Lechmere-Cross bye bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
    Interpretation and validity are two different paths. An interpretation can often deem to be true or false regardless of the validity of the sources. It's what happened to Einstein's theory when he came out with E=MC square!!

Respectfully,
    Hercule Poirot
    Hi Hercule,

Einstein was not an historian. But thanks anyway!

Kind regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      So explain to me before I go to bed, David; when you concoct your tailormade timeline, pushing things to reach your goal, it becomes every bit as viable as my timeline is.
      But when I use the times that were actually given, I end up with nonsense.

How does that work?
      You see Fisherman, you have missed the whole point. It is YOU who is claiming that on the evidence there is a massive timing gap. Not me. You! The reason you are doing it (of course) is to establish that Cross had plenty of time to murder Nichols. What I am saying is that this is not necessarily the case and that the timings - on the evidence - can be made perfectly consistent with innocence because if it happened the way I've set it out there is no timing gap at all. None.

Of course, if you want to, you can create a huge gap by having Cross leave his house at 3.25 or 3.20 in the way you've already created one by having him leave at dead on 3.30. Heck, if he was the murderer we don't have to believe a word he says and he might have left at 3.00 or been out all night. So what I'm saying is that, sure, you can construct a 17 minute gap if you want to but please don't say that this gap actually needs to be explained or that it is suspicious or proves anything because you've just created it yourself in exactly the same way that I've created a timeline which fits with the evidence.

I hope you are understanding this. Basically it would be equally nonsense if I said that there is absolutely no way that Cross could have had the time to murder Nichols because on the evidence there is no gap there. You could then adjust the timings in the evidence (because they are all approximate) to show me that there could have been a gap for him to do the murder. Then you would be right and I would be talking nonsense.

Do you see this Fisherman? Do you follow me and understand me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        It is made through the problems of validity of giving a timeline based on minutes from various newspapers. And why spend years on minutes?
        That's not the problem Pierre. It is the problem of validity of giving a timeline based on witness approximations of the times they did something without any explanations provided of how they fixed the (approximate) timings that they offered in their evidence. It's got nothing to do with newspapers and would be the exact same problem if we had copies of the official witness depositions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hi Hercule,

Einstein was not an historian. But thanks anyway!

Kind regards, Pierre
          I simply offered an example in the science domain which history is part of. Anyway, regardless of my example, the point I made remains.

Respectfully,
          Hercule Poirot

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            He lived about 60 seconds away from Bucks Row.

I'm suggesting that Paul was no more than a minute behind Cross. In fact, as Cross was turning into Buck's Row, Paul was probably leaving his house. By the time Cross has worked out that the bundle on the floor is a body he can hear Paul entering Buck's Row.
            60 seconds? I didn't know he was that close.

You're suggestion is, of course, extremely possible. It would explain why they didn't see one another.

I appreciate the info.

Columbo.

Comment

Nor do I see any time being wasted by Thain. Neil says that he called his colleague, and it seems it involved very little conversation:
              Without disturbing the body he called a constable who was passing along Brady street. He came, and the witness said to him, "Here's a woman has cut her throat. Run at once for Dr. Llewellyn."
              Why would he tell Thain to "run at once" for the doctor, only to then engage in a lenghty discussion with him about the aspects of the case, hidden from the inquest?
              It makes no sense to me.
              There is a report of what Thain said at the Inquest which, to me, would seem to reflect what Neil actually said to Thain:
              The Illustrated Police News reported [that Thain stated] that Neil said "For God's sake, Jack, go and fetch the doctor."
              This, to me, has a ring of truth about it. I believe these are the words that Neil actually said to Thain.

Comment

• Seems that senior police did give considerable thought to the Nichols murder,as would be expexted.Timings and so forth.
                Yet not a mention of guilt being placed on Cross.Nothing that suggests he w as considered other than just a witness.The press too,and there is nothing that suggests this view altered over time.Why would that be?My opinion is they considered the circumstances carefully,and that the evidence didn't indicate guilt.They were in attendance,on the scene,in contact with the participants.A big advantage.

Comment

You see Fisherman, you have missed the whole point. It is YOU who is claiming that on the evidence there is a massive timing gap. Not me. You! The reason you are doing it (of course) is to establish that Cross had plenty of time to murder Nichols. What I am saying is that this is not necessarily the case and that the timings - on the evidence - can be made perfectly consistent with innocence because if it happened the way I've set it out there is no timing gap at all. None.

Of course, if you want to, you can create a huge gap by having Cross leave his house at 3.25 or 3.20 in the way you've already created one by having him leave at dead on 3.30. Heck, if he was the murderer we don't have to believe a word he says and he might have left at 3.00 or been out all night. So what I'm saying is that, sure, you can construct a 17 minute gap if you want to but please don't say that this gap actually needs to be explained or that it is suspicious or proves anything because you've just created it yourself in exactly the same way that I've created a timeline which fits with the evidence.

I hope you are understanding this. Basically it would be equally nonsense if I said that there is absolutely no way that Cross could have had the time to murder Nichols because on the evidence there is no gap there. You could then adjust the timings in the evidence (because they are all approximate) to show me that there could have been a gap for him to do the murder. Then you would be right and I would be talking nonsense.

Do you see this Fisherman? Do you follow me and understand me?
                  Why the upset tone? It cannot be good for the blood pressure, David.

I have no problems whatsoever to understand what you are saying. I think the problem we are mutually experiencing lies elsewhere. And that problem is one you share with many posters out here.
                  I will show you what I mean. Hereīs a quotation from one of your posts:
                  I remind you that this discussion began as a result of your claim that "Thain spent up towards 18-19 minutes on a walk that should have occupied around two minutes of brisk walking".

Here, you say that I claim that Thains walk took him 18-19 minutes. But that predisposed that the schedule I spoke of was in place. It was an "if-so" reasoning. It took itīs start from, if I remember correctly, how I said that IF Lechmere left home at 3.30, then he SHOULD have been in Bucks Row at 3.37, and the developments afterwards would in such a case point to a large gap of time on behalf of Thain where there should only be a two minute walk. I think the scenario involved Thain arriving at Llewellyns place at 4 AM, as is said in reports.
                  Other reports say five to four. Meaning that the gap would be cut to 13-14 minutes. Which would still be totally unreasonable.

The object of the scenario was to show how it seems more likely for Paul to have been in place at 3.45 to 3.40.

After that, you have stepped in and added time here and there, changing departure times to what you think is reasonable to allow for, putting Lechmere standing still in the middle of the road for a full minute, waiting for Paul, although it seems clear from the reports that Lechmere says that he heard Pauls footsteps immediately he stepped ut into the road. And Paul was hurrying along, meaning that he came upon Lechmere quickly.

Basically, you are saying that we can, with a little work and some generously added minutes, dissolve the picture that Paul was correct on the time Nichols was found. And you have showed that we can do that.

What I am saying is that much as we can do this (and we can stretch it even further than you do, all that takes is that we say "there is nothing strange with this"), the evidence given points to another picture than the one you propose.

At the end of the day, what I need to do when presenting Lechmere as a suspect is to show how he functions in the killerīs role, and that there are no obstacles to the suggestion. I am very aware that innocent alternative explanations can be used for all the elements involved. What I am saying is that it is the number of elements that is a problem for the carman. So it all boils down to the quality of the respective guilty and innocent explanations.
                  In this case, if we go by the timings given as if they were exact timings, we end up with a picture that fits Pauls suggestion of a finding time of 3.45 like a glove.
                  If we add a few more fingers to the creation, we end up with your kind of glove. Itīs still a glove, but it has got a number of additions. You need to say "but if it was not 3.30, if it was 3.33?", "but if they took longer to do the trek than Paul thought?", "but if Paul lied to get Neil in trouble?", "but if Llewellyn meant 3.52 when he said four or 3.55?", "but if, but if, but if...?"

Yes, obviously, if "if" applies all over the line, then we may need to accept that Paul could have been there at 3.40. I cannot dispell all the "ifs", of course.

But there is one "if" that I would like you to drop: the "if" I understand part. I have no problems whatsoever to follow your reasoning. I donīt think I am lagging behind you intellectually to such a degree so as to be disenabled to understand your reasoning. But that does not mean that I have to agree with you that a scenario where we push all factors in the same direction to reach a time we want to reach is as valid as one where no pushing is done.

Clever as you are, I bank on you understading that. And that was no irony, by the way.
                  Last edited by Fisherman; 04-17-2016, 12:16 AM.

Comment

rent claim to a newspaper reporter that he entered Buck's Row at "exactly" 3.Just to add for those new to this discussion who are impressed by Paul's appa45, there can be little doubt that this was a response (either by Paul himself or the reporter spicing up the story) to the official police claim that PC Neil had found the body at 3.45. The scoop of the story in Lloyds Weekly Newspaper was that this was the first time it had been revealed, over 24 hours after news of the discovery of the murder, that the body had been found by civilians. Paul's (or the reporter's) emphasis on 3.45 was to make the point that PC Neil could not possibly have found the body because Paul was in Bucks Row with the victim at that time.
                    e
                    From th above timeline I have posted, that could well have been absolutely correct. And, of course, Paul was right that he and Cross, not Neil were the first to find the body.
                    Two things here:

1. You write that "there can be little doubt" that the 3.45 time was given to embarrass the police.
                    I disagree. There can be A LOT of doubt about that. It is a possibility, but by no means something that is a near certainty.

2. Paul and Lechmere were not the first to find the body. It was never a joint venture. Lechmere himself was the first finder, and Paul joined him afterwards. How long afterwards cannot be established.

Comment

• Originally posted by Billiou View Post
                      There is a report of what Thain said at the Inquest which, to me, would seem to reflect what Neil actually said to Thain:
                      The Illustrated Police News reported [that Thain stated] that Neil said "For God's sake, Jack, go and fetch the doctor."
                      This, to me, has a ring of truth about it. I believe these are the words that Neil actually said to Thain.
                      Thatīs fully possible. The implications remain the same: Thain and Neil only exchanged the fewest of words, and it was a very quick affair.

Comment

Lechmere himself was the first finder, and Paul joined him afterwards. How long afterwards cannot be established.
                        Is that a first?
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          Is that a first?
                          Is what a first? (He asked, sensing that the answer will be "the first time you cannot pin down an uncertain time to the second - but letīs see!)
                          Last edited by Fisherman; 04-17-2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Is what a first? (He asked, sensing that the answer will be "the first time you cannot pin down an uncertain time to the second - but letīs see!)
                            Nope, the first time you've called Cross a finder.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Two things.
                              "for gods sake Jack go and fetch a doctor"
                              Thain goes to Llewelln.Would he understand that was the doctor in mind,or was Llewelln a sort of doctor on call to the police.I presume there was several doctors resident in the area.
                              Secondly,we do not know how long the killer was in the company of Nichols before killing her,It could have been se veral to many minutes.
                              Yes I know the blood evidence will be thrown up,but how reliable is that,and did the police at that time consider it.Yes I know it would be a medical call,but it would be communicated to the police for consideration,to go with other evidence that was their call.and they still thought of Cross as a witness and not a killer.Cannot ignore their consideration.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                Nope, the first time you've called Cross a finder.
                                Aha.

No.

Whether he found Nichols when alive and looking for business or when dead is another matter. Lechmere and Paul did not find her jointly at any rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X