lot of it, though as a few in here have already pointed out, I would like to see him elaborate on certain parts of his reasoning, the watch, for instance...

I really do enjoy Chris's approach, though, and he seems like a really nice fella who has certainly done a lot of research into Jim and Flo'.

My thoughts on the diary haven't changed too much, however. I still believe it's a modern hoax, although I'm a bit more open now to the potential alternatives, as I've mentioned before. Kudos to Chris on his work, either way, and he's a (sort of) local lad as well.

Cheers

Comment

• Hi Mike,

Chris is a 'really nice fella', even if I can't go along with much of his reasoning when it comes to the mechanics of a modern hoax. Where Chris and I appear to agree is why the hell anyone would have gone to the trouble - and risk - of faking the Maybrick diary and then let Mike Barrett of all people anywhere near it.

Another thing I don't understand is why Anne Barrett would have put the Poste House in the diary, when all it took was a quick trip to the Central Library to check the directories and find out that no pub of that name existed in 1888, and the one in Cumberland Street appears to have been called something else right up until well into the 20th century. It was never an actual post house and had no postal connections before the 1890s, and then only in name due to its proximity to the newly established post office.

The idea that Anne would have been daft enough in the early 1990s to run with the Poste House, when she could have identified any Liverpool pub which the real James Maybrick would have known by name and could have used in 1888 - or simply used a safe generic word instead - makes me wonder how on earth this same woman managed to impress Martin Fido and go on to research and write her own book on Florence Maybrick.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Hi Mike,

Chris is a 'really nice fella', even if I can't go along with much of his reasoning when it comes to the mechanics of a modern hoax. Where Chris and I appear to agree is why the hell anyone would have gone to the trouble - and risk - of faking the Maybrick diary and then let Mike Barrett of all people anywhere near it.

Another thing I don't understand is why Anne Barrett would have put the Poste House in the diary, when all it took was a quick trip to the Central Library to check the directories and find out that no pub of that name existed in 1888, and the one in Cumberland Street appears to have been called something else right up until well into the 20th century. It was never an actual post house and had no postal connections before the 1890s, and then only in name due to its proximity to the newly established post office.

The idea that Anne would have been daft enough in the early 1990s to run with the Poste House, when she could have identified any Liverpool pub which the real James Maybrick would have known by name and could have used in 1888 - or simply used a safe generic word instead - makes me wonder how on earth this same woman managed to impress Martin Fido and go on to research and write her own book on Florence Maybrick.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Allo Caz,

All I'll say is that I do find myself inclined to agree with you. It is all very curious.

Cheers!

​​​

Comment

• Morning Mike,

I don't know who Chris Jones has in mind, but what I also find curious is why some people seem to need Anne to have had her own inky fingers all over the diary, and her imagination all over the words. It's not as if the only alternative to a Barrett hoax would be a genuine James Maybrick artefact, but you'd be forgiven for thinking that's what some fear. It's simply not true that those of us who can't reconcile the known facts with a Barrett creation must all secretly believe that Maybrick wrote the damned thing or was Jack the Ripper.

It's narrow thinking in my view. What better place would there have been for an anonymous hoaxer, seeking neither fame nor fortune, to have had their Battlecrease diary emerge from than - er - wait - it'll come to me - Battlecrease!

There, I've done it now. I've said a bad word. I'd better not walk under any ladders later when out shopping. I've only got eight lives left.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            Last edited by caz; 01-26-2024, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X