Acquiring A Victorian Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
    Ike, it was our Sam in Post 1781 who showed us the cutting containing the phrase 'one off-sale'. With a totally different connotation to our longed-for and elusive 'one-off'. But the day will come....

Graham
    Hi Graham,

Sam's example is from an American publication of 1860 (and this does not contradict Lord Orsam's theory). The one harry is quoting is apparently from a British newspaper of 1871 (and could contradict Lord Orsam's theory depending upon what it actually states).

Cheers,

Ike
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Yes Ike, I understand that...but we haven't seen Harry's example yet, have we? I've got the champers on ice, and the caviare ready....

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Yes Ike, I understand that...but we haven't seen Harry's example yet, have we? I've got the champers on ice, and the caviare ready....

Graham
        I was tempted to make a truly crappy joke about this being in anticipation of Villa picking up a point this weekend until my brain informed me of the obvious glass-houses impact this would have in my life so I shan't.

Interestingly, whilst I'm on a Villa theme, did you realise that it is nine years to the day that we beat you 6-0 for our first win back in the Premiership after the banners thing? Andy Carroll hat-trick. Now, whatever happened to him?

PS I'm not blaming you personally for the banners thing, and I'm actually almost over it now. I believe that guy has been banned from entering any home furnishings-related store within 30 miles of Solihull? Personally, I feel he should have done time, but there you go ...
        Iconoclast

Comment

• Oooh, salt in the wound, you rotter! I do remember that drubbing and I do remember Andy Carroll. Back with the Toon, I see. Don't mention his name too loudly if you're ever alone on a wet night at chucking-out time in Brum. The banner was a bit naughty, but it didn't matter too much, did it, as your lot were back up again after just the one season in the Chumpionship. The bloke who made the banner also made one taking the mickey out of David O'Leary, which I suppose was fair enough.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Don't mention his name too loudly if you're ever alone on a wet night at chucking-out time in Brum.
            Graham
            Worth it for a crazy night out on Broad Street, though - one of the UK's much-underrated evenings!
            Iconoclast

Comment

• I do not intend to participate in any arguments on the matter.I searched for the term to satisfy my own curiousity,after being labeled a clown.I do not believe M aybrick was jack the Ripper,and I have no idea who wrote the diary or when. The 1871 example I refer to used the term 'one off' as written here.it was to advertise the retail of a certain goods,at a once only price.A 'one off' event.There is no ambiguity in the advertisement.It does not,in my opinion,differ in meaning,from the 'one off' used in the diary.I have had clarification of that from an independent source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal

maybe if you could string two coherent sentences together it might help people understand your mindless banter. maybe not.

you have no idea who wrote the diary? Ill give you a hint harry. it wasnt you.
                Hi Abby,

You should retract your last post. It is a disgrace to the Casebook and to you. Harry's post was perfectly clear to anyone with a clear mind. His post was perfectly cogent whereas yours was extraordinarily aggressive and misdirected.

I'm serious - you need to apologise for post #1792.

Harry, if you tell us which newspaper you saw it in, we can research it for ourselves. No-one is doubting your information, we just need to see it. In providing it, you are not participating in a debate, merely furnishing the backing for your claim. That's how research works. No one will accuse you of claiming the scrapbook was written by James Maybrick.

Lord Orsam shouldn't have called you a 'clown', but honestly see it as a badge of honour that you got under his skin so easily.

Cheers,

Ike
                Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                  I do not intend to participate in any arguments on the matter.I searched for the term to satisfy my own curiousity,after being labeled a clown.I do not believe M aybrick was jack the Ripper,and I have no idea who wrote the diary or when. The 1871 example I refer to used the term 'one off' as written here.it was to advertise the retail of a certain goods,at a once only price.A 'one off' event.There is no ambiguity in the advertisement.It does not,in my opinion,differ in meaning,from the 'one off' used in the diary.I have had clarification of that from an independent source.
                  Where is this 1871 example to which you refer?
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal

maybe if you could string two coherent sentences together it might help people understand your mindless banter. maybe not.

you have no idea who wrote the diary? Ill give you a hint harry. it wasnt you.
                    Keyboard Warriors! Totally uncalled for comment. Reported.
                    ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• Harry, Orsam is no longer on these boards, as he has been banned by Admin. It is likely that what you posted has rattled his cage, as Ike suggests, and I for one would dearly love to see the newspaper reference to 'one off' to which you allude. Please reconsider.

FWIW, Harry, I'm not yet convinced that Maybrick was the Ripper, but I am convinced that the Barretts had nothing whatsoever to do with the conception and production of The Diary.

Graham

Comment

• Do not worry Spider,Abby is showing her usual ignorance in matters that are past her level of understanding.
                        I have indicated what the subject matter was but for those who like Abby can't differentiate between two pieces of string,here is the advert
                        One off retail of sultanas at 6 pence per pound.
                        That is all that should be of interest.It does as does the diary,relate to a one off instance of an event.It means that the sultanas at that price is offered only once.
                        That incidentally goes further than the claim by Orsam that the use of one off in the 19th century, w as unknown.
                        Now to the question of what British paper that ad was entered.I feel under no obligation to reveal the source,but I will reveal it in a private message to Graham,if he so wishes.That's not intended as a snub to other posters by the way,but I feel posters like Abby do not deserve a consideration.

Comment

• If the sultanas are being sold by the pound, how can it be a one off?
                          " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

• Need to read the whole article for context really.
                            because it sounds like it suggests one off the usual retail price of 6 pence per pound.

keeping an open mind until I find it though
                            Last edited by Yabs; 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                              Need to read the whole article for context really.
                              because it sounds like it suggests one off the usual retail price of 6 pence per pound.

keeping an open mind until I find it though
                              Yes, harry, we need the name of the newspaper, please, and - even better - the article scanned in. Without the reference, we can't do anything with your research.

Cheers,

Ike "Very Excited But Holding My Breath" Iconoclast
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• you all are right. my response to Harry was out of line and I apologize Harry. sorry. admin please feel free to strike my offending post.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X