X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-one4.htm

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Barbara McNichol forwarded me a question about the expression one-off as used to mean “one of a kind.”

Phil
    So...if anyone can show likewise usage before 1934..I would be very interested!

Phil.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

So...if anyone can show likewise usage before 1934..I would be very interested!
      Not sure if you managed to read my #2152 Phil.

From a speech by T.R. Schofield entitled 'Patternmaking and Economies and Developments' presented at the Cardiff Convention of the British Foundrymen's Association in August 1912 as reported in 'Foundry' of September 1912:

"In time past, when patterns were laboriously hand-made and the conveniences now common in up-to-date pattern shops for rapid production were almost unknown, many ingenious methods were evolved, enabling castings to be obtained from a somewhat meager pattern preparation. Such castings were not always as true as might be desired; some of the niceties of design had to be sacrificed and allowance for machining had to be somewhat generous, to cover inaccuracies. Still, such methods and such castings suited the needs of the time. Contingencies still occur when these makeshift methods are justifiable even at the present time, as, for instance, the familiar one-off job in some of its forms, and the bona fide breakdown. Knowledge of these cheap methods formed no part of the patternmaker’s stock-in-trade, but they have tended to become stereotyped into standard methods."

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        Not sure if you managed to read my #2152 Phil.

From a speech by T.R. Schofield entitled 'Patternmaking and Economies and Developments' presented at the Cardiff Convention of the British Foundrymen's Association in August 1912 as reported in 'Foundry' of September 1912:

"In time past, when patterns were laboriously hand-made and the conveniences now common in up-to-date pattern shops for rapid production were almost unknown, many ingenious methods were evolved, enabling castings to be obtained from a somewhat meager pattern preparation. Such castings were not always as true as might be desired; some of the niceties of design had to be sacrificed and allowance for machining had to be somewhat generous, to cover inaccuracies. Still, such methods and such castings suited the needs of the time. Contingencies still occur when these makeshift methods are justifiable even at the present time, as, for instance, the familiar one-off job in some of its forms, and the bona fide breakdown. Knowledge of these cheap methods formed no part of the patternmaker’s stock-in-trade, but they have tended to become stereotyped into standard methods."
        I did read it David.
        My response is simple.
        One swallow a summer doth not make.

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Frankly I would have thought you would want to thank me for giving you something more interesting to do than watch a Wigan game.

As for a place in time, I am influenced by the fact that Dr David Baxendale, an experienced document examiner, carried out a solubility test in July or August 1992 which revealed that the ink in the diary had been recently added to the paper.
          Actually, I was watching a Newcastle game.

I think your claim regarding Dr. Baxendale - if true - would have definitely killed the journal long before publication never mind twenty-four years of debate.

There's still time to thank me, incidentally.
          Iconoclast
          Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

I did read it David.
            My response is simple.
            One swallow a summer doth not make.
            I literally have no idea what you mean Phil.

You said "if anyone can show likewise usage before 1934..I would be very interested!".

Having shown you such usage before 1934, I must say you don't sound terribly interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
              I think your claim regarding Dr. Baxendale - if true - would have definitely killed the journal long before publication never mind twenty-four years of debate.
              I think you will find that Dr Baxendale's report was not allowed to be published.

However, the Sunday Times did report his findings regarding the ink and, as far as the general public is concerned, this certainly did kill the journal long before publication.

Comment

I literally have no idea what you mean Phil.

You said "if anyone can show likewise usage before 1934..I would be very interested!".

Having shown you such usage before 1934, I must say you don't sound terribly interested.
                I am interested because I show three textbook examples of the origin.

I have seen nothing in your presentation to match them.

Supply textbook examples of earlier origin. Then I will consider that there may be a possibility of known..widespread usage. Not a one-off.

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I am interested because I show three textbook examples of the origin.

I have seen nothing in your presentation to match them.

Supply textbook examples of earlier origin. Then I will consider that there may be a possibility of known..widespread usage. Not a one-off.
                  Why should I care whether you will "consider that there may be a possibility of known...widespread usage"?

Did you actually read my earlier posts?

The fact that the expression "one off job" was published in a journal in 1912 proves, without doubt, that it existed prior to 1934. I don't need to provide any more examples, although I could if I wanted to.

Comment

Why should I care whether you will "consider that there may be a possibility of known...widespread usage"?

Did you actually read my earlier posts?

The fact that the expression "one off job" was published in a journal in 1912 proves, without doubt, that it existed prior to 1934. I don't need to provide any more examples, although I could if I wanted to.

Yeah..right.
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Yeah..right.
                      Seriously?

I mean, from the quote I provided which refers to "the familiar one off job" it clearly wasn't a one off reference and it must have been in existence for (probably) a few years before 1912, at least.

The same speech was also reported in the Proceedings of the British Foundrymens Association for August 1912 with the key part being as follows:

“as, for instance, the familiar “1 off” job in some of its forms…”

The use of "1 off" does, I think, show some unfamiliarity with the written form of this expression.

Comment

• I'll do one more, just for Phil.

From 'The Practical Engineer' of 12 January 1919:

‘OFTEN when a costly solid core box seems essential the patternmaker by the exercise of a little ingenuity can contrive a makeshift box, which is sufficiently strong for a few cores. It is grievous when the main core of a one-off job is simple, and time is a consideration to spend a long time in making a branch core box.'

Comment

• 1888 or before...keep trying
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

1888 or before...keep trying
                            Thanks for confirming you haven't read or understood a single thing I've posted in this thread!

Comment

Thanks for confirming you haven't read or understood a single thing I've posted in this thread!
                              Probably because it bores me.
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 12-15-2016, 04:09 PM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Probably because it bores me.
                                Thanks for re-confirming.

Comment

Working...
                                X