This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MayBea View Post
    Admittedly, like Unterweger's, the Diaries are usually jailhouse Diaries, or else they're written by women or young men in their teens.

The Maybrick Diary would be unusual in that sense.

However, serial killers, mass murderers and bombers have been known to write poetry and manifestos, and Jack the Ripper did cross criminal profile boundaries into spree killing and possibly terrorism. So I think it's a logical fit.
    From my brief reading of the cases, the majority are diaries found in their possession after their arrests rather than written following arrest.
    ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider View Post
      Well according to sources on the internet, she did keep a diary and is doing time for the murder of more than one of her children which qualifies her as a serial killer who kept a diary. Whether she is guilty or not would be down to the court. Where she lived is not important for the purpose of my reply to a previous post.

The point is that many serial killers do keep diaries in answer to the aforementioned post.

Regards
      1. Her place of residence shows how much you can rely on the internet.

2. The conviction is under judcial review.

3. How many of these diaries are contemporaneous with the crimes as Maybrick's purports to be and deal with the actual crimes? That is the real point and I suggest that was what the question was about, not how many keep diaries "I had eggs for breakfast" or "Lunch with Bob" or "Gaol sucks".
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Contemporaneous with details of the killings in the main. I'm not going to go back to them in detail it was a quick dip in the ether.
        ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• What Spider is alluding too is that some killers kept notes on their murders. Like essays. That's possible.

What we are looking for is a full diary like Maybricks.
          Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider View Post
            Contemporaneous with details of the killings in the main. I'm not going to go back to them in detail it was a quick dip in the ether.
            Certainly not Folbigg
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
              Well it may just as well be the diary of a nobody, Pcdunn, since I doubt the handwriting will be positively identified in the next 25, or even 125 years.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Ha! Yes, I see what you did there. Interesting...
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

• I think to many people wanted this diary to be true and did turn a blind eye to some very basic questions like the small one of where did it come from .
                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• I think it came from Battlecrease like you do.
                  Originally posted by Batman View Post
                  What we are looking for is a full diary like Maybricks.
                  Since full 'diaries' of serial killers aren't published much, I don't think we'll find one.

Comment

• Well, I don't think it came from Battlecrease. I think Michael Barrett's confessions to having forged it was true, in spite of later retractions and I believe that the original journal was written in a Victorian album which had been used to display postcards and photographs, hence the torn-out pages.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                      I think it came from Battlecrease like you do.

Since full 'diaries' of serial killers aren't published much, I don't think we'll find one.
                      I don't think any serial killers have kept full diaries with their murders included like the Maybrick one. Maybe some essays or notes or memories of what they did, but nothing like this.

Comment

• The closest I've found would be the Karla Homolka Diary.

I've only found a couple of excerpts though. She lists her spouse's abuse and then says she's planning to go get her stuff and go out for a good time.

Interestingly, she started it late in the story, after she left her husband. It appears to me she was writing it in case she got caught.

http://www.allthingscrimeblog.com/20...acks-the-deck/
                        Karla wrote in her diary on January 21st:
                        “So confused about what to do with my life…don’t know where I should live or what career I should choose; fear that I will go back to him. I wouldn’t in a million years. I’d rather go to jail…I miss being in the hospital. I should have stayed longer. Dr. Plaskos gave me more Ativan..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          Well, I don't think it came from Battlecrease. I think Michael Barrett's confessions to having forged it was true, in spite of later retractions and I believe that the original journal was written in a Victorian album which had been used to display postcards and photographs, hence the torn-out pages.
                          Mr Barretts not capable of forging anything
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• The whoremaster, from my reading of the Diary, had to be someone who was in London when Florence went to visit "her aunt" and was at the Grand National. I see no other candidate besides Brierley.
                            Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                            Did Maybrick also possess the gift of being able to foresee the future? He refers throughout the Diary to his wife Florence and her lover as 'the whore' and 'the whoremaster'.
                            This undoubtedly refers to an affair between Florence and Alfred Brierley.
                            Casebook: James Maybrick
                            In 1887 Florie discovered there was another woman in her husband's life... Later that same year, Florie met Alfred Brierly, a cotton broker, with whom she also had an affair. By this time, the couple had probably moved to separate beds, and the first Ripper murder was less than nine months away.
                            I've looked into the matter of the whoremaster, and I've come to agree with Rosella. I think Maybrick had a gift of foresight or of common sense to know that his wife would move on after she cut him off, and to see she had eyes for Brierley who was a younger version of himself.

Comment

• BTW - what is the actual response by Maybrick believers to the claim that it was predicted the diary would be missing front pages if a forgery... and was missing such pages on inspection?

Comment

• According to her testimony, on the morning after James'
                                death during the search of the house, Mrs Hughes found
                                compromising letters in Florence's vanity. Charles Ratcliffe
                                (another cotton broker) wrote to John Aunspaugh
                                about these letters and said they were from Edwin Maybrick,
                                Williams, and Alfred Brierley, twenty-five in all. Mrs Hughes
                                gave these to Michael Maybrick, who presumably destroyed
                                them, as Michael says they will never be produced in court,
                                and Williams said the same. The Ratcliffe letter was found
                                by Keith Skinner in the Trevor Christie collection held at the
                                University of Wyoming. See page 361 of Feldman's book
                                for the full text of the Ratcliffe letter.

Comment

Working...
                                X