Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erobitha
    replied
    Supervillains like Robbie Johnson are rare. Master forgers only come around once in a lifetime. His "old etching tool" does not let him down here on the watch. To get the double loop in the K so accurate is a testament to his abilities. He must have studied that document for hours in London in the age before the internet. The criminal fraternity will miss one of the greats that's for sure.

As for the marriage licence, I actually see a W and not an A but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Iconoclast
    replied
    Originally posted by erobitha View Post
    Maybrick Marriage licence

Click image for larger version Name:	7B11A461-2ABC-4576-8165-48DD44F43EEF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	37.5 KB ID:	763589
    Hi ero b,

The watch seems to depict 'JN Maybrick' but I believe that the N was actually the end of 'MN' (Mary Nicholls) though it's hard to tell using the naked eye. This would suggest that the 'MN' went down first and then he signed his name around it (if it was the other way around, he left a surprisingly big gap between the 'J' and 'Maybrick'?).

The marriage certificate is strange (to me) because he appears to have signed himself 'Ja Maybrick'. I've never been able to work that one out (though I have done next to no research into it!). Do you have a view? I can't tell what the third 'initial' is either - the one which conjoins the 'M' in 'Maybrick'. Any thoughts - is it even a letter at all?

But - hey - how brilliant was Robbie Johnson to have researched Maybrick's wedding licence and copied his signature from it when he scratched it into the old watch Albert had in his drawer? Amazing skulduggery, and certainly fooled me for one! ("Easily done" I hear our dear readers yell in unison!)

I feel very similar about the 'M' in the 'FM' on Mary Kelly's wall. How uncannily its second half rises, just as it does in the scrapbook. As the 'FM' was published as early as 1972 (Farson), the hoaxer must have seen them and worked backwards to Florence Maybrick therefore James Maybrick and then used the particular format of the 'M' on Kelly's wall throughout the scrapbook. Brilliant!

And then wrote 'nothing' exactly as it is written in the official version of the Goulston Street Graffito. Fantastic!

Yer old mucker,

Ike

PS Keep the colour pictures coming, ero b - I'm saving them all into my Jack the Spratt McVitie Archive!

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    replied
    Maybrick Marriage licence

Click image for larger version  Name:	7B11A461-2ABC-4576-8165-48DD44F43EEF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	37.5 KB ID:	763589

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    started a topic Maybrick watch in higher resolution

Maybrick watch in higher resolution

Click image for larger version

Name:	18EE11C7-69D7-4DE6-9790-76AA7B00CC5C.jpeg
Views:	489
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	763587
Working...
X