X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
    Graham

Graham
    Missed you, son - but you haven't been away so long that you have to repeat your name. We know who you are! You old Villan, you!

Your pal and knower of tons of things that haven't even happened yet ...

Soothsayer
    Soothsayer

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
      Hi all,
      To those who claim to know and have evidence that the diary is a hoax, yet get a bit cross when asked to reveal all, I am sure that if I was to announce to the world that I had One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which proves the diary genuine, then every member on the casebook would be demanding me to tell all.
      Spysie,

It's you and me against the world, my boy - keep the faith!

Comment

• Soothie Soothie,

repeating names is a habit the old have. I sometimes wonder if Omlor Omlor still reads the Diary threads. But it's good to know that Caz Caz is still around, bless her.

Don't take any wooden nickels, and keep your bowels open.

Best,

Graham
        Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
          I'm not implying anything, merely stating facts.
          Hi Stewart,

I genuinely hope that you are prepared to share these facts with us. Until then, you are not 'stating the facts', you are simply implying that there are facts to be shared!

Could we just have the facts, please, rather than the teasing promise of them?

Comment

• Fact

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
            I genuinely hope that you are prepared to share these facts with us. Until then, you are not 'stating the facts', you are simply implying that there are facts to be shared!
            Could we just have the facts, please, rather than the teasing promise of them?
            Fact - in 1992 I was working closely with Keith Skinner.

Fact - I was subsequently often at Feldman's office where the 'diary' story was being developed and where Shirley and Sally sometimes had meetings prior to the publication of the book.

Fact - I have extensive files and information (much of it unpublished) on all aspects of the 'diary' story and including some original material.

All of which implies nothing and was mentioned by me merely to indicate that I must be more informed on the 'diary' than the average contributor to these boards.

My questions as to where you were at the time and whether you were involved in the 'diary' story indicated that unless you have/had the access to knowledge and information that I possess then I, surely, am better informed on this subject than you.

Fact - I am not obliged to share or publish any material in my possession and I won't be, so don't hold your breath. I imply nothing and I am making no 'teasing promises'.

Fact - I have no interest in further debate with any person whose identity is unknown to me.
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
              Fact - I have no interest in further debate with any person whose identity is unknown to me.
              Fair enough. (Incidentally, I'm taking it on trust that you really are 'Stewart P Evans').

As you depart stage left, I remain utterly bereft of any sense that the volumes of material you have on the journal have in any sense whatsoever raised your status from that of the rest of us. I suspect that all that this confirms is that it doesn't matter how much material an individual gathers on this artefact, its origins become no clearer, and its veracity (or otherwise) no firmer. The more I hear that someone knows the journal's history well, and yet still cannot add to our knowledge of it, the more I believe that there is much more to this journal than meets the mere eye.

In a sense, you have enhanced the journal's position raher than even vaguely confounded it ... and for this I thank you, Stewart P Evans (or whoever you really are).

Comment

• Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
                Fair enough. (Incidentally, I'm taking it on trust that you really are 'Stewart P Evans').

As you depart stage left, I remain utterly bereft of any sense that the volumes of material you have on the journal have in any sense whatsoever raised your status from that of the rest of us. I suspect that all that this confirms is that it doesn't matter how much material an individual gathers on this artefact, its origins become no clearer, and its veracity (or otherwise) no firmer. The more I hear that someone knows the journal's history well, and yet still cannot add to our knowledge of it, the more I believe that there is much more to this journal than meets the mere eye.

In a sense, you have enhanced the journal's position raher than even vaguely confounded it ... and for this I thank you, Stewart P Evans (or whoever you really are).
                Hello Soothsayer

I have been in communication with Stewart Evans on many occasions about the early days when the Diary was first sprung upon the world. Stewart is indeed who he says he is, the author of a number of well received books on the Whitechapel murders. Stewart has a unique take on those early months when the Diary was first examined by experts in the field including himself. He had the opportunity to meet all the actors in the story and was able to make personal assessments of them. You dismiss his views at your peril, Soothsayer.

Best regards

Chris
                Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                  You dismiss his views at your peril, Soothsayer.

Chris
                  Hi Chris,

I know exactly who SPE is and I'm not dismissing his views as categorically as it may appear. He's gone now, stage left and all that, but our recent exchange was so very much like so very many before it - journal-denier makes claims or intimates claims and when challenged to reveal all reveals only their lack of evidence or their lack of willingness to divulge it - that it endlessly disappoints the truth-seeking soul whose hopes are raised then cruelly dashed against the rocks of unanswered questions.

Should we not hope any longer for answers from those who make such claims? Should we not - as my other old pal Percy Shelley claimed - 'hope 'til hope creates from its own wreck the thing it contemplates'?

If only we knew what the hell Percy was referring to, we might know how to dispense with hope only then to create it. In the meantime, I can only hope that people will provide answers occasionally to their claims - whether they are a complete dilettante such as I, or semi-icons of the cause such as SPE.

I don't wish to be an iconoclast, but being so well informed does not make you unchallengable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi Spyglass,

Crap is crap, irrespective of when it was written, which in this case, I would suggest, was in the late 1980s.

Read it again [if you can bear to do so] and ponder all the things it so studiously avoids.

Regards,

Simon
                    Hello Simon,
                    As I am still eagerly awaiting your book to hit the book stores, I may well have to read it again, however you boasted on the podcast that you have never read the book yourself ( I just double checked ) so am I to assume you have read it recently?, and if so what made you decide to do so now, was there something bothering you about it ?

Regards.

Comment

• Hi Spyglass,

Thank you. Nobody is more eager for my book to hit the stores than me.

I didn't realise I'd said I hadn't read the diary. Whoops! Sorry about that. I actually bought a copy, mainly because a friend told me I'd been mentioned in connection with it, which was certainly breaking news to me.

I recently re-read it to see if I'd missed anything first time around. But no; it still read like the drivel I remembered, still played fast and loose with the "facts". Nothing bothers me about it, except perhaps for the credulity of the people who seem to have been consulted prior to its publication.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Sorry, got here late and I'm not about to read 940 posts. (Some of the ones I glanced at seem silly.) So, you're writing a book, Simon? What's it about?

Comment

• Hi GM,

I'll give you three guesses.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Well, if you force me to guess, I'd guess yet another Diary book. But that must be wrong because, as you know, hardly anyone would buy it...not even me, and I buy just about everything about JtR.

Comment

• Hi GM,

Only two guesses left.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• combination

Hello Simon. Permit me to use those two guesses?

Is it about:

1. JTR?

or

2. The dustman trade?

Question: could these two motifs be combined in one book?

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X