X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
    PM,
    it really isn't my information to divulge, otherwise I would, and anyway it's only guesswork on my part. Let me just say that all will (hopefully) be revealed when Keith Skinner feels it right and proper to do so. Or you could ask Caz....

Graham
    I take it you mean this information from 2007 from Mr Skinner
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• I do. When I said that it isn't really my information to divulge, I wasn't implying that I had any concrete information at all - I should have made that more clear.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I do. When I said that it isn't really my information to divulge, I wasn't implying that I had any concrete information at all - I should have made that more clear.

Graham
        I will have to wait I do hope it brings this diary business to a conclusion and then we can go and waste our time and money on another solution to this long standing mystery
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

I do. When I said that it isn't really my information to divulge, I wasn't implying that I had any concrete information at all - I should have made that more clear.

Graham
          Hello Graham,if this 2007 information is going to be sold to the general public as the final answer to the mystery again after the first two final answers are we giving to believe it?Also by holding onto this information for so long people are going to ask why not release the truth straight away why wait years.

Comment

• Hi Pinky,

Demonstrating beyond reasonable doubt that the diary came out of Battlecrease would only be one small step towards the final answer to the mystery. That would involve the giant leap of identifying its author and their motive for writing and planting it in Maybrick's home.

Short of finding identifiable papers in the same hand as the diary, I don't see how that giant leap will ever be achieved, and motive can only be guessed without knowing who dunnit.

I don't agree that it had to be for profit. As Gladiator pointed out, anyone planting it in Battlecrease to give it the ideal provenance could have no possible claim to ownership without giving the game away. Even Mike Barrett could see he would lose ownership if Feldy could convince everyone it had been in Battlecrease. That puts Mike outside any conspiracy to engineer the perfect provenance: he has always refused to go along with it. And it also puts paid to the idea that the 'planter(s)' were in it for the money.

I wonder if someone heard about Florie's diaries doing the rounds, said to be hoaxes, and decided a spoof diary by "Sir Jim" (to be discovered at some point in the Maybrick house), claiming to be the most evil man in England, would make a fitting companion piece, given that in some circles Florie had become the most evil woman in England.

London 1888, Liverpool 1889.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
              Hi Pinky,

Demonstrating beyond reasonable doubt that the diary came out of Battlecrease would only be one small step towards the final answer to the mystery. That would involve the giant leap of identifying its author and their motive for writing and planting it in Maybrick's home.

Short of finding identifiable papers in the same hand as the diary, I don't see how that giant leap will ever be achieved, and motive can only be guessed without knowing who dunnit.

I don't agree that it had to be for profit. As Gladiator pointed out, anyone planting it in Battlecrease to give it the ideal provenance could have no possible claim to ownership without giving the game away. Even Mike Barrett could see he would lose ownership if Feldy could convince everyone it had been in Battlecrease. That puts Mike outside any conspiracy to engineer the perfect provenance: he has always refused to go along with it. And it also puts paid to the idea that the 'planter(s)' were in it for the money.

I wonder if someone heard about Florie's diaries doing the rounds, said to be hoaxes, and decided a spoof diary by "Sir Jim" (to be discovered at some point in the Maybrick house), claiming to be the most evil man in England, would make a fitting companion piece, given that in some circles Florie had become the most evil woman in England.

London 1888, Liverpool 1889.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Mike Barrett never took the opportunity to link diary to battle crease if he got it via the workmen he nor the workmen could say anything for the simple fact they could not profit because they wouldn't be legal owners also the police would be very interested in a theft of a valuable document.

Comment

• G'Day all

The diary totally fascinates me.

I am really far from persuaded that it is genuine.

But also have real doubts that it is a modern forgery. Too much information especially about Jimmy Boy and the Iron Migration tests say from about 1908 [1920 +/- 12 years].

I really can't buy that someone else forged it to get Florrie off. BUT

Just a thought what if Florrie, knowing she was going to kill James, did it and hid it away so if sentenced to death could say.....?

As I said just a thought, has it been compared to her handwriting, anyone know?
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  G'Day all

The diary totally fascinates me.

I am really far from persuaded that it is genuine.

But also have real doubts that it is a modern forgery. Too much information especially about Jimmy Boy and the Iron Migration tests say from about 1908 [1920 +/- 12 years].

I really can't buy that someone else forged it to get Florrie off. BUT

Just a thought what if Florrie, knowing she was going to kill James, did it and hid it away so if sentenced to death could say.....?

As I said just a thought, has it been compared to her handwriting, anyone know?
                  Hi gut,i originally thought the diary was forged by Mike Barrett however having met Mr Barrett quite a few times over the years I came to the conclusion very quickly that he is not capable of forging anything nor would anybody get him involved in any scam.I believe the diary was written around the time of florences trial for the purpose of making some money for what ever reason it was forgotten about and was removed from battlecrease many years later.

Comment

• G'Day Pinkmoon

So why did he say he had forged it?

That is one difficulty I have, usually when a person makes a fabricated confession it is in relation to a truly sensational, high profile case that is unsolved, as happened with Jack and Yorkshire Rippers.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

G'Day Pinkmoon

That is one difficulty I have, usually when a person makes a fabricated confession it is in relation to a truly sensational, high profile case that is unsolved, as happened with Jack and Yorkshire Rippers.
                      Hi gut,Mr Barrett has told lots of far fetched stories about the diary to me and lots of other people over the years.He told me lots of different stories all revolving round him been this master forger the one thing that he always said was all he wanted was to raise a few hundred quid to buy a decent greenhouse he never expected this to become so big.Mr Barrett is a loon he is not capable of forging anything and anyone with any sense would not get him involved with anything at any level.

Comment

• I accept your word, you know him, he sounds totally unreliable.

He wanted to raise a few hundred pound.

Why did he say he forged it, that wouldn't get him his money.

BTW how much did he make out of the Diary.
                        G U T

Comment

I accept your word, you know him, he sounds totally unreliable.

He wanted to raise a few hundred pound.

Why did he say he forged it, that wouldn't get him his money.

BTW how much did he make out of the Diary.
                          Hi gut,I'm sending you a personal message

Comment

• Thanks Pinkmoon
                            G U T

Comment

G'Day Pinkmoon

Hi GUT,

Well the diary itself is a fabricated confession to the 'truly sensational, high profile' Whitechapel Murders, which remain unsolved, so in that sense Mike's fabricated confession is in relation to such a case.

I suspect when Mike claimed to be a master forger, he believed the Maybrick diary had become as sensational and high profile as the ripper case itself, although in truth it never did and arguably never could. He was in damage limitation mode at the time, as his world had crumbled around him after his wife Anne left, taking their only daughter with her. He was bitter and also very angry with Paul Feldman, who appeared to be hellbent on 'proving' some family link back to Maybrick (aka JtR) from Mike or Anne, thereby making their daughter a direct descendant of the ripper.

Never mind if Mike knew it was all crazy nonsense that Feldy would never actually prove; his fear was that Feldy was so fanatical that he might convince the world, which would have been just as bad. The one way Mike figured he could take back the power and stop Feldy in his faux genealogical tracks was to say he faked the diary himself. And boy did it hit the spot! People have fallen hook, line and sinker for it ever since, in their rush to show they are not the gullible ones: "I told you so! I KNEW that scallywag scouser wrote it. The ink was barely dry when he tried to publish it... etc etc."

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Last edited by caz; 01-23-2014, 08:20 AM.
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• G'Day Caz

I suspect when Mike claimed to be a master forger, he believed the Maybrick diary had become as sensational and high profile as the ripper case itself, although in truth it never did and arguably never could.
                                Better put than I could, big in the Ripper world a tiny blip outside.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X