Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacob the Ripper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post

    Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed it.

    I have a couple of projects to get done first, but the next 'big' book will be a similar biography of Wynne Baxter - Life and Times of a Victorian Coroner.
    I look forward to it Adam. I don’t know if my memory is tricking me but its telling me that Gary Barnett told me that his grandfather was once up in front of Baxter?
    Regards

    Herlock




    “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
    “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
    “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
    “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
    “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

    Comment


    • #47
      id like to know what the "family ties to the wentworth buildings" are and how its establshed that he was the cousin of mitre square witness joseph levy? as it says in the blurb to their book from the link
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

      -Edgar Allan Poe


      "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

      -Frederick G. Abberline

      Comment


      • #48
        They were first cousins. Their fathers were brothers.
        Tracy goes into this in her 2018 conference talk.

        http://www.rippercast.com/mp3/2018_EEC_Tracy_Ianson.mp3

        JM

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          They were first cousins. Their fathers were brothers.
          Tracy goes into this in her 2018 conference talk.

          http://www.rippercast.com/mp3/2018_EEC_Tracy_Ianson.mp3

          JM
          thanks for this. will listen to soon. this for me is important because i think the validity of him as a suspect hinges on this. without there is nothing that ties him to the case.

          regardless though, congrats to the iansons on the book.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

          -Edgar Allan Poe


          "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

          -Frederick G. Abberline

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

            I look forward to it Adam. I don’t know if my memory is tricking me but its telling me that Gary Barnett told me that his grandfather was once up in front of Baxter?
            He was, Mike.

            Baxter insulted my granddad’s cousin by suggesting she wasn’t married to the victim (she was), and called the witnesses in general ‘a right crew’ because of their drunken behaviour.

            Here’s the subsequent OB trial. My grandad was Charles Humphries (some of the time ;-) ).

            https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...-785#highlight

            In the family story, the woman sitting on the lodging house window sill (I think she was called Curly Sarah) was the real cause of the altercation.
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-09-2020, 07:44 AM.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              id like to know what the "family ties to the wentworth buildings" are and how its establshed that he was the cousin of mitre square witness joseph levy? as it says in the blurb to their book from the link
              If you read the book, you'll find out!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                He was, Mike.

                Baxter insulted my granddad’s cousin by suggesting she wasn’t married to the victim (she was), and called the witnesses in general ‘a right crew’ because of their drunken behaviour.

                Here’s the subsequent OB trial. My grandad was Charles Humphries (some of the time ;-) ).

                https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...-785#highlight

                In the family story, the woman sitting on the lodging house window sill (I think she was called Curly Sarah) was the real cause of the altercation.
                Very nice story, Gary!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post

                  Very nice story, Gary!
                  The victim’s wife had been banged up on the night of the killing for a completely separate punch-up with another woman in the Three Cranes. They probably were a ‘right crew’, but the comment and the questioning of the woman’s marital status seems rather callous in the light of the fact that the man she lived with had just been killed.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    id like to know what the "family ties to the wentworth buildings" are and how its establshed that he was the cousin of mitre square witness joseph levy? as it says in the blurb to their book from the link
                    Hi Abby,

                    I read the book just over a week ago. The Wentworth Buildings tie-in is the Levy’s mother lived at 198 Wentworth Buildings and his brother Isaac lived at number 214. The authors suggest that Levy could have gone home to Middlesex Street after Mitre Square. His house was close to the junction of New Goulston Street and so the graffito doorway was just around the corner. They suggest that he then went straight through the buildings passageway to his mothers house which is in a direct line. The problem is that they haven’t been able to find out if there was a rear exit (the authors admit this by the way)
                    Regards

                    Herlock




                    “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                    “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                    “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                    “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                    “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

                      Hi Abby,

                      I read the book just over a week ago. The Wentworth Buildings tie-in is the Levy’s mother lived at 198 Wentworth Buildings and his brother Isaac lived at number 214. The authors suggest that Levy could have gone home to Middlesex Street after Mitre Square. His house was close to the junction of New Goulston Street and so the graffito doorway was just around the corner. They suggest that he then went straight through the buildings passageway to his mothers house which is in a direct line. The problem is that they haven’t been able to find out if there was a rear exit (the authors admit this by the way)
                      thanks herlock
                      and how is the cousin thing established?
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

                      -Edgar Allan Poe


                      "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                      -Frederick G. Abberline

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I’d add to my first post though that Levy’s mother died in May so the house was either empty or more likely occupied by someone else.

                        I don’t have the book with me at the moment Abby and I’m not good at following genealogy but what I couldn’t understand was that it appeared to me that that Jacob’s father was Hyams brother which would make Hyam his uncle. I’ve obviously misunderstood something though. Someone will be able to explain it. Maybe Gary Barnett might know?
                        Regards

                        Herlock




                        “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                        “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                        “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                        “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                        “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          The problem is that they haven’t been able to find out if there was a rear exit (the authors admit this by the way)

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	wentworth.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	742628

                          This supposedly shows the rear of the Wentworth Buildings. Note the arched passage on the left, bricked-over.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	wentworth.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	742628

                            This supposedly shows the rear of the Wentworth Buildings. Note the arched passage on the left, bricked-over.
                            Thanks for that Roger. Do you know when that photograph was taken?
                            Regards

                            Herlock




                            “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                            “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                            “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                            “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                            “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Hi Michael. It was taken by Paul Harrison sometime before 1991, maybe further research can confirm whether it's "kosher." Cheers.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                                what I couldn’t understand was that it appeared to me that that Jacob’s father was Hyams brother which would make Hyam his uncle. I’ve obviously misunderstood something though. Someone will be able to explain it. Maybe Gary Barnett might know?

                                A slide from Tracy's 2018 conference talk.


                                Click image for larger version  Name:	4d088f75-ee9a-4883-881b-83009fb158fc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	742648




                                JM

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X