This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post
    Sam's a great guy, and usually super smart.
    Many thanks for the kind words, Caz. You're usually super smart too.
    But beware his Annotated Diary as he did not bother to go back to the primary source
    True, because I was too mean to buy the original. That said, I'm fairly sure that the gremlins in the cheapo transcript don't materially alter those specific aspects of the text about which my observations were made.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      ...Would Maybrick ever have been a suspect without the watch and diary?
      If there was indeed a modern hoaxer, then, one way or another, he/she would have presented his or her case, since a lot of hoaxers believe in the premise behind their hoax. If not a Diary, then maybe a blog, a website, or a post or two on Casebook.

If there was no modern forger, then it would only be a matter of someone being convinced that the Ms at the crime scenes might be an initial, and then looking in British history books and going through the index under M.

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
        Hi all,
        Would any of you agree that Maybrick on his own and without the Diary or the watch ever coming to light, makes a credible suspect as any of the other top suspects in the case ?
        The diary and watch... real or not, just get in the way.

regards.
        Hi spyglass,maybrick couldn't have been our killer because he was in bulgaria at the time of the murders.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
          Hi spyglass,maybrick couldn't have been our killer because he was in bulgaria at the time of the murders.
          Are you sure?

Comment

• ]Are you sure?[/QUOTE]

Hi Kaz,I made that up about Bulgaria to show that after over 100 years you can write anything about anyone and it can never be proved however as Mr Barrett told me it can never be disproved.
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• G'Day Pinkmoon

Tch Tch Tch naughty naughty. .........
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                G'Day Pinkmoon

Tch Tch Tch naughty naughty. .........
                Hi gut,just to prove how hard it is to prove anyone's whereabouts over a hundred years ago Mr Barrett did say to me "diary can never be proved however it can never be disproved" and on this he is right.

Comment

• G'Day Pinkmoon

It is almost impossible to prove any negative.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                    Hi Kaz,I made that up about Bulgaria to show that after over 100 years you can write anything about anyone and it can never be proved however as Mr Barrett told me it can never be disproved.

Thats not strictly true though is it, many suspects have been ruled out thanks to evidence 'proving' they were somewhere else at the time. Why shouldn't evidence like that turn up regarding Maybrick?

Your mind may be made up and nothing will sway you, fortunately many of us remain open minded and will judge on what materializes.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                      ...'I frequented my club' means to go there frequently, while Sir Jim meant it in the sense of a single occasion, as in: 'I went to my club (last night or whenever)'.
                      Hi, Caz,

It took some time and some work but I finally found an old document where 'frequent' is used as "I went" or "I went to attend". It literally says, "On the 18th, I freqented a course in Chemistry."

It come from the memoirs of John Evelyn (1620-1706).

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ivlD...emoirs&f=false
                      Last edited by MayBea; 02-17-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayBea View Post

It took some time and some work but I finally found an old document where 'frequent' is used as "I went" or "I went to attend". It literally says, "On the 18th, I freqented a course in Chemistry."

It come from the memoirs of John Evelyn (1620-1706).
                        Ah, someone as daft as the Diary forger. Well found.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The noun "to frequent" is from the French frequenter, meaning 'to attend'.
                          What's the big deal?

Graham
                          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• I tend to agree with you, Graham. No biggy.

A proper usage of frequent seems to be "attend" as in "attend to a course", which is how John Evelyn used it, or attend as in attending to something that needs attention. A course would need attention and so would a Club.

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                            Ah, someone as daft as the Diary forger. Well found.
                            Thanks, Stephen. Googling "I frequented" and memoirs, I hit on John Evelyn's Diary which seems to have been quite famous in its time and still is a notable record of the 17 Century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              The noun "to frequent" is from the French frequenter, meaning 'to attend'.
                              What's the big deal?
                              It's from the Latin word frequens meaning 'numerous' or 'crowded'.
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Frequent

From Nuttall's Standard Dictionary, London, 1887 -

Frequent, a., repeated often; repeating often; full; crowded (L. frequens). Frequently, ad. often; commonly. Frequentness, s. the quality of being frequent.
                                Frequent, v.a. to resort to often.
                                Frequentage, s., practice of frequenting.
                                Frequentation, s., the habit of visiting often.
                                Frequentative, a. or s. a term applied to verbs signifying the frequent repetition of an action [Gram.]
                                Frequenter, s. one who often visits.
                                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Working...
                                X