This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    I know the diary is modern-day crap, because I was the person who, in 1987/88, first posited the idea of initials on the wall.

Hi Simon.

I was aware that you had suggested there may have been letters in the MK photo years ago, I just don’t know the context.
    Was your suggestion publicised anywhere around that time so that the forger may have seen it?
    Also, did you suggest what the letters may have been where they were etc?

Apologies if you’ve answered these questions many times before

Comment

• Without Simon Wood, we wouldn't be discussing this thread now.

The Baron

Comment

• Hi Yabs,

It happened at a City Darts 'Jack the Ripper Seminar' in 1989. I was probably talking to just Martin Fido and Keith Skinner (Paul Begg, living in Leeds at the time, made only occasional visits to London) about turning a black and white photograph into colour. I had seen this demonstrated on TV and thought it might be an idea to experiment with the Kelly photograph. During this, or a subsequent conversation, I pointed out the initials on the wall, reasoning in true Grand Guignol style that Kelly had finger-painted the murderer's initials on the partition wall beside her bed.

"Depending on which printed copy (Rumbelow, Farson, Begg, Knight etc.) of the Kelly photograph is examined, the initials appear more or less indistinct, and I thought the best exposure was in the Sphere paperback edition of Dan Farson's book.

My discovery was pounced upon with enthusiasm, but try as we may none of us could decipher the initials, let alone fit them to a suspect. And there, as far as I am concerned, the matter was dropped.

Four years later, in Shirley Harrison's book, this became—

"In 1976 Stephen Knight's "Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution" reproduced the picture with enough clarity to show that there appeared to be some initials on the wall partition behind Mary Kelly's bed, although they were not pointed out until 1988. The crime researcher Simon Wood mentioned them to Paul Begg."

Now you know the story of the initials on the wall.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• That’s a great help Simon, thanks for that.

Comment

• Orsam has examined one of the best -if not the best- photos in existence, and there was no letters on the wall, all what we have here on these low quality copies are just artifacts and they don't form the alleged FM either.

The Baron

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

If anyone has any evidence that the 'FM' on Kelly's wall that are so easily seen in countless incarnations of the photograph are not there, can I strongly recommend that they publish the actual evidence of it (not simply talk about having such evidence) so that we can all see that how they aren't there after all?

I don't believe anyone takes seriously so remarkable a claim simply on the strength of the words of the claimant himself?

Ike
              Iconoclast
              Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• You start. Publish irrefutable evidence the FM on Kelly's wall was there.
                Last edited by Simon Wood; 10-25-2021, 07:01 PM. Reason: Spolling mistook

Comment

• The irony!

I wonder then why anyone takes seriously so remarkable a claim simply on the strength of the words of the hoaxer himself?!

The Baron

Comment

• Hello Simon, I will start

First the original photo (1,324 × 1,506 pixels, file size: 487 KB) , taken from this site:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Srkelly.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	771733

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211025_212444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.1 KB ID:	771734

The same photo in grayscale

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211025_212244.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	771735

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211025_212411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.8 KB ID:	771736

There is clearly no letters on the wall.

The Baron
                    Last edited by The Baron; 10-25-2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Thank you, Baron.

Simon

Comment

• And here's me thinking we were about to see some versions of that infamous photograph which didn't contain the letters 'F' and 'M'. What a disappointment for us all.

Mind you, word to the wise, I pointed-out the other day (search on 'Mona Lisa from a Distance') that all detail gets lost when you blow it up so much the definition is lost. It looks as though someone didn't get the memo.

Look, save the theatrics. Give us the pyrotechnics - David, I'm pretty sure you read all this stuff (cough) so show us the mythical original you mention on your one-third website where no shred whatsoever of Florrie's initials are on show. Give us the fireworks - amaze us, bedazzle us, inspire us, convince us!
                        Iconoclast

Comment

• "And here's me thinking we were about to see some versions of that infamous photograph which didn't contain the letters 'F' and 'M'."

So which of Baron's photographs did contain the letters 'F' and 'M'?

Amaze, bedazzle and inspire us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            "And here's me thinking we were about to see some versions of that infamous photograph which didn't contain the letters 'F' and 'M'."

So which of Baron's photographs did contain the letters 'F' and 'M'?

Amaze, bedazzle and inspire us.
                            The blown-up one didn’t because it had been blown-up out of all proportion but the other three were exactly the same as all other versions of the photograph. And that’s not really surprising given that that’s what they were.

And I was so excited that we were going to see some evidence for the claim that they aren’t there - something you clearly could never provide Simon as you went out of your way to point them out all those years ago.
                            Iconoclast

Comment

• Fascinating debate.

I too see F & M - which may not shock many.

Ike is correct, when an image is "blown up" from a low resolution source then the pixels are stretched and distorted. It does not reflect accurately what is on the original image. Cat Boy's 500kb image is low res. End of debate.

If anyone can provide the original print or even better still, monochrome - I will convert it into colour and we can debate the source image, instead of the various low-res distorted versions flying around the internet.
                              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                              JayHartley.com

Comment

• First, this is an image that was posted here in this thread by one of the diary defenders, I downloaded it from here, and it was only 233x165 pixels, and only 71 KB, yes, very poor, it is more poor than one can ever imagine, the image of Kellys I posted earlier is 1324×1506 pixels and 487 KB!

Here is the photograph:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21585.png
Views:	1911
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	771757

Then I will cut two small letters from the image above and will post the smaller image here, it is very small, one can hardly recognise the two letters, it is only 18x15 pixels, and only 1 KB , yes only 1KB!! :

Name:	IMG_20211026_010113.jpg
Views:	1926
Size:	819 Bytes
ID:	771758

Now, I will blow-up this little thing x100 times!! Yes, one hundred time bigger, it will now become 1800x1500 pixels, and 493 KB!

Name:	IMG_20211026_005516.jpg
Views:	2022
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	771759

Can you see the two small letters now or not?!

Did we lost them ?! Did they turn into 2 different things ?!

Of course not, because we have letters here, so we were able to see them clearly, but if you don't have anything, well, you will find nothing!

The Baron

Comment

Working...
                                X