Imagine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine

Imagine that it happened like this. Imagine this was the moment he gave up his secret. Imagine we’d been talking about the Victorian scrapbook and he’d been adamant that it could not be authentic. Imagine how much I wished I had a tape recorder, but I didn’t. Imagine how much I now wish I had a perfect memory, but I don’t.

Imagine how I felt the moment he confessed.

Ann Truth: “You seem very confident that it’s a forgery.”
    John Smith: “And with good reason.”
    AT: “What reason is that.”
    JS: “The fact that I wrote it.”

Imagine we were in a relationship, and John had suddenly opened up, right out of the blue. Imagine that I had had an interest in Jack the Ripper for many years, and had read the diary. Imagine that he and I had got on the subject of the diary over a bottle of wine one evening and that he had said those words.

AT: “You wrote the diary of Jack the Ripper?”
    JS: “I did.”
    AT: “You’re joking with me?”
    JS: “I’m not. I was joking with someone else, and it backfired.”
    AT: “How do you mean?”
    JS: “I mean I wrote it for someone I knew, and it spiralled out of control.”
    AT: “Why? Why did you write it?”
    JS: “Because I wanted to prove someone to be a fantasist, and this seemed like a way to do it.”
    AT: “Who?”
    JS: “Mike Barrett.”
    AT: “You know Mike Barrett?”
    JS: “I knew of Mike Barrett more than I knew him. In the early 1990s, I was drinking in The Saddle, and Mike was there most days. Everyone knew he told a tall tale, and everyone got the tales over and over again. He was ex-MI5. He’d infiltrated the IRA. He’d sailed the oceans single-handedly. He’d won the lottery. He’d won a fortune, then he lost a fortune. One day, he’d have a terminal illness. The next day, he’d be cured. There was no end to his literally fantastic life.”
    AT: “So why the diary?”
    JS: “Well, one day I saw my chance to show him up for the fantasist he was.”
    AT: “How?”
    JS: “One day he claimed that he knew who Jack the Ripper was. It was a family secret, apparently. Jack was an ancestor who had left evidence of his crimes. According to Mike, he and his family could name names all the way back to Jack. According to Mike, he actually had in his home the farthings taken from Annie Chapman’s feet. According to Mike, he had Mary Kelly’s room key. Of course, whenever he was later asked to produce them, he would ‘forget’ to bring them in, or he’d say they were locked away. So I saw an opportunity to prove he was a fraud. It occurred to me that if Mike Barrett came across a diary of Jack the Ripper and he believed it was the real thing, he would talk about it. That was guaranteed. Now he’d said Jack was a family member. He could trace him back by name. So the diary he found had to be written by someone who was in no way related to him. I reckoned that he’d be so excited that he’d forget his tales about Jack being an ancestor and - when he did - I would nail him. It was as simple as that. In retrospect, it was rather sad that I bothered, but that was why I wrote it.”
    AT: “So you wrote the diary of Jack the Ripper to show that Mike Barrett was a fantasist?”
    JS: “That’s exactly it. And – for the record – it did exactly that.”
    AT: “So how did you write the diary?”
    JS: “Well, I obviously needed a plausible Jack.”
    AT: “You wouldn’t describe James Maybrick as a plausible Jack”.
    JS: “That’s true. But he was convenient, and he ended up fitting the bill. The Liverpool connection was convenient, but irrelevant. First of all, I wanted something on the record that I could link to my Jack – just to really excite Mike. I bought a couple of books and I looked for something on the record that I could make that link with. To cut a long story short, I came across the photo of Kelly’s room, and I used a magnifying glass to highlight any details at all I could use. I quickly saw the blood marks or whatever they were which looked like a letter ‘M’ and knew that I could use it for the diary. I also felt that you could make a case for a letter ‘P’ right next to it, so I figured I needed a Jack with whom I could link the letters ‘P’ and ‘M’, in that order. My first idea was to link the murders with the prime minister Gladstone because he was known to wander the streets trying to save prostitutes, and I very nearly did – I even wrote some notes for a Gladstone Jack.
    AT: “So how did you decide upon James Maybrick?”
    JS: “Well, initially I didn’t think of him at all because a less obvious candidate you could hardly think of. But then – just out of personal interest - I bought a book on Liverpool crimes and it was when I read about Florence Maybrick and the affair with Alfred Brierley and started to think that that would provide a good storyline. You know, the wronged husband rages away but can’t prove anything and takes his vengeance out on Whitechapel prostitutes. Probably the first thing was the Whitechapel connection between London and Liverpool, I guess – that set me thinking. but when I read more on James Maybrick’s life in a couple of other books I bought, especially the addiction to arsenic and the occasional bouts of violent rage against Florence, I started to build the story that became the diary. the ‘P’ on Kelly’s wall became an ‘F’, and I had the concrete link between James Maybrick and Jack which I could use to fool Mike Barrett. After that, the writing of the diary was effortless. I wrote it over about four evenings in the spring of 1991. I used the five books that I’d bought. Anything I didn’t know, I just made up. At the end of the day, I only needed the diary to be convincing enough long enough to fool Mike Barrett into walking into The Saddle with it under his arm and telling everyone that he’d found the diary of Jack the Ripper and that it was written by anyone other than a member of his family.”
    AT: “Okay, so you wrote the diary. Where did you get an authentic Victorian scrapbook and authentic Victorian ink?”
    JS: “Very easy. I’d been in Stoke on business around that time and I came across an antique shop. I went in, and there on a small table was a pile of old scrapbooks from around that time. The one I chose had half its pages ripped out. This made it significantly cheaper than the others, and saved me from having to remove pages myself. The ink was on a table next to the scrapbooks. The whole purchase took me less than five minutes from walking in the shop. Overall, they cost me about £25, which was frankly well worth it to catch Mike out.”
    AT: “So you just sat down and wrote it?”
    JS: “Far from it. I read each of the books I had. Made notes about the canonical five victims and the investigation, and about the Maybricks. Then I sat down and wrote the diary.
    AT: “But you had seven victims?”
    JS: “Two anonymous victims in Manchester were artistic licence. It was all just throwaway stuff designed to sucker in Mike. There were loads of other lines which sound as though they are loaded with meaning – and plenty of meaning has since been ascribed to them – but they were no more than that; throwaway lines designed to fool Mike Barrett.”
    AT: “So how did you get it to Mike?”
    JS: “That was always going to be a problem – but ultimately it was the time of year which gave me the idea. It was March 1991. It occurred to me that the most appropriate timing of the diary would be April the first – one because it would make an even bigger fool of Mike, and two because I could use the date as a reason to convince someone to give it to Mike. The obvious choice was Tony Devereux. He drank in The Saddle, and he was very friendly with Mike. He was a really decent bloke and everyone liked him. I knew that if Tony gave Mike the diary, this would give it huge credibility. So I approached Tony at the end of March and explained to him that I was playing an April Fool joke on Mike and that I needed him to give a parcel to Mike and say ‘Do something with it’. I told him that Mike would want to know where he’d got it from, and that he should refuse to answer the question otherwise the April Fool would be ruined. True to his word, just as I knew he would, Tony gave Mike the diary, delivered the line exactly as I’d asked him to, and then refused to answer any of his questions even when Mike pestered him as I now believe that he did.”
    AT: “So what happened after that? Did Mike walk into The Saddle with it under his arm?”
    JS: “For all I know, he did. Just after I gave Tony the diary, I left Liverpool for a new job. I quickly lost touch with the guys in The Saddle, and I was too busy in my new job to give any thought to Mike Barrett and the fake diary of Jack the Ripper.”
    AT: “So what happened next?”
    JS: “What happened next was that I opened a newspaper about two years later to see Mike Barrett’s face next to the diary I wrote for him, and realised that he’d believed in the thing hook, line, and sinker and had had it published. I was completely cold – I couldn’t believe my eyes: my first reaction was to panic, thinking that I’d committed some kind of crime. Then I figured I hadn’t – genuinely hadn’t – and that the joke would soon be exposed for what it was when it was published. And sure enough, The Times did expose it as a fake, but the book still went ahead. It was a joke which just ran and ran. Now it’s 2009, and it’s still out there, generating thousands of lines of debate. What started out as a joke became big money for Mike Barrett, although I believe he frittered it all away. Others soon jumped on the bandwagon with their books and films. Even now, this year, there’s apparently another book due out claiming Michael Maybrick wrote the diary! It’s ridiculous.”
    AT: “So you gave the diary to Tony Devereux. Why did Mike’s wife later claim that she had given it to Tony?”
    JS: “I’ve no idea. It’s of little consequence to me whether she did or she didn’t. I can only assume that she understood the weakness of the provenance provided by Mike – despite believing him (after all, he was telling the truth) – and did what many loyal wives would have done and provided what she thought was a better provenance, and got her father to support it. I don’t suppose she gave it a lot of thought. If she believed Mike, as I’m sure she did, it would have seemed right that she helped him out. I found it quite touching, to be honest”
    AT: “There are a lot of coincidences attached to the diary. People have said the forger had incredible luck.”
    JS: “There were some coincidences along the way. It was a coincidence that the first and last two letters of ‘James Maybrick’ spell ‘Jack’. Personally, I didn’t notice it when I was writing it, but looking back I could have made good use of it as the reason for the name. The blind man’s bluff drawing was incredible good luck – I couldn’t have hoped for that kind of luck had I needed it, but I didn’t actually need it. These things were just coincidences, though. I didn’t give James Maybrick his name, and I didn’t draw the blind man’s bluff cartoon”
    AT: “What about the ‘M’s at the various crime scenes?”
    JS: “Well, what was there? An ‘M’ on an envelope? If you write ‘Mr’ or ‘Mrs’, then every envelope will have an ‘M’. A reference to ‘left my mark’ on Catherine Eddowes? That was another throwaway line which researchers then found something to link to Maybrick. The letters on Kelly’s wall were no coincidence – they were just blood stains which inspired me to build a story which led to James Maybrick.”
    AT: “What about the ‘Juwes’ looking like ‘James’ and the reference to ‘then a Jew I shall be’?”
    JS: “Again, it was a throwaway line which researchers who were desperate to find meaningful links could use to link to Maybrick. It could have meant anything, and it could have meant nothing. I don’t even think it looks much like ‘James’ anyway – unless you really want it to. There are lots of other throwaway lines in the diary which have simply been ignored because no-one has been able to link them to anything.”
    AT: “What about Florence’s letter to Brierley where she said ‘The tale he told me was pure fabrication and only meant to scare the truth out of me’?”
    JS: “Well, that was a genuine coincidence, and one that I happily wrote into the diary. I knew that if Maybrick in the diary claimed to have confessed to Florence near the end of his life then it would tally with her letter to Brierley. It was hugely unlikely that she would have written those words, but the fact that she did made it easy for me to build them into the joke.”
    AT: “What about the watch?”
    JS: “Nothing to do with me.”
    AT: “Nothing at all?”
    JS: “Nothing. I didn’t create the watch – I didn’t need to.”
    AT: “You wrote about the little girl Gladys being ill again. Then it was proven in a letter that she was often ill. Where did you get that from?”
    JS: “It was another throwaway line. All of these little ‘slice of life’ lines were designed to fool Mike into thinking the diary was for real. This was the 1880s – every child was ill, for goodness sake. Infant mortality was through the roof. I could have referred to the boy, but I didn’t. If I had, someone would eventually have found a letter which showed the boy was often ill - guaranteed.”
    AT: “Why didn’t you copy James Maybrick’s handwriting?”
    JS: “The handwriting wasn’t a mistake, as people keep saying. I didn’t know what it looked like and nor did I care. I assumed that Mike Barrett wouldn’t know either, and that’s all that mattered. What I did do was to mimic the style of the blood stains on Kelly’s wall which looked like an ‘M’. That way, you’d be more likely to think – ‘this is the real deal’.”
    AT: “There were other errors as well.”
    JS: “Of course there were – that was inevitable. I wrote the thing in four evenings after work, using only the notes I had made and my memory of events to base it on. But none of the other errors gave the game away to Mike Barrett, and that was the only point. I referred to the ‘Post House’ when it hadn’t existed in 1888. I hadn’t realised that, but for all the same reasons, neither would Mike Barrett. If he had, if he’d known about local pub history, all my efforts may have been in vain. Fortunately – or unfortunately, I suppose – they weren’t. I made reference to Jack placing Kelly’s breasts on the side table, and that one could well have blown the diary because it was easily researched by Mike. The strange thing is, I believe he did do a lot of research of his own before he attempted to get it published, but he didn’t notice that mistake, or if he did he chose to ignore it. I misunderstood Michael Maybrick’s role in writing lyrics for his songs. I assumed he did both lyrics and music, and I made a big play of this in the diary. Obviously, I now realise that he only wrote the music. Again, it wasn’t enough to stop Mike so in that sense it served its purpose. Looking back, I’m amazed I didn’t make more mistakes than I did.”
    AT: “What about the line ‘Oh costly intercourse of death’? Where did you get that from?”
    JS: “I got that from Mike Barrett! He came into The Saddle one day with some books he’d been given, and we were all looking through them. I picked up the poetry one and it literally opened on that page. I saw the line, and thought I’d put it into the diary. Simple as that.”
    AT: “Can you prove you wrote the diary?”
    JS: “I could write a paragraph now and you’d see that it was my handwriting.”
    AT: “You could just be copying the style of the diary.”
    JS: “I could, I suppose. However, there is one very big clue that I left in the diary. ‘Left it in front for all to see’. In fact, I deliberately wrote two things into the diary designed to prove it was a fake – just in case I needed to prove it to Mike in the pub. The first one, everyone spotted very quickly. The second one, no-one has ever spotted – it’s never been noticed after all this time. And yet it’s the most blatant entry in the diary, and it totally nails the joke. The first one was the line straight out of the list of Catherine Eddowes’ possessions. ‘Tin match box empty’. It was word for word from the original list! I figured Mike wouldn’t spot it, but when I pointed it out to him he would realise he’d been conned.”
    AT: “So that was deliberate?”
    JS: “Totally. It was put there to prove the diary was a joke. Simple as that.”
    AT: “And the second thing?”
    JS: “The second thing occurred to me late on in the writing of the diary. It was at the time of the Kelly murder. I crossed out most of the entries around it and left just it alone. Three words. ‘Left them in front for all to see’! Thing is, when the publishers typed the diary text up for the first book, they crossed out everything in that section and they’ve remained crossed out ever since, even though three words were very clearly not crossed out in the text itself.”
    AT: “What were the three words?”
    JS: “They were ‘Damn Michael Barrett’.”

Imagine my frustration at not being able to find my copy to check this unbelievable claim. Imagine that the next day I went out and bought a copy of the original book and read through looking for this clue left by a man whose name was not John Smith and who is no longer my partner. Imagine how I felt when I read those three words and realised that an entire industry had grown up out of one small joke which backfired.

Just imagine if my name was really Ann Truth, which it sort of is, and that this story was true, which it may well be.

Just imagine!

Ann Truth,

This genuinely sounds like the most plausible explination I have herd yet. With the information we have on the people envolved, this makes more sense than any other theory I have herd. But dont fall into the trap that others have made by being to vague. Credability is an ongoing thing, and at some stage you may have to provide some proof.

If the author's and the publishers of the Maybrick books knew about the "Damn Michael Barrett' line, they could be in hot water, as they have blatently broken the law.

Comment

Ann Truth

I would be extremely greatful if you could do me this favour, please.

You have me hooked on this theory, which sounds the most logical. I cannot get my hands on a copy of the original book to check for the line 'Damn Michael Barrett' which the publishers had crossed out.

Could you please post a copy of this section , which the publishers have crossed out, onto this thread, when you get a chance, so that I could examine it with my own eyes. I think I would speak for most on this casebook, when I say that I would be interested to examine it. Thanking you Q.

Comment

Quasar,

I just strained my eyes reading the facsimile of The Diary in Shirley Harrison's book. Guess what? Nothing that would even suggest a crossing-out per "Ann Truth's" claim! I suspect that Ms Truth will never be heard from again...good sense of humour, though!

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

i think this is what she was refering to
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Porky Man,

I clocked that, but assume it's a reference to Michael Maybrick. It's not fully crossed-out, either. I think the word above and to the right of 'Michael' is 'bonnett'.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Hi Porky Man,

I clocked that, but assume it's a reference to Michael Maybrick. It's not fully crossed-out, either. I think the word above and to the right of 'Michael' is 'bonnett'.

Graham
              ann truth said that it was crossed out when the pubklishers typed it up which it is.
              she said john smith said the three words werent crossed out in the text which theyre not.
              if john smith had written the name barrett it would have been pretty obvious so im not surpised he attempted to disguise it if thats what really happened.
              otherwise its a coincidence that something that looks like damn michael barrett should be in the diary.
              like quasar im hooked in if its a joke.

Comment

I'm assuming the convo outlined in the OP is nothing more than an amusing flight of fancy - for one thing, the idea that the forger would go to such lengths to out a fantasist...and then leave town when his joke is about to bear fruit, it dosen't ring true.

However, the OP does seem to have stumbled upon something in the diary that, if coincidental, is some coincidence. I haven't got a copy of the diary, but it would be nice to see what words surround the text reproduced above, to put them into context.

As to Graham's suggestion, that the word top right reads 'bonnett', I'm not sure how it was spelt in the LVP, but today it's spelt 'bonnet', as far as I'm aware. All this said, I'm aware that, when told that a certain phrase or combination of letters/words exists, we have a tendency to seek and find them - ie; the 'FM' claimed for the wall in MJK's bedroom.
                Last edited by Radical Joe; 10-04-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Don't know that I buy this, but as an explanation it's not inconceivable, and as a wee prank on us folks here, it's a pretty good effort. Either way, it's a spot of amusement for me first thing in the morning, so yay for that.

B.
                  Bailey
                  Wellington, New Zealand
                  hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                  www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Why would someone invent a complete fantasy to say that the purpose of the diary was to prank a known fantasist.Even prodiarist Feldman concedes that Barrett is a known fantasist.If this is double fantasy, than whats the world coming to?

What did strike me as blatant in the diary was the use of "tin match box empty" word for word, from the police list. Thing is the police omited this in 1888, and was not discovered till 1984.If the diary was genuine, the ripper has lucked this word for word from the ploice list.Pretty slim chance.A. Truth said the forger took this straight out of the post 1984 books as blatent proof to Barrett when the time came. That makes sense.

As for the forger leaving Liverpool before revealing the prank, that is no drama.It took Barrett 6 months of research to get it off the ground.He seemed to bugger around for a long time with it before doing anything - so the forger himself could well have lost interest. A.Truth said he then regained interest in it when he saw the 1993 Times article exposing as a fake.

Lets cut to the chase now. Thanks to Porky Man for posting image.We must get to the bottom of this now. That fact something looks like the second clue, needed as proof to Barrett it was faked, is startling. Well, it aint "Bonnet", unless its a misspell.If it aint Barrett - what the hell in the English language could it be?
                    Most importantly. I cant find this part in my transcript anywhere. Does that mean it has been omitted? The whole thing is fishy. We need to know this now. What text surrounds the phrase? Does anthing remotely like "bonnett" fit in context with it? If not - its game over.

Given the seriousness of this claim, I cant believe there is not more interest in it. Surely, a handwriting specialist must now be called in to properly examine the mysterious B word. So can anyone out there help me get to the bottom of this? Q.
                    Last edited by quasar; 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quasar View Post
                      Why would someone invent a complete fantasy to say that the purpose of the diary was to prank a known fantasist.Even prodiarist Feldman concedes that Barrett is a known fantasist.If this is double fantasy, than whats the world coming to?
                      Could it not be argued that the OP, knowing that Barrett has been labelled a 'fantasist', used that to give their tale more credibility? As to why someone would invent a complete fantasy (the OP), who knows? Perhaps we should also ask why someone would send fake letters to the police in 1888 or indeed, why someone would forge a diary in 1988 - for a prank?

What did strike me as blatant in the diary was the use of "tin match box empty" word for word, from the police list. Thing is the police omited this in 1888, and was not discovered till 1984.If the diary was genuine, the ripper has lucked this word for word from the ploice list.Pretty slim chance.A. Truth said the forger took this straight out of the post 1984 books as blatent proof to Barrett when the time came. That makes sense.
                      The 'tin match box empty' phrase is, again, well known, and while it gives credence to the idea that the diary was forged, it does not, IMO, give credence to the OP's tale. The OP's story might make sense but, then again, it's supposed to. Who's to say that the OP didn't, having read various arguments on here, include that to give the appearance of the truth?

As for the forger leaving Liverpool before revealing the prank, that is no drama.It took Barrett 6 months of research to get it off the ground.He seemed to bugger around for a long time with it before doing anything - so the forger himself could well have lost interest. A.Truth said he then regained interest in it when he saw the 1993 Times article exposing as a fake.
                      Leaving aside the objection I raised earlier (that it seems strange the forger, having spent time forging the diary, would leave town before seeing his efforts rewarded), it must be asked (particularly in light of your first question regarding why would the OP create a fantasy), why would someone spend a lot of time, effort (and, presumably, money) just to play a harmless prank against a 'fantasist' that he seems not to have had a particular grudge against? It seems easier to believe that someone could come on here and spend 10 minutes posting a prank tale, than to believe a forger researched both Maybrick and JTR, searched out a suitably old scrapbook, created an old looking ink, and spent his own money doing all this - just to play a prank.

Lets cut to the chase now. Thanks to Porky Man for posting image.We must get to the bottom of this now. That fact something looks like the second clue, needed as proof to Barrett it was faked, is startling. Well, it aint "Bonnet", unless its a misspell.If it aint Barrett - what the hell in the English language could it be?
                      Most importantly. I cant find this part in my transcript anywhere. Does that mean it has been omitted? The whole thing is fishy. We need to know this now. What text surrounds the phrase? Does anthing remotely like "bonnett" fit in context with it? If not - its game over.
                      I agree that the reproduction posted above does seem odd (as I noted above). Perhaps it does read 'damn Michael barrett' and, if so, would obviously confirm it as a forgery. But, again, this does not necessarily prove the OP's story as true. It's possible (as I suggested above) that the OP innocently came across this 'anomoly' while reading the diary but, instead of reporting it as she saw it, decided to spin a yarn - in the tradition of the diary itself.

Given the seriousness of this claim, I cant believe there is not more interest in it. Surely, a handwriting specialist must now be called in to properly examine the mysterious B word. So can anyone out there help me get to the bottom of this? Q.
                      I think most folk have, understandably, given up on the diary. Personally I believe it's a very likely fake (95% sure). That said, I don't necessarily believe the story told in the OP just because it's been put forward. Indeed, in some respects, it's almost a re-run of the Diary (if it is fake), but on a much smaller scale; take some known facts, weave a story around them and Bob's your uncle, someone's bound to believe it.
                      Last edited by Radical Joe; 10-08-2009, 05:23 PM. Reason: One day I'll get the hang of this quoting business.

Comment

OK - Got it.
                        Even though much of the text is incongruous, the 'b' word does not fit in to any context in this line at all.
                        Christmas - save - the -whores - mole - bonnet. No context.

It it very suspicious. There is a huge chunk of text all crossed out - but the three words "damn michael barrett" are left untouched. The author has taken 2 liberties.
                        1. she has crossed this text out in the transcript.
                        2. she has spelt the word ,'bonnett' in the transcript, even though the word is NOT spelt this way.It has not adequetly been transcribed.

A.Truth said that this section was deliberately left untouched as proof to Barrett when the time came. The word Barrett is spelt with 2 R's and 2 T's.
                        This has got to be more than just coincidence ?
                        This 'b' word needs to go under a microscope. Q.

Comment

I think the image Porky Man posted says "whores under bonnett" and "Damn Michael" on the 2nd line.

KR,
                          Vic.
                          Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                          Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

OK - Got it.
                            Even though much of the text is incongruous, the 'b' word does not fit in to any context in this line at all.

It it very suspicious. There is a huge chunk of text all crossed out - but the three words "damn michael barrett" are left untouched. The author has taken 2 liberties.
                            1. she has crossed this text out in the transcript.
                            2. she has spelt the word ,'bonnett' in the transcript, even though the word is NOT spelt this way.It has not adequetly been transcribed.

A.Truth said that this section was deliberately left untouched as proof to Barrett when the time came. The word Barrett is spelt with 2 R's and 2 T's.
                            This has got to be more than just coincidence ?
                            This 'b' word needs to go under a microscope. Q.
                            Hi Quasar!
                            I've got Shirley Harrison's 'Jack the Ripper,The American Connection' (hardback, published 2003) on my lap and on page 372 there is a list (in the facsimile of the Diary) which says:
                            bastard
                            Abberline
                            bonnett
                            hides all
                            clue
                            clever
                            will tell you more

The 'Christmas save the whores mole bonnett' is on page 378.

I've had a very good look at both 'bonnetts' and they look the same to me. Now, I would have thought that if what the supposed hoaxer says about 'damn Michael barrett' is true then wouldn't he have also laid claim to yet another 'clue', namely the 'bonnett' mentioned in the list on page 372 above?

Just a thought!

All the best
                            Carol

Comment

Oh for feck's sake, people. I've just done a stupid thing by looking to see what's been going on here since my last visit in August, and I can hardly believe this.

The thread is entitled 'Imagine' and the original post is meant to be a little bit of creative writing, ie a slice of fiction.

I gave up about a third of the way through because the myths were already piling up, proving that the author either had a painfully slim grasp of diary facts or was having to fabricate them like mad to make some vague sense of the plot.

Does anyone seriously think the publisher saw the words 'damn Michael barrett', said "Whoops" to himself, then "Never mind, Shirley, we'll make some half-arsed attempt to strike out those tell-tale words in the transcript, while typing them anyway and leaving them perfectly legible, then publish the facsimile of the diary as is, and pray that nobody notices - ooh for at least sixteen years"?

The passage in question consists of six lines of handwriting (34 words in all), all of which have been deliberately crossed through by the diary author using five, fairly evenly spaced diagonal strokes of the pen, which leave the words underneath not only legible, but mostly untouched (in fact 19 out of the 34 words) by the diagonal strokes - not just the three supposed clue words.

In short, the author was simply ditching the whole passage, while making no effort to hide or highlight any specific words. Obviously the printed transcript uses only horizontal lines to show where lines in the text have been crossed through, either horizontally or diagonally.

Christmas save the whores mole bonnett
                              damn the bitches damn Michael

Firstly, a mole bonnet was a Victorian woman's hat made from moleskin or fur. This one was possibly meant to belong to Florie. (I have often wondered if the diary author was hinting at Sir Jim giving his wife's bonnets to his victims before killing them, and that the enforced Christmas holiday with his family would save Florie's mole bonnet going the same way.)

Secondly, Michael was James's talented brother, who would have been conspicuous by his absence had 'Sir Jim' not mentioned him at all.

And thirdly, spelling mistakes, like 'bonnett', and a lack of apostrophes, as in 'whores', appear throughout the text (and quite deliberately in my view, to aid the impression of an ignorant brute trying to be a somebody). But as Stephen Fry said so eloquently last night on QI, complaints about poor spelling, punctuation and grammar, including the grocer's apostrophe, go back centuries and were obviously aimed at people who had learned to read and write but did so imperfectly.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Last edited by caz; 11-27-2009, 03:20 PM.
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                              X