The Diego Laurenz Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Diego Laurenz Code

Scrolling through the other threads, there seems to be alot of discussion about what this means, and there is different oppinions on it. Some have said that Diego is Spanish for James , and Laurenz is a rhyme for Florence, as a possability. I spent the last week doing my homework on this, and have brought in some heavy artillery to help me. A friend of my father's, a 67 year old man named Lee, is a genius in word codes - that is encrypting and decrypting word codes. He has helped try to explain to me how the cryptic crosswords work in the newspaper. Since I find these near impossible to do. He explained the techniques used, such as separating syllables, and guggling them around.He can do it with consumate ease.

To get to the point. He believes that this is clever word trickery using phonetic similarities. That is if you are assuming Maybrick wrote it. Otherwise it is just a hoaxers fluke. I wont get into the debate about Maybrick as JtR - but what this meant if he did write it.
    The first thing that Lee did was separate the first 3 letters of the name - which I did not know at the time why he did. He explained that this is so very fundemental to the whole purpose of the diary. Maybrick's goal was to kill whores to atone for his wife's infedelity. He could not kill her himself - for obvious reasons. Although, when she wrote to Michael telling him about his arsenic addiction, James seriously did consider killing Flo that week.Thus the whole point is for Flo to Die. Strangely, the first 3 letters are DIE.That is why he separated them.He then put it into 4 parts - DIE GO LAU RENZ. He said it is the GO LAU RENZ part that is the ryme for Florence.

Laurenz is about as close as you can get in the Spanish language to Florence. It is not perfect - but close. A cryptic trick he used was to omit the Syllable LAU. We are left with the motive of the diary up against the clue.To make it clearer I will put them on top of each other to compare.

DIE GO RENZ - LAU(omited). This is the code.
    DIE FLO RENCE . This is the diary's motive.
    Say them together and see what you think.

DIE GORENZ and DIE FLORENCE are very phonetically similar. This was clever work, if Maybrick did it, as while similar, it is not too clear. " I will leave them a clue - but nothing too clear". It has amused the person he set out to amuse - himself.
    If anyone else is a genius in the cryptic crosswords , tell me what you think of this.I have got the help of a genius and come up with this, so I would be glad to hear any comment. Thanks, Q.

Hi, Quasar, and welcome!

I have played around with this Diego Laurenz name too, though not in relation to Maybrick, as I don't believe Maybrick was the Ripper. I saw the "die go" part, which could of course be a play on "go die".

"Warren" and "Warren's" rhyme with "Laurenz."

I've wondered if there were anyone involved in the case, even peripherally, called 'Lawrence' or 'Laurence'. This could have been a surname or a given name; if the former, their given name may or may not have been James. It could even be the first or last names of 2 different individuals- various combinations are possible.
    The letter was sent to the Liverpool paper, so maybe the individual being "punned" was located there rather than in London.

Or maybe it was just a private joke that occurred to the writer out of the blue, and it doesn't really tie in to anything meaningful? Common names are the hardest to trace, and so far I haven't come up with a satisfactory explanation.
    Good luck with it! Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Why not use abhorrence? It rhymes with Florence much better and would have been perfect to use regarding his feelings towards her, if he indeed felt that way. Why anything? Trying to unravel a mystery that doesn't exist leads to the unraveling of one's brain. To anyone who believs in the diary, this may have already happened.

Cheers,

Mike
      huh?

Comment

The problem is that the only reason for believing that Maybrick wrote the letter is to assume that the diary is true and that Diego=James and Laurenz=a particularly strained Florence reference.

If you leap that step to determine what Maybrick would have meant (if he wrote it) then you're undermining the one reason to think he did write it....

(To be clear of course the Diego/Hames Laurenz/Florence connection is certainly a creative leap, but not credible IMO)

But it was an interesting post, thanks for digging.

Comment

I think I've cracked it.

If you simply take away two letters from Florence - f and c - you get Lorene.

Now by adding just six new letters - d i g a u z - you can rearrange them all to spell out:

Diego Laurenz

Simple and effective - and a bit spooky too.

Love,

Tuppence Short of a Shilling
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Amazing...

Although, I am a bit confused by the name itself - I mean, 'Diego' is Spanish, and 'Laurenz' is German, for a start - who knows what that means? It seems an unlikely name, except for a man of multicultural parentage.

I found out that 'Diego' - a form of James! (as I am not the first to notice, I'm sure) - means 'Supplanter' and 'Laurenz', being derived from the Latin 'Laurence' means 'from Laurentium' - a place noted for its laurel trees. Hmm. Possibly Diego Laurenz was a gardener? Might work if you accept that what was actually meant by 'Diego' was actually 'Planter'. Are there many laurel trees in Liverpool, though? I don't know.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Jane x

Comment

Hi Jane,

Well Aigburth, where the real James Maybrick lived, apparently means 'hill where oak trees grow'.

So maybe someone who was resting on his laurels decided to plant an acorn which grew into a mighty oak.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                I've wondered if there were anyone involved in the case, even peripherally, called 'Lawrence' or 'Laurence'.
                Several early reports of the Miller's Court murder give the victim's name as "Mary Jane Lawrence", and that she'd married a man of that name who had either abandoned her, or who only periodically visited her in London (accounts vary). In addition, the London Echo once spelled Joseph Lawende's name as "Joseph Lawrence".
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I've wondered if there were anyone involved in the case, even peripherally, called 'Lawrence' or 'Laurence'.
                  Also, James Sadler bought an Annie Lawrence a drink in a pub on the corner of Dorset St whilst on a pub crawl with Frances Coles.

Comment

A New Theory

Hmmm; interesting replies.

Here's my theory: the nefarious letter writer had two little pet budgies, one named Diego and one named Laurenz, and he ingeniously named his alter-ego after them.

Now I'm busy trying to figure out what color they were.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

I made the mistake of saying Laurenz is Spanish, and not Geman.
                      This crowd is a tough audience. I think I would have more luck selling ice to eskimoes. I think there is a great chance the ripper did write this since he refuted another letter and said this was 'Genuine'. And yes, it is possible that a double hoax occured and he was actually just stirring up more mischief.
                      So if you consider this great chance, it has been luck for the forger's, if it was forged. They seemed to have had fortune on thier side. There was that other letter which mentioned JtR and Flo in the same letter - also from Liverpool.

There is also some tangible evidence that Flo's mum had in her possession that she wanted to supress. She said that she 'had in her possession evidence she was wanting to supress'. If it was not contraversial evidence she would not have said that. It was not heresay , or oppinion, it was something tangible - made of matter. Why did she not unload instantly with this evidence to save Flo. What was it? With Flo's neck on the line(literally) she did not want to produce this TANGIBLE evidence unless she really had to.WHY? I just think the the forger's have been lucky enough here on many counts, and it seems they have walked into a pre-existing mystery. Q.

Comment

Originally posted by quasar View Post
                        This crowd is a tough audience. I think I would have more luck selling ice to eskimoes.
                        Quasar,

You truly understand well the art of understatement. Everyone who posts on Maybrick essentially has views which are as fixed as ice, so fixed that even a spot of global warming will not shift them. Myself included, of course.

There was that other letter which mentioned JtR and Flo in the same letter - also from Liverpool.
                        I am unsure which 'other letter' you are referring to? I'm only aware of the DIEGO LAURENZ one.

It has been noted elsewhere ('Incontrovertible ...') that there was a James Laurence living in Liverpool in 1888/89 which was an excellent spot and certainly adds a little spice to the debate (it may have been he who wrote the Diego letter).

Nevertheless, I agree with you entirely that for all the problems we have with coincidences like 'tin match box empty', the forger (if forger there be) enjoyed unrealistically large amounts of coincidence and good luck.

Watch this, next few postings will say the forger didn't enjoy any coincidences or good luck. I've been waiting a long time, but no-one has mentioned this fact yet: the Diego Laurenz letter was published in the Liverpool Echo, but the original (to my knowledge) no longer exists. Was it misquoted?

Comment

To The Noble Sir Soothslayer

Soothy!!!

Glad to see you are still brandishing your Silver Sword of Righteousness against the Forces of Darkness!

Best regards from your agnostic pal, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                            Also, James Sadler bought an Annie Lawrence a drink in a pub on the corner of Dorset St whilst on a pub crawl with Frances Coles.
                            Just remembered Jose Laurenco, Edward Knight Larkins Portuguese cattleman suspect.

Comment

Soothy!!!

Glad to see you are still brandishing your Silver Sword of Righteousness against the Forces of Darkness!

Best regards from your agnostic pal, Archaic
                              I am, Archaic. When the good-natured posts dry up, I'll probably take my sword somewhere else.

In the meantime ... swish, swoosh, ouch! (You've got to be careful when brandishing those Silver Swords of Righteousness.)

Comment

Working...
                              X