Copy of Maybrick marriage licence application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy of Maybrick marriage licence application

I had not seen this before - apologies if it has been posted already.
    It is the application for Maybrick's marriage licence at St James, Piccadilly.
    Text transcribed below.
    Also has another example of Maybrick's signature.
    Chris

Maybrick application for marriage licence

DIOCESE OF LONDON
    19th July 1881
    Appeared personally, James Maybrick, Esquire, of the Parish of Saint James, Piccadilly, in the County of Middlesex, a Bachelor, of the age of twenty one years and upwards, and prayed a Licence for the Solemnization of Matrimony in the Parish Church of Saint James, Piccadilly, aforesaid, between him and Florence Elizabeth Chandler of No. 18 Avenue d'Antin, in the City of Paris, in the Republic of France, a Spinster, a Minor of the age of Nineteen years and upwards but under the age of twenty one years, and made oath that he believeth that there is no impediment of Kindred or Alliance, or of any other lawful cause, nor any Suit commenced in any Ecclesiastical Court to bar or hinder the Proceedings of the said Matrimony, according to the tenor of such Licence. And he further made oath, that the said Appearer hath had his usual place of abode within the said Parish of Saint James, Piccadilly, for the space of Fifteen days last, and he lastly made oath that the said Minor hath no Father living or Testamentary Guardian to her lawfully appointed or Mother unmarried or Guardian to her appointed by Her Majesty's High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, having authority to Consent to such intended Marriage.
    (Signed) J W Maybrick
    Sworn before me,
    F S May, Surrogate.
    Attached Files

hands

Hello Chris. Lovely find.

I have read portions of the diary in print, but never the diary itself in cursive script. I daresay the hands differ a good bit?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Thanks Chris.

We included the lower section of this document in Ripper Diary (published 2003) between pages 152 and 153, to allow a comparison between the signature and the 'Maybrick' scratched in the watch, which appears immediately above.

To me they look remarkably similar in style, particularly the 'k', which I imagine would not have been easy to achieve, even if the 'engraver' had a copy of the document in front of them as they worked.

It also begs the eternal question of why the diary author made no similar effort to find and copy any existing examples of Maybrick's handwriting for the 'main event'.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

It's always struck me as odd that anyone would think a complete NUTTERS handwriting would remain consistent every time he or she put pen to paper????

So many don't want the diary to be real, they don't want closure on JTR..

Comment

Re. the watch scratches: is it known or suspected how these markings were made? Could they have been made quickly and with fluidity (in which case we might expect the normal writing style of the engraver to be reproduced) or would it have required a deal of pressure and deliberation?

Best wishes,
          Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz View Post
            It's always struck me as odd that anyone would think a complete NUTTERS handwriting would remain consistent every time he or she put pen to paper????

So many don't want the diary to be real, they don't want closure on JTR..
            I am sane and i swear to god my handwriting differs each day.........its the one criticism of the diary that always makes me laugh....i am testimony to it being possible

Comment

Diary aside, I suppose that anyone fantasising about being the ripper, and putting their thoughts to paper, might well have chosen a writing style to suit. The many ripper letters come to mind here. I wonder how many of these nutcase hoaxers would have used their normal hand, when having fun with the police, the papers and the public? Few, I would imagine, after 'Dear Boss' had been plastered everywhere for recognition purposes.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
              X